cheaper replacement power cable?

irid10t

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
So m yCN (running CM7 happily) is charging, and the baby grabs the cord. Not quick enough on my end, Nook falls... but survives. However, it landed on the charger, so the flat pin is now bent at a 45 degree angle from what it should be. Some finicking around with it and I can get it to charge, verrrrrrry slowly, and only while the nook is powered off. Eats more that it charges when turned on.

Local B&N want $25 for a new power cord, Best Buy (where I got the CN) doesn't carry them.

Suggestions?

irid10t

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
As per the first link, I called B&N, spent 25 minutes talking to some tech support guy (here in the US at least by his accent) and a new replacement cable is on the way to me free of charge.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
So m yCN (running CM7 happily) is charging, and the baby grabs the cord. Not quick enough on my end, Nook falls... but survives. However, it landed on the charger, so the flat pin is now bent at a 45 degree angle from what it should be. Some finicking around with it and I can get it to charge, verrrrrrry slowly, and only while the nook is powered off. Eats more that it charges when turned on.

Local B&N want $25 for a new power cord, Best Buy (where I got the CN) doesn't carry them.

Suggestions?

$25 is for the charger and cable. The cable is only $14.95.......

BARNES & NOBLE | NOOK Color / NOOK Tablet Charging Cable in Asphalt by Barnes & Noble

irid10t

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
You can order it, or have the store order it and pick it up another day.

Or I can call and get a broken non-standard part replaced free under warranty. They didn't ask what OS I was running, they wanted the serial but w/ no power to the device I had no way of booting it to get the serial... told 'em I'd be happy to call back and let them know after they sent me a new power cable to power it with. Should be here tomorrow or Tues at the latest.

mvpilot172

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Don't tell them you have anything but stock software or it voids your warranty. Also, your serial number is on the inside of the micro SD card "flap", no need to power it up. They should have told you that, the women I talked to was very helpful and I got a new cord mailed out quickly.

KahneFan

Jul 17, 2011
www.ezthemer.com
If you have almost any newer cell phone with a micro USB cord, it should work as well. I have about 4 micro USB's placed around the house which I can use on my phone, my wife's phone and my NC.

Pretty cool to get a free one though!

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
If you have almost any newer cell phone with a micro USB cord, it should work as well. I have about 4 micro USB's placed around the house which I can use on my phone, my wife's phone and my NC.

Pretty cool to get a free one though!

Nope, they don't support the voltage the Nook needs to charge.

---------------------------------
Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

darkmatter

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've found that while I can charge with other cables, they just don't seem to do as well. It seems the nook charger is a deeper plug than most cables you can find.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I use mine all the time to charge my Nook. I don't even know where my Nook charger is.

Perhaps I should rephrase my post to: it will take much longer to charge and will barley charge at all if you are trying to charge through your PC/Laptop.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

gpflepsen

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I think the charging amps (thus rate) is more a function of the transformer than the cable, unless the cable is using more pins to enable a high current charge.

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the charging amps (thus rate) is more a function of the transformer than the cable, unless the cable is using more pins to enable a high current charge.

You need to do some more research. The B&N cable/charger system uses a 2 step/depth pin configuration.. meaning more pins to charge....

ltfrazer

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
My cable broke and I called 1800- BarnesandNoble asked for Nook Color support, told them my charger cable broke, they didn't ask why but did ask my name and address to send me out a new one free. It arrived within a week. I understand from other forums this is a known problem and B&N has been shipping out new charger cables just for asking.

CLSmith

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm running CM7 off SD card n when i'm using this OS, I can charge with any mirco charger. When I'm in the stock OS, my NC will only charge with the org. USB micro cable. I also have to use this cable when I plug the NC into my PC, it doesn't recognize generic USB cables.