[ROM+Kernel] MiRaGe-CM7.2-KANG

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have been building/compiling my Nook Color's ROM from the CM repo. Besides the geek satisfaction, I build for removing some extras and customize for performance. This thread is for sharing what I build for myself with the community. Here is MiRaGe.

Please thank/donate to CM project, especially the lead Nook Color developers, dalingrin, fattire, and keyodi.

Changelog:
CyanogenMod 7 changes are here.
My changes on the nook kernel are here.

Update 07/30/2012:
- Reverted the KSM support in the kernel and dalvik-vm

Update 07/27/2012:
- Modify Running ProcessView as ics in Settings
- Fixing a crash when doing lock profiling in dalvik vm
- Basic KSM Support in dalvik vm. This is complementary to the KSM feature added into the kernel build.
- Customizable kill app via back key timeout.
- updated the kernel
-- added KSM support. See this post for a patch that will initiate the KSM service.
-- removed several debug configs

Update 07/12/2012:
- New build, synced with CM
- ICS menu icons
- default to hardware EGL libraries of SGX530 instead of using generic android EGL libraries (thanks to leolawliet)
- new kernel with the following changes
-- use optimized strnlen, strncpy, and crc32 functions in ARM (thanks to faux123)
-- disable several DEBUG settings in kernel config

Update 07/05/2012:
- ICS icons for settings.apk and power widget
- new kernel with the following changes
-- BFS 4.04 scheduler added to kernel
-- updates to ashmem, lowmemorykiller, and interactive governor
-- updates to rcutiny and core scheduler components

Update 06/23/2012:
- New 06232012 build, synced with CM

Update 06/08/2012:
- Backported many bug/security fixes from 2.6.32.59 kernel for block layer, file system, networking, bluetooth, ARM architecture, and sound. See my github link above for details.

Update 05/27/2012:
- Backported the staging android drivers from kernel 2.6.38.8
- added a fix for uptime overflow in the kernel after a recent report
- added a modified Cyanbread_light theme to replace the orange highlights with cyan/blue that matches with the recent Google Play apps. The source code of Cyanbread_light is here.

Update 05/18/2012:
- Integrated the 05112012 build of encore kernel and included Dalingrin's flicker fix by default since many users downloaded it. All of the kernel downloads below include the fix.
- Replaced the bluetooth icon on statusbar with a new one
- Tagged CM7.2 RC2

Update 05/11/2012:
- The final build of the newly updated kernel is ready with a long list of changes (see the link above). You can download from the link below. The kernel is compiled with gcc-4.6 for better performance.
- There is an important bug fix for busybox in the CM repo. You can patch your ROM with this file in the recovery.

Update 05/09/2012:
- Synced with CM
- Updated the kernel source with B&N 1.4.2 update which brought updated touch screen and accelerometer drivers
- Added Simple I/O scheduler as default and removed BFQ scheduler in the kernel.
- Synced the binary/proprietary blobs in CM repo with B&N 1.4.2 update.
- Removed the 16-bit framebuffer support since 32-bit performance is very good
- Reverted the 68kHz pixel clock to default 48kHz. There is an optional kernel in the download section with Dalingrin's flicker fix included.
- Reverted edge responsiveness workaround since it was not effective and causing more insensitivity at the touchscreen corners
- Reduced the ROM size by ~5MB

Update 05/05/2012:
- Synced with CM
- Replaced the lock screen clock font with the ICS clock font.

Update 04/16/2012:
- Synced with CM
- integrated the OOM optimizations, see this post for details
- removed the V6 Supercharger recommendation

Update 04/07/2012:
- Synced with CM
- transparent notification background

Update 03/30/2012:
- Updated Cyanoboot with 03/28/2012. Thanks to tonsofquestions and fattire
- Synced with CM

Update 03/23/2012:
- Added Cyanoboot (thanks to fattire)
- Synced with CM

Update 03/04/2012:
- CM 7.2 RC0 -> RC1
- Synced with CM

Update 03/01/2012:
- Synced with CM

Update 02/25/2012:
- Synced with CM
- Replaced the soft button, battery, WiFi, smiley icons with ICS style icons in GB color.
- Tested the ICS kernel with CM7.2. There were many problems. See this post for details.

Update 02/17/2012:
- Synced with CM

Update 02/10/2012:
- Synced with CM

Update 02/01/2012:
- Synced with CM to include the FC fix with rotation. No Statusbar FC on boot anymore. I had tested this fix earlier and it was not preventing the statusbar FC. Now works, I missed something apparently.
- Built an optional ROM with the full language set. If you don't need any other language than English(US) and Spanish, smaller ROM is recommended.

Update 01/26/2012:
- Synced with CM to include the rotation animation fix. Thanks to kalltkaffe for this brilliant fix.
- Please upgrade to this build if you are on 01232012 build. No other rotation fix is necessary. We are using unchanged CM7 kernel again without the backported CM9 rotation fix.
- For the ones who want to go back to an earlier build, I had given the links to 01132012 build in this post.

Update 01/23/2012:
- Synced with CM

Update 01/13/2012:
- Synced with CM

Update 01/10/2012:
- Synced with CM

Update 12/12/2011:
- Synced with CM
- Switched to modular kernel (see the previous update below), includes the SOD patch, and compiled with linaro 4.5-2011-10 toolchain.

Update 12/05/2011:
- Based on Dalingrin's encore kernel, built a modular kernel by configuring the uncommonly used features (they are still available) as kernel modules. There seems to be about 20% increase in the free RAM (available to the apps and cache) after first boot on my nook. If you want to try, here is the link. See this post for more details

Update 12/01/2011:
- Synced with CM

Update 11/28/2011:
- Synced with CM
- Dalingrin's kernel with SOD patch included in the build with recompiled kernels using linaro 4.5-2011.10 toolchain since the feedback was positive. The optional files are still downloadable for the ones who want to use them with other builds.
- Updated Superuser.apk to 3.0.7. Market was constantly showing this update.

Update 11/24/2011:
- Included dalingrin's SOD fix in the kernel build.

Update 11/20/2011:
- CM sync
- Added a flashable zip with Dalingrin's Encore kernel recompiled with Linaro 4.5-2011.10 toolchain.

Update 11/18/2011:
- Synced with CM
- Reverted my signal icon fix to include Dalingrin's commit.
- Added back CMStats

Update 11/16/2011:
Well, everyone is talking about ICS code release but there is another news that CM switched to 7.2.0-RC0 recently which came with a large number changes. I will not go through all those but you can check them here. I have also updated Roboto font with the improved version in the Android 4.0.1 source release.

Update 11/13/2011:
- Synced with CM
- Resolved persistent signal bar problem in the status bar. The source of the problem is this commit, removed the commit before compiling the code.
- Updated Superuser.apk and su binary
- Removed extra themes,
- Removed CMwallpaper,
- Removed large ring tones,
- Removed and decompiled CMUpdateNotify
- Removed development app,
- Removed all languages except English(US) and Spanish
- Removed ROM Manager, latest version is available in the Market.
- Replaced the system font with the Roboto font from ICS
- The optional status bar transparency theme as a flashable zip, please see the screenshot to decide if you want it.

Downloads:
- ROM with only English(US) and Spanish languages - 07302012 build: MD5sum: 0b40470e6a0e7bc1436355e810dce3d9
- International ROM with full language set - 07302012 build: MD5sum: 7a4ced2ecaf87527437ae145b156e0dd
The following kernel packages are not required with the latest builds. The modular kernel is included by default since 12/12/2011.
- The flashable zip of the latest MiRaGe kernel can ben downloaded at my Github repo.

Installation:
- Just follow the official CM7.1 installation via recovery guide (stable or nightly). The removed components will be retained on your NC from the previous ROM if you do not uninstall those (Titanium recommended) or do a clean wipe.
- If you don't need a clean wipe, i.e. current ROM is CM7.1, instead of step 5 in the guide, do wipe dalvik-cache only.
- If you do a clean wipe, you will need to flash gapps again. You can find it here.

Recommendations:
1) Regarding the status/notification bar force close issues, I recommend unchecking the "disable full screen" option in the Tablet Tweaks to avoid the status bar crashes. This also improves the app behavior especially movies and games that need full screen. To bring the soft buttons back in the full screen mode, I recommend Button Savior (available in the Market). If you had tried this app before, Button Savior developer greatly improved the app lately. When I enable autohide feature in Button Savior, it does not occupy any space on the screen. I just use the short swipe option at the right edge of the screen and bring the soft buttons when needed. Since I keep the soft buttons on the status bar, Button Savior is only used when an app goes to full screen mode. You can even remove the soft buttons from the status bar completely if you prefer an uncluttered status bar.
2) If WiFi is not starting automatically on reboot, please see the fix in this post.

Screenshots:
Using ADW Launcher EX with ICS Launcher icons by kovdev. The clock widget is Sense Analog Clock.
screenshotencore.png

Disclaimer: I don't accept any responsibility for any kind of damage or loss. If you are going to report problems, please make sure that there are no mods or themes applied to the system. Also, SD installations are not supported since many problems are related to the performance of particular SD card. Only EMMC installation is recommended and supported. Before reporting any problem please try reflashing after a clean wipe.

Last edited:

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
MiRaGe 06232012

I have uploaded the 06232012 build of MiRaGe after syncing with the latest changes in CM repo. Please check the OP for the download links, changes, and also the credits. Enjoy!

Reactions: tube517

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
MiRaGe 07052012

I have uploaded the 07052012 build of MiRaGe. Please see the OP for the changes, download links, and credits. Enjoy!

Reactions: tube517

teckels

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Woops sorry for the oversight. I grabbed that, are yours icons oversized? I like that about MUIU on the tablet but seem normal sized like on my phone on my nook with this theme. Loving your rom, 0 compaints!

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Woops sorry for the oversight. I grabbed that, are yours icons oversized? I like that about MUIU on the tablet but seem normal sized like on my phone on my nook with this theme. Loving your rom, 0 compaints!

ADW EX has the option to use HDPI app icons. HDPI icons are bigger and look much better on the NC screen.

Reactions: teckels

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
MiRaGe 07122012

I have uploaded a new MiRaGe build. Please see the OP for changes, download links, and the credits. Enjoy!

Reactions: rat_t

rat_t

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello mrg666 (or anyone that would like to help),

I'm interested in getting a Nook Color (Instead of the Nook Tablet) because I like how MiRaGe works on my VM760. I have a question regarding the instructions of how this ROM should be installed. They link to Barnes & Noble Nook Color: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki and it says in there that "This does not work with Software version 1.3.0. " If I get a brand new Nook, shouldn't be there chances that I'd get a recent version, maybe that incompatible version? any comments about this? should [GUIDE] Install CM7 or CM9 + Recovery to EMMC - ALL NOOK COLORS! (Updated:6/29/12) - xda-developers be used instead? or I'm misreading something there?

Thank you in advance

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site

I'm interested in getting a Nook Color (Instead of the Nook Tablet) because I like how MiRaGe works on my VM760. I have a question regarding the instructions of how this ROM should be installed. They link to Barnes & Noble Nook Color: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki and it says in there that "This does not work with Software version 1.3.0. " If I get a brand new Nook, shouldn't be there chances that I'd get a recent version, maybe that incompatible version? any comments about this? should [GUIDE] Install CM7 or CM9 + Recovery to EMMC - ALL NOOK COLORS! (Updated:6/29/12) - xda-developers be used instead? or I'm misreading something there?

Thank you in advance

If I remember correctly, I had used the guide at CM Wiki with 1.3 NC firmware. But, sure, you can use the guide at XDA, it is more recent.

M8R-3t0f541

May 7, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=1955748

Just to add my experience, it seems that after a reboot I need to re-enable this setting (although it is enabled in the settings)
Not a problem with this ROM, it's a generic problem.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

M8R-3t0f541

May 7, 2012
Visit site

Thank you in advance

You get the same OS release, and it's adviced to boot it and register it with B&N before you make changes. My suggestion is to upgrade the OS first to avoid frustration.

Sent from my NookColor using Android Central Forums

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
MiRaGe 07272012

I have uploaded the 07272012 build of MiRaGe. You can find the download links, changes, and credits in the OP. The changes in CM were cherry picked from Gerrit code review, i.e. they are not in the CM repo yet. The back button timeout seems to have no effect on the statusbar soft button but it works on my phone and ButtonSavior app. I will look into the soft button issue.

Enjoy!

Reactions: tossici

mrg666

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I have reverted the KSM changes in the kernel and dalvik-vm since it needs more work before being added again. The build is updated as 07302012 build and available in the OP.