What's the best card for CM7

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I originally posted this as a reply to an old thread but it didn't get any responses so I'm creating a new thread. Hoping to get a response today because one of the cards I'm looking at is on a deal-of-the-day type of thing.

What does everyone recommend for SD size, speed and brand if I'm planning on running CM7 from the card (not rooting the NC).

I used to have a 4gb (I think) class 4 SD back when I did the honeycomb boot. It didn't work all that well and even though I kept finding that card floating around the house for about a year now - just recently (now that I want it again) it has disappeared. So Now I need to buy a new one for CM7.

What is the minimum speed? And is there a maximum speed (meaning cards that are say class 10 seem to fail)?
What is a minimum or maximum size (does the NC recognize 32gb cards)?
Lastly, is there a preferred brand? I remember seeing at one point a post somewhere where somebody recommended only SanDisk, but I can't remember why.

There is a 32gb SanDisk Class 4 for $30 on newegg
There is also a 16gb Patriot Class 10 on sale for $18.00 (daily deal)
and best of both looks to be a 32gb PNY Class 10 for $39.00

I'm leaning towards the 16gb class 10 for performance and the price - but at the same time, I don't want to future limit myself by not getting a 32gb.

Lastly, I don't want to spend TOO much because this is actually my wife's nook that I will only get to use when she isn't using it. And because eventually, I will be getting a full tablet for myself (haven't found the right one yet). But that is also one of the reasons I might want a 32gb so I can just format it and utilize it for my full tablet once I pull that trigger.

Thoughts?

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
I know I've seen it a lot in passing, but when searching I couldn't really find anything for some reason. is there any reason NOT to go for a class 6 or 10?

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
oh, and can the NC handle 32GB? again, this would just be so that I can reuse it later for another tablet once I get one. Obviously I could use the 16gb, but 32 would be better.

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
ok, well I ended up going with a 16gb (I'm a little impatient - sorry) Sandisk Class 4 from Amazon for just under $7 (about $12 after shipping). If it works well, maybe I will just buy myself a NC rather than some other tablet. who knows. Anyway, can't wait to try it!

DaddyW123

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
So the thing works great! Flash video on the web was a bit choppy, but Netflix streamed very well. All in all, so glad I did this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech