Is 3G out of the question

xjcannonx

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
So I'll through it out there because I haven't heard much on it yet but looking through the FCC paperwork B&N filed they say that they disabled 3G. Does this mean that the chipset has 3G capability and it is just disabled? Can it be activated? Even if it can I guess you run into problems because there is no hardware for a sim card...Any thoughts?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
So I'll through it out there because I haven't heard much on it yet but looking through the FCC paperwork B&N filed they say that they disabled 3G. Does this mean that the chipset has 3G capability and it is just disabled? Can it be activated? Even if it can I guess you run into problems because there is no hardware for a sim card...Any thoughts?

No 3G until they release a 3G model.

Even if it were possible to activate it on this one, it would be highly illegal to jack 3G without a 3G plan (which it would be impossible to get on an unsupported device).

But we don't have to worry about that because my understanding is that activating 3G is impossible anyway.

xjcannonx

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that is what I figured, it is just interesting these days because all the chips coming out are integrated with so many things and just get de-activated by the manufacturer for 'product intention' reasons.

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
According to the teardown on the fixit site, it appears there is no 3G chip, so no, it'd be impossible... I did also recently read, that Barnes & Noble is discontinuing the 3G model of the Nook itself (once they sell the existing stock). I'm guessing they may not do a 3G version of the NC.. The article about the 3G nook being discontinued with a statement from a B&N rep stating that since the only time internet activity is needed is when you're downloading/shopping for a book.

Again, this is just what I've read, whether or not it's true.. who knows for sure...

bracus

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Doubt it'll ever happen. They just announced they are discontinuing Nooks with 3G. Basically cause nobody buys them. Is tethering not an option for you?

xjcannonx

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Yeah unfortunately I am on iOS4.2 I think and I heard that you can't do it with the newest version of the OS yet?? I'll keep an eye on that possibility though.