1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    CleanROM

Default Potential NC buyer with a few questions

I've been wanting a tablet/slate device for a while now and the NC w/ Root is incredibly appealing at 250. I just have a few questions about it.

1. When you root via AutoNooter what is the main difference between it and NookieFroyo? I know one runs of SD but is there a big advantage to one over the other or is it nothing more than you get to keep the NC UI as a launcher?

2. How well are apps scaling on the larger screen?

3. After rooting will I get an option for auto-brightness? I noticed on a stock there is no auto-brightness which was disappointing?

4. Does the current OC kernel work for AutoNooter?

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by frankspin View Post
    I've been wanting a tablet/slate device for a while now and the NC w/ Root is incredibly appealing at 250. I just have a few questions about it.

1. When you root via AutoNooter what is the main difference between it and NookieFroyo? I know one runs of SD but is there a big advantage to one over the other or is it nothing more than you get to keep the NC UI as a launcher?

3. After rooting will I get an option for auto-brightness? I noticed on a stock there is no auto-brightness which was disappointing?

1. Depending on the speed of your SD card, will affect the performance of NookieFroyo. NookieFroyo doesn't affect the STOCK Nook OS, so that'd work.

2. Most of the times it seems to scale up just fine. THere's a few apps that have issues, but most seem to work.

3. Unfortunately no autobrightness that I know of.. but it could be that maybe the NC doesn't have a light sensor (not sure, haven't really looked it up).

4. I believe some have gotten it to work, I haven't tried, so couldn't give an honest answer. I believe it will work.

ROM
    AOKP

1. NookieFroyo is basically stock Android running on your Nook. You get none of the B&N stuff (so, no library, shop, etc.) but you get Froyo. The benefits of Froyo over Eclair have been listed everywhere, so no need to go into that. Basically, if you want a stock tablet experience, this would be for you. You can, of course, get the various eReader apps (including the Nook one) from the market, but they won't be the same experience as the stock framework included on the Nook.

Good news is, you can just take out your SD card and be back to stock (possibly rooted) Nook Color goodness.

4. Yes, the OC kernel works. Everyone who has tried it has been able to get the 900mHz kernel working. IT seems that that is as fast as the NC will go at this point.

Peter
    Last edited by pjjanak; 01-20-2011 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Added more NookieFroyo information
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    CleanROM

Thanks for the info. I didn't mind the stock Nook framework and as long as I can still access the market via AutoNooter Root that works. I'm looking to mainly use this as my reader for books & comics but the added benefit of not needing to rely on a laptop to do casual internet browsing/app usage.

Global Posts
    673 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/Jailbroken/Rooted

Thanks for the info. I didn't mind the stock Nook framework and as long as I can still access the market via AutoNooter Root that works. I'm looking to mainly use this as my reader for books & comics but the added benefit of not needing to rely on a laptop to do casual internet browsing/app usage.
    I use mine as an ereader primarily, and also for emails, so I don't have to always open the laptop (bigger screen than Evo helps as well for emails).
    It works great for what I'm doing.. I had thought about buying a full tablet at one point, but may not even now.. I use it more than I use the iPad.

1 - I prefer autonooter after trying both in their current incarnations. Autonooter is easily 'recovered' from, I had to reset my first to factory to do an exchange for a sound issue. I found Froyo to be a little too sluggish for me compared to autonooter. And getting google apps on there was a PITA, I had a hell of a time getting ADB to work and even then it hung on the SetupWizard.apk on me.

2 - Most do fine, I've only seen one, a game that didn't scale at all.

3 - i don't believe the nook has a light sensor so no.

4 - Yes, I was able to get both 900 and 950 to work without any issues although rolled back to 900 after just not seeing much improvement with 950. Quandrant scores were all over the board for between runs of the same core so I'm not sure it's a valid test. I had 900 speeds better than the 950's when run from the same state.
    Thanked by 4:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

ROM
    CleanROM

Thank you very much for the info Ultimoose!

Just an update, there's a new custom build of Froyo over on XDA that includes the google apps and dropbox preloaded so you don't have to deal with it. Putting it on a Class 10 SD card it was very useable. One thing I don't like is the USB mode only let's you see the boot partition and not the sdcard partition. While you could push files over with ADB or u/d via DropBox, there's just a lot to be said for simply plugging in a USB cable and drag and dropping.

But if you don't sideload much then it might be a very valid trial to see how Froyo works for you.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    CleanROM

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimoose View Post
    Just an update, there's a new custom build of Froyo over on XDA that includes the google apps and dropbox preloaded so you don't have to deal with it. Putting it on a Class 10 SD card it was very useable. One thing I don't like is the USB mode only let's you see the boot partition and not the sdcard partition. While you could push files over with ADB or u/d via DropBox, there's just a lot to be said for simply plugging in a USB cable and drag and dropping.

But if you don't sideload much then it might be a very valid trial to see how Froyo works for you.
    Honestly as long as I have access to the market via AutoNook I'll be more than ok.