[How-to][NEW VERSION] Run Nookie Froyo off SD card

Pink Freud

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Well, you're able to get a working card. That's a start.

I'm not sure what you mean when you state that Win7 couldn't "see" your sdcard partition. In the sense that you couldn't write to it from Windows by, say, navigating to my computer and double-clicking on a folder called "sdcard"?

You might need to restore your card to being bootable, then resize the sdcard partition, then boot into it on your NC. Now use adb to sniff out the sdcard partition. Try something simple like "adb shell ls /sdcard" (I was able to use the ls command to see my sdcard from adb -- I can't recall if that was the exact syntax.)

I can't guess at your intentions, but if the thought was that you could write/read to /sdcard from Win7 as though it's another windows folder, that ain't happening. You need to push/pull files to that directory using the appropriate adb commands or something like Browsix/Dropbox. See here.

Oooh, sorry about that, then. I assumed that /sdcard was some sort of virtual sd card thing, that would show up as a drive letter in Windows Explorer like a normal sd card. Well, damn. Thanks.

You need to resize the sdcard partition with Easus

Damn again. I almost downloaded Easus instead of minitool, but I saw that minitool had a bunch of Linux support stuff and remembered one of the forums saying that nookie uses Linux. Thanks also.

Edit: Worked! /sdcard working fine now with a 10GB partition! Thanks again, vor!

Last edited:

dkatz

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to give up. I was able to install Froyo on the SD card and it works fine on the NC. The problem is trying to install the Marketplace. I think I've tried everything from this thread, from the thread about Honeycomb, and from various other websites. I'm on a Mac, and where I'm stumped is getting the NC with the SD card to be recognized by my computer. When the unrooted NC is connected, it shows up as a drive in Finder. I've downloaded and installed platform-tools and tried the command: sudo sh -c ?mkdir -p ~/.android; echo 0?2080 > ~/.android/adb_usb.ini; adb kill-server; adb devices?. When that asked for a password and didn't work, I found a site that explained how to add the proper path to that command line. That eliminated the password requirement, but the NC with the SD still wasn't recognized by my Mac. I know I'm rambling, but does anyone have any ideas about what I may be doing wrong? I feel that if I can ever get the rooted NC to show up in Finder I can take the next step and load Marketplace, but I'm stumped at this point. Thanks!

rootkit123

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
...I've downloaded and installed platform-tools and tried the command: sudo sh -c ?mkdir -p ~/.android; echo 0?2080 > ~/.android/adb_usb.ini; adb kill-server; adb devices?. When that asked for a password and didn't work...
The password requirement is because you used sudo, right? Did you enter your password there? Maybe re-try that way of doing things (from Nookdevs) and use your machine password when prompted.

It's been a while since my UNIX days, so I may be off. Just thought it might be worth trying, as I recognize that command from doing the USB ADB dance using the Nookdevs instructions.

dkatz

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
The password requirement is because you used sudo, right? Did you enter your password there? Maybe re-try that way of doing things (from Nookdevs) and use your machine password when prompted.

It's been a while since my UNIX days, so I may be off. Just thought it might be worth trying, as I recognize that command from doing the USB ADB dance using the Nookdevs instructions.

I tried my machine password, but nothing happened. When I replaced some of the line after sudo to have the proper path, it no longer asked for a password, but still no connection.

Pink Freud

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, now I have a new problem. I used EaseUs to resize the /sdcard partition, and it worked fine and dandy at first, Android had it recognized, mounted, and everything. But now neither adb nor DroidExplorer will recognize my nook after the resizing of that partition. In fact, for awhile even the adb/nook drivers wouldn't load when I plugged the device in, but I eventually fixed that after re-burning the nookie image to the card again. I've re-burned it a half-dozen times now, and every time it works fine until I rezize the /sdcard partition, then it refuses to recognize the device.

For right now, I'm about to re-burn it once more, get all the google apps, vold, everything I need on it that has to be loaded externally, then resize the partition, so at least I'm not wasting the space on the card and can download data to it from wi-fi, or until I figure out how to fix it.

Edit: Now the damn thing wont show up for adb at all, no matter what I do. Christ.
Edit2: Never mind, for some insane reason the fifteenth time I used adb kill-server the device showed. Still don't know what the deal is with the /sdcard directory, though.
Edit 3: Ok, finally figured out I could get the /sdcard resize working right if I load vold before resizing.

Last edited:

rx515

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Having troubling waking my device up. Everything works fine until I let it go to sleep and then pressing the power button on Nook button does nothing. Have to hold down power and restart it. Anyone with similar problems?

rootkit123

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Having troubling waking my device up. Everything works fine until I let it go to sleep and then pressing the power button on Nook button does nothing. Have to hold down power and restart it. Anyone with similar problems?

Yeah, right now, I can't see any rhyme or reason to power button-induced behaviors, whether it's sleep or power down. Given my other problems (wifi), I just roll with it and make sure that my Settings are such that the Froyo side won't sleep on its own due to inactivity.

Reactions: rx515

dkatz

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
And it gets even more frustrating - I had previously posted to this and the Honeycomb thread that I successfully installed Froyo but was having no luck having my Mac recognize the NC with Froyo in order to install Marketplace. I got lots of helpful suggestions, but unfortunately nothing worked. So, I tried to start again - formatted the SD card, reloaded Froyo, and popped it into the NC. Now, all I keep getting is the word "android" with blinking cursor. I've reloaded, tried a different SD card, turned on, turned off, etc., but nothing has worked. Oh well - at least I don't have to worry about not being able to do the adb.

Last edited:

galenweaver

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
When trying to load the google apps I put in the following command line

adb push c:\tools\system system/

I get the following error

error: protocol fault (no status)

I have been getting this error a few times when trying the commands. If I leave the last "system/" off the second command line then I get a big list of infomation about how to use the adb

Am I supposed to get a bunch ot text after each command?

None of the google apps show up on the nook

and I have read through most of this post.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

dsriniva001

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
It took me longer to get the nook out of it's packaging than it did to root the thing! Thank you for the step by step instructions!

I wanted to get the Market and Google Apps. But have been running into issues with every option provided above.
When I type
"adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system",
I get a device not found. Resolved that by installing the Windows USB drivers.
Then when I type
"adb push [here, enter the path to your SDK tools folder]\system system/"
I, almost instantly, receive a long error string which says the youtube.apk file is a read only file.

I would greatly appreciate any tips on how I could get through this?

Thanks again for making it possible for me to get more out of my nook!

dsriniva001

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm right there with you!!!!

Same issue I am seeing. You can't leave the "System/" off. If I understand this correctly, the command pushes the various .apk files from the "system" folder on your computer to the "System" folder on the card. I was seeing the "protocol Fault" error. But then I used the steps in this thread.

Now I see a youtube.apk is a read-only file and when I reboot, no goodgle apps or market!

xdlll

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I burnt the image (0.6.7) on a Trancend Class6 4GB microSD with Win32DiskImager on a Win7 (64bit). When I inserted the SD into the Nook Color and powered on, initially I saw "Loading..." then "Androids" letters appeared on the bottom left corner, and then nothing happened. Reburnt the image but same thing. Any ideas?

galenweaver

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help guys. Not sure what the issue was since I tired it last night 10 times and could not get it to work. This morning I did what I think was the exact same thing and everything worked fine.

jrohrig

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I am having an issue burning the image to my sd card, if I use version r23 of windiskimager it says there is not enough space on my memory card, which is 4gb and blank, if i use the r15 version is says: An error occurred when attempting to write data from handle. Error 8:. Can someone help me out to what this might mean or how to go around it? Thanks!

phoebe.grace

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I have flashed my Nook with Honeycomb but can't get the usb drivers to install so can't use my computer to do anything to it. I had Froyo on it before and now can't do a factory reset either. I want to go back to Froyo because the market is not working, it does not see my sd card for ebooks and that is the reason I got it. Please help the nook noob.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Note:

adb push [here, enter the path to your SDK tools folder]\system system/

should be

adb push [here, enter the path to your SDK tools folder]\system /system/

only thing that worked for me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members