[TIPS] NEW - Pre-rooted 1.1.0 update/disable 1.1 auto update (and keep root)

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
UPDATE 01/28: There is now a pre-rooted version of the 1.1.0 update that is flashable via clockwork mod recovery. This should be a surefire method to avoid breaking root, and you'll also get the benefits of the new update (improved wifi, pinch to zoom in stock browser, etc.). This is only for rooted users who have not yet received the 1.1.0 update:

1. Download the pre-rooted 1.1.0 update onto the root of your sd card (sdcard/).

2. If you haven't already done so, flash clockwork mod recovery through ROM Manager app from the market. After flashing, choose the option to boot into CWR.

3. Once in clockwork, use the volume keys for up/down, "n" to select, and power/sleep to go back. Back doesn't always work.

(4.) No necessary, but recommended - choose backup and backup your current ROM to your sdcard.

5. Choose install zip from sdcard. Pick the file you downloaded.

6. Reboot, and you should be on rooted 1.1.0. If there are any problems, go back to step 3, only this time, choose wipe data/factory reset before installing the zip.

ORIGINAL POST:

If you saw our post about the Nook Color 1.1 update rolling out, you might have caught the last part that mentions that it "breaks root."

Say what???

First, if you're running Nookie Froyo internally or on an SD, that part will be completely unaffected by this. If you've been thinking about doing either of those, this might be a good time to give it a whirl.

If you're on the rooted stock ROM though, you might want to take some precautions to avoid the update until the new update is rooted. They aren't proven 100% perfect, but they could very well help in keeping you rooted.

1) In Root Explorer, change the name of etc/security/otacerts.zip to anything else (otacerts.HELLNO was my new name). Then reboot.

This can be done via adb as well:

adb shell mv etc/security/otacerts.zip etc/security/otacerts.KEEPMYROOT

(or whatever you want to name it to...)

adb reboot

With the above method, some people claim to have received an OTA (with the previous update) even after doing this, but I was on the stock ROM for nearly a month without receiving one, so I think it's definitely worth doing.

2) (credit to khaytsus, whose post is here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=10918594#post10918594)

In Root Explorer, go to system/build.prop, set system as r-w, and open the file in a text editor.

Change the following part:

ro.build.version.incremental=278
ro.build.version.sdk=7
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.1
ro.build.date=Thu Dec 16 14:27:20 PST 2010
ro.build.date.utc=1292538440

ro.build.description=1.0.1.278.int.enc.rrdp.s30428

# So let's use ARM, until we are totally conformatable with DSP Jpeg decoder.
# Setting limit to 2 Megs, as that seems to be the sweet spot
skia.jpeg_threshold=2000

...to the following:

ro.build.version.incremental=328
ro.build.version.sdk=7
ro.build.version.codename=REL
ro.build.version.release=2.1
ro.build.date=Fri Jan 21 18:45:35 PST 2011
ro.build.date.utc=1295664335

ro.build.description=1.1.0.328.int.enc.rrdp.s31975

# Setting limit to 1 Meg, as that seems to be the sweet spot
skia.jpeg_threshold=1024

Then reboot.

This could also be done by adb:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

adb pull system/build.prop build.prop

(then make the above changes in a text editor on your computer, and save under the same name, then...)

adb push build.prop system/build.prop

adb reboot

This second method is basically tricking your Nook into thinking it already received the OTA. This is a new method suggested in the previous link. It shouldn't hurt anything, and it just might help.

Again, we'll see if the above procedures completely disable the firmware from automatically updating, but I'd say if you don't want the update, these procedures are WELL worth doing.

As time passes, please post your results in terms of whether you get an OTA or not after doing the tricks above.

Last edited:

b0ricua

May 24, 2010
Visit site
So it sounds like this update pushes automatically? Rather than having to initiate it manually or actually hitting an "update" button?

I haven't picked up my Nook yet and am wondering if I should wait it out until a new root method is out...

trpttrooper

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Question, I have always used ASTRO File Manager for things like this but, when I try and rename the files it says I have "insufficient permissions".

Is this something that can only be done with Root Explorer?

I Don't mind buying the app just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong first

Thanks guys

Reactions: studio_jrf

edgariraheta

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I tried the steps above and it says those files do not exist on my nook color, I rooted using nookdevs root guide using autonooter for 1.0.1 any suggestions?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Question, I have always used ASTRO File Manager for things like this but, when I try and rename the files it says I have "insufficient permissions".

Is this something that can only be done with Root Explorer?

I Don't mind buying the app just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong first

Thanks guys

Astro doesn't give you Root Access, so yes, you'll need either Root Explorer, or you can do it via adb.

I tried the steps above and it says those files do not exist on my nook color, I rooted using nookdevs root guide using autonooter for 1.0.1 any suggestions?

What files? otacerts and build.prop? Trust me, they're there. If you let us know in more detail what you're doing, maybe we can help you figure out what's going on.

Reactions: trpttrooper

edgariraheta

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm doing it through adb wireless: here is what it tells me:

pull: not found
push: not found

for the otacert it says:
failed on etc/security/otacerts.zip - no such file or directory

Hopes this helps. Thank you for looking into it.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If it doesn't know push and pull, something's wrong in either your adb setup or the commands you're typing. Maybe try it wired instead of wireless.

marktaylor#AC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Thansk for the tips!!!

Went through the second method using adb and after a reboot, the nook thinks it is updated and I still have root. Thanks for posting!!!

edgariraheta

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
If it doesn't know push and pull, something's wrong in either your adb setup or the commands you're typing. Maybe try it wired instead of wireless.

i copy and pasted the commands, will that make a difference? I just tried it wired also and it's not working, I've been using ADB wireless and wired with no problems, it wont work with this for some reason.

edgariraheta

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
i copy and pasted the commands, will that make a difference? I just tried it wired also and it's not working, I've been using ADB wireless and wired with no problems, it wont work with this for some reason.

Ok so it worked!!!! I don't know what I did, except that I followed the directions from the xda forum THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

Disgustoid

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Seems to have worked for me. My NC now thinks it's been upgraded to 1.1 and all the modifications I've made and apps I've added still seem to work. We'll see how the next few days go.

Slashdot

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Just in case this wasn't mentioned yet, you need to restart your device after the hack in order to see version 1.1.0. Before that, it still shows 1.0.x

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm wondering how long the update will take to download and will it be located and downloaded right when my nook connects to the web? I'm asking because I'm cheap and haven't put up the money for Root Explorer. I figure I should get it now, since I have enough reasons to purchase it now. I'm just worried that while I'm getting it from the market on the nook, the update will download. So, if I purchase it on my phone, can I then side load it onto my nook? Or can I go to their website and download it from there and side load it that way, since my phone is not rooted? Thanks for the help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs