What's Missing?

jfultz14976

May 24, 2010
Visit site
I am considering getting a Nook Color, and rooting it to get an inexpensive Android Tablet.

I am wanting to know what it will be missing, I know it doesn't have the standard Android buttons (Menu, Back, and Search), Flash, or a camera.

What else is missing? I am planning on using my EVO to tether, when I'm not at home.

Also I read that the Nook Color is supposed to get a "Customized version for froyo" this year, I wonder what the odds of it including Flash are?

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Menu buttons are replaced with softkeys in the autonooter process. Based on reds from others I have removed softkeys and use button savior from the market. The only other thing missing that you didn't mention is gps functionality and bluetooth. A bluetooth radio is present and there is work progressing to get it to work.

michael.ahdett

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm an employee of barnes and noble, one of the nook salesmen here, and let me start by saying I am not speaking in an official capacity here (any statement made here does not reflect my employers).

Now that that's out of the way, let me say that as far as we have been told flash is coming with the froyo update. Also, to dispell a rumor I've seen recently, the market is going to be a nookcolor specific market, not the android market at large.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If you want more tablet-Froyo and less eReader-Froyo, you can actually load a custom Froyo ROM right now. Nookie Froyo boots off an SD card, so you don't even need to root to use it. I'm using it on a Class 6 SD and it's plenty fast (faster than the rooted version of the stock ROM).

We'll be posting something on it here pretty soon, but probably the most important tip I can give for this ROM is to turn the screen off/on once each time you boot (to avoid touchscreen lag).

Last edited:

jfultz14976

May 24, 2010
Visit site
This bad boy is sounding better and better!

I read elsewhere that rooting disables the in-store read for free, which I would probably never use but the wife would love that. I like the idea of the Nookie Froyo...no root necessary, pull the card and your back to stock.

Is the nook software accessible through Nookie Froyo, or would I have to pull the card and reboot?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
This bad boy is sounding better and better!

I read elsewhere that rooting disables the in-store read for free, which I would probably never use but the wife would love that. I like the idea of the Nookie Froyo...no root necessary, pull the card and your back to stock.

Is the nook software accessible through Nookie Froyo, or would I have to pull the card and reboot?

No, you have to pull the card and reboot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez