[GUIDE] How to Root Your Nook Color

Datalocknow

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I messed this up. I was about half way into my root and as I pulled away from my desk, my chair unplugged the usb cord. Now, when I boot up, I get a message saying "Your NOOK color encountered a problem that requires a system restart."

I can't get past this message. How should I proceed?

Datalocknow

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what I am doing wrong. I did a hard reset to get back to factory settings and 1.1. Uploaded image 0.6.7 through the win disk image program to the SD card. Everything goes fine, but now all I get on a reboot is memory card format required. The u-boot.bin file and the rest show up when I view them on my computer when hooked up to a USB cable. Any ideas?

vlozano06

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I didn't see this asked, but while you're rooting the NC, does it have to be connected to a computer? I see in the directions about the usb cable flashing and how that would be ok. But is it needed to be connected via usb?

*Edit* Nevermind, reread the instructions. my bad.

But when i plug the NC into the usb, it just turns on and starts normally. Had this same problem while trying to load cm7 as well.
can it be that my sd card isn't writing the image correctly?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

vlozano06

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
Found this on nookdevs website.

"Note: You should use a dedicated USB card reader or a SD card adapter. Devices with integrated card readers (cameras, smartphones, the Nook itself) will generally not work - they are unable to modify the partition table correctly, and the SD card will not boot. A very few devices will work for this, if yours did, count yourself lucky. Walmart sells USB sd readers for under $10"

So I guess this is my problem, I've been trying to use my epic4g as my card reader to burn the image.

I have an SD/microSD adapter but its read only. Does anyone know how to make it read/write?

Sorry for all the questions.

*EDIT 2* Finally fixed the adapter and got it running and very happy now! can't wait to play around with it.

Last edited:

scott257

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Question

I have everything I need to try and root my nook but I wanted to check something before I start. It appears as though there are multiple instructions available now on how to do this. I would like to know, what is the most currently recommended method. I have read through the instructions on this thread and see that the original instructions were posted in January. I just want to make sure I am using the most current method for doing this before I get started.

vlozano06

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site
I followed the instructions in the OP and got it up and running fine. After a few hiccups. But ultimately those instructions got me rooted.

Zhenya13

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Can't install non-market apps

Hi,
First off thank you for a great and easy to follow guide!

Got my NC yesterday and rooted it right away.
Here is my problem, I can't seemed to figure out how to install non-market apk

I know the second to last step tells you to check the box, and I did, but still no luck.
I get a message that I can't do that.

Primarily what I'm using this is for the Amazon appstore with their one free app a day.

Also, I'm a fan of the swift keyboard and use it on my HTC desires. (actually it was one of the Amazon's free apps) I can't install it and get to to work.
There is a choose keyboard button, but it does not show up there after I installed it.

Thanks in advance for helping out.

johall15

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Swiftkey

I had the same issue with getting swiftkey to work for rooted stock. I fixed it by using root explorer to copy the swiftkey .apk to the /system/app folder...Once I did that, I rebooted my nook and swiftkey showed up as an option when I opened Nook Tools and selected the keyboard button.

As a side note...Crossing my fingers for a quick update for rooted stock now that 1.2 is out! :D

T_om

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
New 1.2 Root Question

A complete newbie here but just wondering if the instructions on rooting a NC are still the same now that the major software update has been released.

I manually updated today but was waiting on someone much more knowledgeable than me to say "yeah, it works" or "wait until a new process is figured out".

Thanks for any light anyone may be able to shed.

Tom

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Since different means were required for rooting 1.0, 1.01 and 1.1 (all Eclair-based), it is safe to assume that rooting 1.2 (Froyo-based) will require a different method also.

Zhenya13

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue with getting swiftkey to work for rooted stock. I fixed it by using root explorer to copy the swiftkey .apk to the /system/app folder...Once I did that, I rebooted my nook and swiftkey showed up as an option when I opened Nook Tools and selected the keyboard button.

Yea, I did that and to no avail. What I noticed is that all the apps there have little [sys] symbol next to them and the swift.apk I copied there does not.

Can't figure it out.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yea, I did that and to no avail. What I noticed is that all the apps there have little [sys] symbol next to them and the swift.apk I copied there does not.

Can't figure it out.

Try putting into the /system/app folder.
Make sure you set the permissions to the same as the other files in that folder.
Reboot.
Set keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zhenya13