Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

Default [HOW-TO] Overclock Nook to 1100MHz (stock + nookie)

The Nook's processor can be stably overclocked to 1.1GHz!!!

Credit to dalingrin, whose xda thread can be found here:

Here's how:

INSTALLATION ON STOCK (BARNES & NOBLE) ROM:

Place it in the root directory of your SD Card (sdcard/).

Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery (if you don't have this yet, get ROM Manager from the Market and choose Flash ClockworkMod Recovery option)

In Clockwork, choose Install Zip from SD Card

Choose the file

Reboot, and you can now use SetCPU to monitor and tweak the overclocking

INSTALLATION ON NOOKIE FROYO (RUNNING FROM SD CARD):

Download to a computer.

Connect your NC (booted into Nookie from SD card) to your computer

Select the option to mount Nook for USB storage

Open the drive for the Nook's SD card on your computer

Drag and drop the uImage file onto that drive (it will replace the old uImage, which it'd be wise to back up before doing)

Reboot your Nook and enjoy the Nookie overclock!

INSTALLATION ON NOOKIE FROYO (RUNNING FROM INTERNAL MEMORY):

Download to a computer.

Place it in your SDK tools directory on your computer (make sure it's called uImage)

Open a command prompt from that same directory, and enter the following:

adb shell

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

mkdir boottmp

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 boottmp

exit

adb pull boottmp/uImage uImagebak

adb push uImage boottmp/uImage

adb shell umount boottmp

adb reboot

If, after installing, you want to restore the stock kernel (on nookie in internal memory), enter the following from tools directory:

adb shell

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1 /

mkdir boottmp

mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 boottmp

exit

adb push uImagebak boottmp/uImage

adb shell umount boottmp

adb reboot

That should take you back to the stock kernel.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Will Shanklin; 01-24-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Thanked by 4:

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What settings are you using with setcpu? Im seeing a lot of lag.

sent from my rooted NookColor
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
    What settings are you using with setcpu? Im seeing a lot of lag.

I'm not using the overclock kernel, but there are general recommended setcpu settings in the work-arounds for stock nook color ROM stickied thread. On the stock ROM, you'll probably want 600 min to avoid lag.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

Updated this post with new overclocking kernels. Very, very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Shanklin View Post
    Updated this post with new overclocking kernels. Very, very fast.
    so by doing this overclock, you think it will have any heating issues? or cutting down on the life of the nook from running it so hard?

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by gregh View Post
    so by doing this overclock, you think it will have any heating issues? or cutting down on the life of the nook from running it so hard?
    There is a little heating on the upper left side but it's not too bad. As with any overclocking there will be a degradation in lifespan but it could be that instead of lasting 8 years it only lasts 4. By then you'll want to pick up something new anyway. Use setcpu to adjust the max/min settings and you should be cool.

There is a little heating on the upper left side but it's not too bad. As with any overclocking there will be a degradation in lifespan but it could be that instead of lasting 8 years it only lasts 4. By then you'll want to pick up something new anyway. Use setcpu to adjust the max/min settings and you should be cool.
    thx man, what settiing would be optimal? also, i am having trouble getting my pc to open it in USB mode. i am getting the circle of wait on the nook when i press turn on usb storage....
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

Quote Originally Posted by gregh View Post
    thx man, what settiing would be optimal? also, i am having trouble getting my pc to open it in USB mode. i am getting the circle of wait on the nook when i press turn on usb storage....
    Maybe try a reboot? I had that happen once, seemed to be a fluke.

For Setcpu, I have min/max 300/1100, with a 300/600 screen off profile. All using ondemand governor. I haven't noticed any alarming heating going on.
    Thanked by:
    gregh 

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'll try updating my settings. I had 1100/600 and no screen off profile.

Its not hot just noticeably warmer.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

I'll try updating my settings. I had 1100/600 and no screen off profile.

Its not hot just noticeably warmer.

Forgot to mention I'm on nookie. 300 min when I was on stock (before overclocking kernels) was too slow for me.
    Thanked by:

just did the overclock, same settings as yours, will. seems like I have to long-press to get anything to
    register. tried rebooting. no change. any ideas?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

Quote Originally Posted by chaloney View Post
    just did the overclock, same settings as yours, will. seems like I have to long-press to get anything to
    register. tried rebooting. no change. any ideas?
    Did you do the screen off/on thing? Just put your device to sleep for a sec every time after you reboot.
    Thanked by:

thanks. that did it.

thx for the help!
    Last edited by gregh; 01-25-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: added

now that I've installed the overclock kernel, what will I need to do when an update is released?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

now that I've installed the overclock kernel, what will I need to do when an update is released?
    Avoid the update, unless you want to lose all your post-rooting setup (possibly including the kernel -I'm not sure if it affects boot or not). See the thread on tips for disabling the OTA (hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by Will Shanklin View Post
    Avoid the update, unless you want to lose all your post-rooting setup (possibly including the kernel -I'm not sure if it affects boot or not).
    that's what I figured. any guess on how long till its rooted?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

that's what I figured. any guess on how long till its rooted?
    They were pretty quick with the last update, but your guess is as good as mine.

Never mind, it once again worked right when i was giving up. Flashing this now!

I've ran into a problem. I overclocked it, selected "clear cache & data" after selecting the file through ROM manager. I've lost everything. My screen is the initial screen when rooting NC and my screen doesn't recognize my touch. I need help. Can I get back to where I was?

Update: It's wiped everything clean...under Settings I'm not registered as the owner now.

After selecting " Install from SD Card" there are 2 options. backup or wipe clean (i think), which one is the correct one to select?
    Last edited by sdown; 01-27-2011 at 02:37 PM.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

Quote Originally Posted by sdown View Post
    I've ran into a problem. I overclocked it, selected "clear cache & data" after selecting the file through ROM manager. I've lost everything. My screen is the initial screen when rooting NC and my screen doesn't recognize my touch. I need help. Can I get back to where I was?

Update: It's wiped everything clean...under Settings I'm not registered as the owner now.

After selecting " Install from SD Card" there are 2 options. backup or wipe clean (i think), which one is the correct one to select?
    Yeah, you wiped your data. I think you clicked on the wrong menu. Install from SD should only let you choose a zip - not wipe your data or backup.

If everything works fine, you may not need to restore to stock in order to continue re-downloading all your apps, but if you get any errors, that will be what to do (see stickied restore to stock thread).

At this point, the only way to get your data back (aside from manually re-installing everything you had) is if you backed up via Clockwork or something like Titanium Backup.

I can't even get to any applications...it's taking me first to the stock Nook Color screen>two options: Quickstart or Setup Wizard> setup wizard doesn't allow me to interact with the screen when pressing the android icon robot.

not sure how to solve this. I think I hadn't backed up my data with Titanium yet (lesson to all!) but at this point, how can I get back to normal to re-root?

UPDATE: I'm at the CLockworkMod Recovery system screen from booting it up. Gives options like-reboot system, factory reset, wipe cache partition, etc. suggestions on not losing it all from here?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

Quote Originally Posted by sdown View Post
    I can't even get to any applications...it's taking me first to the stock Nook Color screen>two options: Quickstart or Setup Wizard> setup wizard doesn't allow me to interact with the screen when pressing the android icon robot.

not sure how to solve this. I think I hadn't backed up my data with Titanium yet (lesson to all!) but at this point, how can I get back to normal to re-root?
    Check out the stickied restore to stock thread. That'll give you everything you need.

In response to your update, no, you've already lost it all because you wiped your data partition. But if you have clockwork going, you can have an easier process restoring to stock. Everything you need is in that thread.
    Thanked by:
    sdown 

I tried overclocking but everytime I can't charge my NC, so when I go back to the Stock Kernel it is able to Charge. Any suggestions
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

ROM
    Nookie Froyo/Honeycomb

Quote Originally Posted by edgariraheta View Post
    I tried overclocking but everytime I can't charge my NC, so when I go back to the Stock Kernel it is able to Charge. Any suggestions
    I've never heard of that. If you're sure you followed everything to a T, then maybe hold off on the kernel. Could be worth another try though, as that isn't usual.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast