Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

thanks, just grabbed it.

I put the APK on my SD card but I cannot get it to install. Using App Installer.

found another thread with a link to download the hq youtube:
    Download: YouTube HQ App from EVO 4G - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

I downloaded the Astro File manager to my rooted NC. It doesn't show up on my extras list of apps but it does indicate it is installed when I go to the market. Where do I find it. TIA

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jedipunk View Post
    I put the APK on my SD card but I cannot get it to install. Using App Installer.
    EDIT: nvm, i tried a different youtube.apk file and everything is working now.

so i tried to backup the original youtube file and then uninstalled it. i tried to install the youtubeHD file from SD as well and it says it installs, but force closes every single time.

so i get rid of the HD version and when i go to put the original version back the backup isn't there. dammit!

so, i still have the HD version file, but installing from the SD with app installer doesn't seem to work. i want to try installing via adb, but for some reason i can get my computer to recognize the NC as "adb composite interface" anymore. i've been trying for over an hour.

any help in getting youtube back on the NC? i don't care which version either.

That's because you don't "install" it.

From the XDA Developers thread:

rather than installing this one, rename it youtube.apk (which I already did for you) and copy it into system/app (w/permissions matching the other apk's in that folder)
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

I did that also myself and still cant get it to install. I deleted the original Youtube.apk that was in the system/app folder by mistake from the beginning. I downloaded this apk with the Nook and also downloaded it on the PC, put it on an SD card and tried to put it in that folder and install it. I till cant get it to work.

I got it working using the link provided. Thanks to everyone in this thread. Now when my kids discover youtube works again on the Nook I will loose it to them. Lol
    Enjoy every day.

I finally got it working. I could not uninstall cause it was listed nowhere to uninstall so I just ignored and ADBed in and pushed the file.

Then I had to wipe the cache and it works. Now, I wish I didn't have to clear the cache every time I start it fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrigno View Post
    I downloaded this apk with the Nook and also downloaded it on the PC, put it on an SD card and tried to put it in that folder and install it. I till cant get it to work.
    You "tried" to put it in the system/app folder? Were you successful?

"and install it." Again, you don't install it. You just put it in the system/app folder and set the permissions to the same as other .apk file in that folder.

What app are you using to move the file? You have to use something that has root access in order to change the permissions. I use Root Explorer.

The attached screen shots are using Root Explorer. They're also from my Droid phone but the Nook looks/works the same.

Once you have the youtube.apk in system/apps folder, click on the gray Mount button. Once clicked it will say Mount R/O like it does in the screen shot. Then press and hold on youtube.apk, select Permissions, then set them to match the attached screen shot and hit OK.

You'll probably have to reboot before youtube will work, but you should be good to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reinstall Youtube-snap20110301_163510.jpg   Reinstall Youtube-snap20110301_163531.jpg  
    Thanked by:

I should also mention I finally got it "installed."

I never did get the uninstall to work, but I adb-ed in (wireless) and just pushed the apk to the system app folder and reset permission to 644 and it worked. I did have to use titanium to wipe the cache.

.......... I could not uninstall cause it was listed nowhere to uninstall..........
    You can uninstall under Menu, Setting, Development, IIRC. (Don't have the Nook in front of me.)

You can using Astro too. Menu, Tools, Application Manager.

It would fail. But like I said, I finally ignored all the failed uninstalls and the apps that wouldn't list it and just adbed in and pushed it the apk to the nook.

Quote Originally Posted by tvking63 View Post

"and install it." Again, you don't install it. You just put it in the system/app folder and set the permissions to the same as other .apk file in that folder.

What app are you using to move the file? You have to use something that has root access in order to change the permissions. I use Root Explorer.

The attached screen shots are using Root Explorer. They're also from my Droid phone but the Nook looks/works the same.

Once you have the youtube.apk in system/apps folder, click on the gray Mount button. Once clicked it will say Mount R/O like it does in the screen shot. Then press and hold on youtube.apk, select Permissions, then set them to match the attached screen shot and hit OK.

You'll probably have to reboot before youtube will work, but you should be good to go.
    i did this and now youtube works perfectly on my root stock

Astro won't let me move the apk. Is there another free program that will allow me to get the apk to the system/apps directory and mount it?
    Thanked by:

ROM
    AOKP / Bugless Beast

Quote Originally Posted by tvking63 View Post

This post did it for me. Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by mrlingo View Post
    i did this and now youtube works perfectly on my root stock
    Quote Originally Posted by Defconrock View Post
    This post did it for me. Thanks dude.
    Good. Nice to get some feedback that my instructions are intelligible, and that it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapient View Post
    Astro won't let me move the apk. Is there another free program that will allow me to get the apk to the system/apps directory and mount it?
    I haven't used any of these but I saw these options over at XDA Developers.

super manager and android mate

EStrongs File Explorer

If anyone has success with Super Manager, Android Mate or EStrongs File Explorer, post up so we know there is a working free option to Root Explorer.

can anybody tell me what the version of you tube HQ is? i am running version 2.0.26.

Default Re: Reinstall Youtube

i also uninstalled youtube on my htc desire in an attempt to free up space. i thought it was just an update i was uninstalling but it seemed i uninstalled the entire youtube app. now, need to reinstall it. you posted to go to nookcolormods.com, but when i go to this website, i am taken to the forums.androidcenter.com site (this website) so i can't figure out where to download the new youtube version you were talking about. can you help me reinstall youtube? what do i do? thanks.

Do you realize you're posting a question about an HTC phone in a Nook Color Tablet forum?

If you had taken the time to read the thread you would have seen that the file is hosted here

And the instruction on what to do with it is posted here

But I have no idea if any of this will work for a HTC Desire.

Was searching on how to reinstall Youtube since I could not find it in the market via the smartphone or via Google Play.
    I just realised that I did not really uninstalled Youtube. It was only disabled.
    1. Settings
    2. Apps
    3. All applications
    4. Browse down to Youtube
    5. Enable

Youtube is back.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12