Nook COLOR Reader app on phones (like the Droid X)?

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know how (if?) to put the Nook Color reader app on a phone like the Droid X?

I have a couple books that I can read on my Nook Color, but the market Nook app will not read AT ALL.

Any help would be appreciated!

Scott

Last edited:

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
did you copy the ebook filesfrom your nook to the phone? if so it is probably that they use different file formats the nook color uses epub. the b&n app on my blackberry uses pcb files. don't know about the droid nook app. if they were purchased from b&n you can log in to your account through your droid then download them otherwise search for a way to convert from one file type to the other. I hear a program called calibre is good and free, but I haven't used it.

AintSkerd

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
+1 for Calibre. Excellent application. Will convert PDF to epub. That alone is worth an install. If you own ANY ereader it is a must have.

crazace

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Also something to keep in mind is that some things like Maxim is a Nook Color exclusive. You cant view it on the Nook reader app. I dont know and dont think thats the deal with any actual book but maybe.

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
What are the books you can't open on the regular Nook android app? I know that the nook Kids books won't work yet. There was an updated Nook app released on I*pad, that reads the Nook Kids books. I expect this will be released shortly for Android ...

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I have yet to find even a sample of Murphy and Sapir's The Destroyer Series (Remo Williams) that I have been able to read through. Sometimes I can get it to open, but if I try to set a bookmark or close and reopen, the app will force close. Most of the time, the Nook app will not even open the book.

It seems like a relatively minor bug with that series because when I can actually get the app to open the book (1 time out of 10, usually after a restart of the phone and then only one time), it says I'm on "pg#/0". Because of this, I can understand why the app would FC (a rookie divide by zero error) and/or not save any reading progress.

Also, I am having trouble opening the sample of the book, "Key to Havoc" (Chromagic Series) by Piers Anthony.

Oh, in case it is not clear these are the same books/book samples download from BN through the respective app (Android and NC native reader). When I'm running Launcher Pro, I've tried downloading the Android Market Nook app and have the same problem, so it isn't a hardware issue (i.e. a problem with my Droid X).

Anyway, back to the question, does anyone know any way to get the reader app from the Nook Color installed onto a phone like the Droid X?

On a related note, does anyone know how to access the Nook Color reader app from an alternative home launcher like Launcher Pro? I currently use Home Switcher to switch between the NC launcher and Launcher Pro. The downside of using Launcher Pro is that I cannot figure out how to access the NC reader app directly from Launcher Pro.

Thanks for the suggestions and I hope someone has an answer for this one.

Scott

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm pretty sure if it had been done, we would have heard about it, but who knows? My guess is that we'll see the additional features implemented into the market nook app before we'll see the NC app ported to other devices.

pjjanak

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
To access the "reader" app, you just click on Library from the launcher, or you use the big arrow button on the status bar and click on Library. Then pick your book. Unfortunately, you can't put books and such on your homescreen like with the stock launcher, and unless the stock launcher is running, the "reading now" button (the open book on the status bar) doesn't do anything.

Peter

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I hadn't added the Library to LP's home screen. At least that takes care of the NC.

Now if I can just figure out how to add the NC reader app to my DX as B&N doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix the current iteration of the Nook Android app... :(

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol