[HOW-TO] Overclock Nook to 1100MHz (stock + nookie)

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
The Nook's processor can be stably overclocked to 1.1GHz!!!

Credit to dalingrin, whose xda thread can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=925451

Here's how:

INSTALLATION ON STOCK (BARNES & NOBLE) ROM:

Download this file

Place it in the root directory of your SD Card (sdcard/).

Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (if you don't have this yet, get ROM Manager from the Market and choose Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option)

In Clockwork, choose Install Zip from SD Card

Choose the file

Reboot, and you can now use SetCPU to monitor and tweak the overclocking

INSTALLATION ON NOOKIE FROYO (RUNNING FROM SD CARD):

Download this file to a computer.

Connect your NC (booted into Nookie from SD card) to your computer

Select the option to mount Nook for USB storage

Open the drive for the Nook's SD card on your computer

Drag and drop the uImage file onto that drive (it will replace the old uImage, which it'd be wise to back up before doing)

Reboot your Nook and enjoy the Nookie overclock!

INSTALLATION ON NOOKIE FROYO (RUNNING FROM INTERNAL MEMORY):

Download this file to a computer.

Place it in your SDK tools directory on your computer (make sure it's called uImage)

Open a command prompt from that same directory, and enter the following:

adb shell

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

mkdir boottmp

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 boottmp

exit

adb pull boottmp/uImage uImagebak

adb push uImage boottmp/uImage

adb shell umount boottmp

adb reboot

If, after installing, you want to restore the stock kernel (on nookie in internal memory), enter the following from tools directory:

adb shell

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

mkdir boottmp

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 boottmp

exit

adb push uImagebak boottmp/uImage

adb shell umount boottmp

adb reboot

That should take you back to the stock kernel.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
What settings are you using with setcpu? Im seeing a lot of lag.

sent from my rooted NookColor

I'm not using the overclock kernel, but there are general recommended setcpu settings in the work-arounds for stock nook color ROM stickied thread. On the stock ROM, you'll probably want 600 min to avoid lag.

Froalskiner#WN

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
so by doing this overclock, you think it will have any heating issues? or cutting down on the life of the nook from running it so hard?

There is a little heating on the upper left side but it's not too bad. As with any overclocking there will be a degradation in lifespan but it could be that instead of lasting 8 years it only lasts 4. By then you'll want to pick up something new anyway. Use setcpu to adjust the max/min settings and you should be cool.

gregh

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
There is a little heating on the upper left side but it's not too bad. As with any overclocking there will be a degradation in lifespan but it could be that instead of lasting 8 years it only lasts 4. By then you'll want to pick up something new anyway. Use setcpu to adjust the max/min settings and you should be cool.

thx man, what settiing would be optimal? also, i am having trouble getting my pc to open it in USB mode. i am getting the circle of wait on the nook when i press turn on usb storage....

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
thx man, what settiing would be optimal? also, i am having trouble getting my pc to open it in USB mode. i am getting the circle of wait on the nook when i press turn on usb storage....

Maybe try a reboot? I had that happen once, seemed to be a fluke.

For Setcpu, I have min/max 300/1100, with a 300/600 screen off profile. All using ondemand governor. I haven't noticed any alarming heating going on.

Reactions: gregh

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
just did the overclock, same settings as yours, will. seems like I have to long-press to get anything to
register. tried rebooting. no change. any ideas?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
now that I've installed the overclock kernel, what will I need to do when an update is released?

Avoid the update, unless you want to lose all your post-rooting setup (possibly including the kernel -I'm not sure if it affects boot or not). See the thread on tips for disabling the OTA (hopefully).

sdown

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I've ran into a problem. I overclocked it, selected "clear cache & data" after selecting the file through ROM manager. I've lost everything. My screen is the initial screen when rooting NC and my screen doesn't recognize my touch. I need help. Can I get back to where I was?

Update: It's wiped everything clean...under Settings I'm not registered as the owner now.

After selecting " Install from SD Card" there are 2 options. backup or wipe clean (i think), which one is the correct one to select?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01