[TIPS] for adb "device not found" error

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
This is a common issue, getting your computer to recognize your NC in adb. Some have an easy time, for others, it's a struggle. Here are the best tips we have to get it going. Let us know how it works out:

first, reboot your Nook and your computer and see if it changes.

If that fails, download and unzip this file, open install.exe, and follow the on-screen prompts (this will install drivers so your computer will recognize the nook).

If that doesn't work, try opening the Super User app on your nook and then issuing the commands.

If that still doesn't work, refer to the steps in this wiki, repeating if necessary.

Tom S.

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I eventually gave up on Windows 7/Vista. I found an antique 8 year old XP laptop sitting in my basement. Worked the first time. Granted, it took 5 minutes to boot, but it was worth it to see the NC listed in the adb devices output.

necroscopev

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
By manually installing the abd drivers over the usb mass storage with the right ID i can get the nook to show up as an android phone under in device manager, but i can't get it to show up under adb devices, any ideas?

necroscopev

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
By manually installing the abd drivers over the usb mass storage with the right ID i can get the nook to show up as an android phone under in device manager, but i can't get it to show up under adb devices, any ideas?

Fixed it with the help of lolcasetater on #nookcolor irc. I was only changing the mass storage device driver and not the composite driver. Once i changed the composite one i was all set!

ricsam

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
After follow the instruction to the exact letter, seeing nc in device manager but no device in adb cmd devices, this fix worked for me:

Go device manger and uninstall driver at device manager - android device - android composite adb interface.

Unplug nc from usb. wait

Plug nc back in. W7 recognized new usb device, auto search for drivers and installs drivers. cmd adb devices now sees my nc serial #.

I havent had any issues since.

quixoticelixer

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Ricsam... I'm using vista. Under device manager I have multiple options. Android phone -sub- nook color

Also have portable devices -sub- ebook disk ebook disk Microsoft wpd filesystem volume driver

Which do I uninstall

quixoticelixer

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Never mind. I rebooted computer and it installed adb, next problem

opening command prompt to sideload GApps and i get
"adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

Last edited:

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
I use the install executable in the OP. After a while(couple of days, couple of weeks) the nook is not recognized, and I just use the install executable again, and then everything is fine.

It could stop seeing the nook because I connect my LG Optimus S and my HTC Hero to this laptop as well.

WS64

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't get it to work...

I have reached the point where the device manager accepts the NC as Android Phone/Android ADB Interface (no luck at all with the Android Composite ADB Interface version).

All these tips telling me to remove the USB device with the VID_2080 and plug NC off and on again leads to the same USB device being reinstalled. The only thing helped to get to this point was to manually point this device to the right drivers and it will be recognized as ADB inteferface (no composite).
Is it correct that at this point the NC will not get recognized as a harddrive anymore? To get this back I have to uninstall the Android device, a "search for new hardware" then brings me back my Nook (and its card).

But, "ADB devices" fails to find anything, with or without the ADB Interface being found in device manager.

I tried this in my Win7 (64 bit) and a XP VM within my Win7.
To make things even harder, my computer is in (my native) german, so I always have to guess how the english devices might translate to the german version...

What does the SuperUser comment of the OP mean? I have no idea how to "issuing the commands". The log file does not see any attempts of a connection by my Win7.

necroscopev's comment, "I was only changing the mass storage device driver and not the composite driver. Once i changed the composite one i was all set!" sounds promising, but I just find one USB device with the hardware ID VID_2080.

Can anyone point me to what I'm doing wrong here?

ndinfla

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
cant get laptop to recognize as android

I have to jump in the pool. I cannot even get my computer to recognize the NC as an android device. It shows up under mass storage. i have reinstalled driver at least 3 times. When i search for ADB nothing comes back...HELP Please. BTW froyo burned to boot from card.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was able to use adb a week or so ago, but have had no luck at all today. I tried all of the hints in this and other forums without luck.

I ended up using dropbox to send the adbWireless app to my rooted NC then used Root Explorer to move it to /system/app and change the prefs to match the other apps. At that point it worked and I could talk to the NC with adb again. I tried the same procedure with AngryBirds but it didn't work, however I was now able to install it wirelessly using adb.

I didn't expect the Nook to come with quite this much of a learning experience, but having been retired since 1994 I need an occasional technical challenge to keep the "little grey cells" active :)

bradrr

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Cant get "Android ADB composite interface" in Device Manager

I've tried every option on android central, droidoholics, and wiki... I keep getting two "B&N Ebook Disk USB Device" showing up under Disk drives in the device manager. I haven't once seen "Android ADB composite interface" or Android Platform sooner single ADB interface, or anything else.

plus I keep getting the error of "device not found" after I put in:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system

I even tried deleting everything off my computer and starting over.... same result.

WS64

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
bradrr, have you tried to point the driver of the USB device with the hardware-ID VID_2080 to the path of one of USB drivers from central of droidoholics?
This way I got the NC at least to show up as Android ADB Interface, but no luck with ADB at all.

I now even installed the whole thing to my Netbook (XP). Same result. So it is not a Win7 64bit problem.

Can it be that the Android SDK has changed and is not incompatible anymore?

I use Revision 9, and I think some of the sites talked of using Revision 8.
Did anyone get it to work on Revision 9?
Is Revision 8 still available somewhere, or does that really not matter since this is just the program that installs the other things?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis