1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    RockSolid GingerSense

Thumbs up *Resolved*Installing .APKs*Resolved*

Hello all from AC & the NC subforums!
    Got a couple of .APKs I want to install to my Nook Color but can't seem to do so. Every time I use my file manager, browse to them, & launch it says "Install Bloacked - Installation of download apls is not supported."
    I can't find the "Allow Unknown Apps" to be installed like on my Hero. I've tried using both the file managers from EStrongs Inc & Adao Team. Went ahead & grabbed a terminal emulator as well but still get "permission denied." I'm sure there is a terminal command for it using ADB but I'd need a little help setting up the Nook Color with ADB on my PC if anyone has gotten it working.

Or I'm thinking I need to add one/all of these apps to SuperUser some how. Or else give myself superuser permission to installs the .APK

Thank you all for any assistance rendered!
    Last edited by red.drako; 01-09-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    HTC Hero - Sprint | ClockworkMod | RockSolid GingerSense, Android 2.3
    Nook Color CyanogenMod 7.0.2, Android 2.3

Fear denies Faith
    Samsung BlackJack II>HTC Touch Pro>HTC Hero
    Nook Color

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    RockSolid GingerSense

Thanks for the reply DoirdXcon.
    I have come to an impass however. I cannot find the USB driver for the Nook Color. When I connected the Nook Color for the first time my pC just recognized it as a storage device. I've done some searching to see if I could find another way to sideload an app - which I assume would require the Nook Color USB drive to work with ADB.
    When I run the AC SWM it tells me no device is found & doesn't pull my serial number. Obviously this is because my Nook Color isn't recognized properly as an Android device.

Have you or anyone else had success in finding the Nook Color USB driver?

Fear denies Faith
    Nook Color

ROM
    Fresh LTE 5.0

get your usb driver here
    Thanked by:

Also, you can install RootManager, and drop your APKs into /system/app on the device. You'll need RM to allow you to change the permissions of that folder, but once in there, you can click to insta..
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts

The option to enable non-market installs is in Nook Color Tools.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G with Tapatalk
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Once you get ADB to recognize, everything's golden. You can even use the Sideload Wonder Machine.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    RockSolid GingerSense

Well thank you everyone for replying! And to have the Phil Nickinson too!
    I have not met with success I'm afraid. I've got USB debugging on, turned off all storage (Computer>Eject on the SD card & internal memory), & installed the USB driver - this gets SWM to execute then to say it has completed whatever APK I'm attempting but it still isn't pulling a S/N. Therefore I cannot get SWM to complete. Neither the Gingerbread Keyboard nor YouTube APKs are working (these are the only two I'm interested in having presently).

Fear denies Faith
    Nook Color

Quote Originally Posted by red.drako View Post
    Neither the Gingerbread Keyboard nor YouTube APKs are working (these are the only two I'm interested in having presently).
    That's odd. Both are on mine after the autonooter. I don't even have the sdk downloaded, let alone installed. Gingerbread keyboard is activated through nook color tools. I'm actually using it right now. YouTube has stopped wworking a couple times but thanks to advice given to me in the "first impressions" thread (thanks AintSkerd) I was able go get it to work without needing anything but a wifi connection and a microSD card.

In the market download astro file manager. In astro go to the menu>app manager. Check the box next to the YouTube app hen tap backup at the top of the screen. After backing it up, uninstall the app (nook color tools or astro will work) then use astro app manager to reinstall from the SD card.

I realize you probably don't need such a detailed description, but I needed it the first time and someone else may find it easier if its all in one place.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Give this a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by red.drako View Post
    Well thank you everyone for replying! And to have the Phil Nickinson too!
    I have not met with success I'm afraid. I've got USB debugging on, turned off all storage (Computer>Eject on the SD card & internal memory), & installed the USB driver - this gets SWM to execute then to say it has completed whatever APK I'm attempting but it still isn't pulling a S/N. Therefore I cannot get SWM to complete. Neither the Gingerbread Keyboard nor YouTube APKs are working (these are the only two I'm interested in having presently).
    And you've tried what kd0axs said "The option to enable non-market installs is in Nook Color Tools."
    After that you should be able to put apk's on your sd card and install them through Astro. As for Youtube, I had a problem with it closing on me every time I tried to run it. I used Titanium backup and cleared all data for youtube. Then I launched youtube and it worked great. Just going into manage apps and clearing data wont do the same.

I found the easy way to install programs on my nook and my EVO try mobisynapse. all you need to do is double click the .apk on your computer and it installs.

Quote Originally Posted by lopezpm View Post
    And you've tried what kd0axs said "The option to enable non-market installs is in Nook Color Tools."
    After that you should be able to put apk's on your sd card and install them through Astro. As for Youtube, I had a problem with it closing on me every time I tried to run it. I used Titanium backup and cleared all data for youtube. Then I launched youtube and it worked great. Just going into manage apps and clearing data wont do the same.
    Quoting this because it's 100% the way to do it.

If it's already checked, uncheck and recheck it, then reboot. You should be able to install APKs from your memory card.
    Thanked by 4:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

ROM
    RockSolid GingerSense

Yes non-market is on & i tried it with astro as well.
    Phil, when I fet home I'll try that link.

Fear denies Faith
    Nook Color
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

ROM
    RockSolid GingerSense

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Give this a shot?
    Thanks Phil for the advice. I'm stuck here on the nookDevs wiki -
    11. Go to your device manager (Should be in system somewhere), Click "Other devices" and you should see "ADB Device"
    My device manager shows "B&N Ebook Disk USB Device"; there is no "Other devices" option. Screen capture below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails *Resolved*Installing .APKs*Resolved*-adb-help.jpg  
    Last edited by red.drako; 01-05-2011 at 10:35 AM.

Fear denies Faith
    Nook Color

Default Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Kazy View Post
    Quoting this because it's 100% the way to do it.

If it's already checked, uncheck and recheck it, then reboot. You should be able to install APKs from your memory card.
    Thanks dude. I was having the same problem. I unchecked that box and rechecked it. Then rebooted and it works now. I never would have known to do that. You are awesome.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

ROM
    RockSolid GingerSense

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Rules View Post
    Thanks dude. I was having the same problem. I unchecked that box and rechecked it. Then rebooted and it works now. I never would have known to do that. You are awesome.
    I've tried this already & it didn't work. Tried again just for giggles & it did! I was expecting the GBKB.apk to be like that on my Hero, but it looks like it really is the default NC keyboard after all... my bad.
    Anyway, glad to have YouTube back though! Thanks again everyone.

Fear denies Faith
    Nook Color

Thumbs up

Hi... 1st post, 1st eBook reader, 1st android device, 1st rooting of device... lots of firsts.

Anyway, I've been lurking a few days and decided to live up to my desire to tinker the the hardware and my Nook Nooted. I tried various means of setting up the ADB_USB thing and failed miserably in getting my Win7 PC to acknowledge the darn Nook as an Android device.

Rather than give up, I perused the parts bin, slapped together an OLD Athlon/Palomino-powered WinXP machine and re-ADB_USB-thinged my old PC, downloaded .Net 4 and installed the Sideload Wonder Machine... I followed directions as previously described earlier in this thread, then checked the Nook to no avail.

Then I rebooted, and now I find the .APKs. At this point, I'm still on the low end of the learning curve, but I'm hoping to eventually contribute, not just consume.

Thank you all for contributing great information for a hardcore hardware geek with only plebian software skills.

Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

I was having this issue also... the advice of checking the box then rechecking it worked for me too, thanks guys!

I've been unable to get ADB over USB working reliably (when Android's booted; it seems to have been OK when I've been in CWR.) This is in Win7, in WinXP and in Ubuntu. The fix suggested in the USB t/s wiki for Ubuntu worked out for me once, when I most needed it

Since then, though, I've found it best - if Android's booting - to be sure I have a terminal emulator on the device, and to enable ADB over the network.

On the Nook:

setprop service.adb.tcp.port 5555
    stop adbd
    start adbd
    netstat

on your windows, mac, or linux box, connect to the ipv4 address
    listed as a routable local address -- the 127 address and the 0.0.0.0
    family are the wrong ones.

adb connect 192.168.x.y
    connected to 192.168.x.y:5555

then

adb shell
    #

you have root

you no longer need to issue shell commands by peering and praying

you probably want to do a

mount -o remount rw /system

around now so you can install packages.

I find that no matter what the setting is set to on the nook,
    I'm getting crying about not installing downloads on some packages.

And this was the only way I was able to do what I needed to in order to get the Graffiti keyboard installed.

I may well need to re-image and re-root the nook. I bricked it for a couple of days and once I was able to get it to run, it was late and I was in a hurry, so I did the upgrade fast and with whatever versions of the various tools happened to be most quickly available. From what I've seen, though, ADB connections via USB are presenting headaches to many folks.