Unofficial rumor on official Froyo from BN...

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I stopped by BN today to do some studying and stopped by the Nook stand in the store to see if their NC's were at 1.1.0... they were.

Anyway, I got to talking to the store rep for the Nook line about the changes in 1.1.0. I mentioned that I was really looking forward to when BN would finally release Froyo for the NC.

She said she had talked to one of the BN Nook support techs (the BN support techs for the in-store Nook reps to call) on the phone and they had told her that Froyo was expected by April 15 (no, not April 1...)!

OK, I know what you are thinking. "Oh, an IN STORE REP for the Nooks?!? She probably doesn't know the difference between Froyo and a Yo-Yo!" That's what I thought too. However, after talking to her for a few minutes I quickly realized that she at least had a clue about Android devices, including some of the lastest reports on new, competing, equipment that was coming with Honeycomb.

The bottom line is that you can take it for what it is worth. However, I REALLY hope that she DOES have a clue and that Froyo will be here in a couple months! :cool:

Scott

comets8518

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I also got told by the BN rep... Soon youtube and other sites will be supported on the nook. She never said froyo, she just said future update.

Axe

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Any truth to the rumor of B&N patching all the devices to remove all these extra capabilities? Are supplier problems truly to blame?

NDchem2014

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I could see a patch in the works to try and stop rooting. I don't see it making a bit of difference. Well, the difference will come in how many of these things they are selling. I'm happy with 2.1 right now and will be for the long run if something happens to the ability to root. I just realize that they are a company that needs to try and make money. If rooting it and using kindle instead of the B&N store is costing them profit, then I think B&N has every right to try and stop rooting. They are the ones choosing to sell a sweet tablet for only 250 bucks. Maybe it's 250 with no rooting instead of 300-400 without rooting.

Harreh

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I could see a patch in the works to try and stop rooting. I don't see it making a bit of difference. Well, the difference will come in how many of these things they are selling. I'm happy with 2.1 right now and will be for the long run if something happens to the ability to root. I just realize that they are a company that needs to try and make money. If rooting it and using kindle instead of the B&N store is costing them profit, then I think B&N has every right to try and stop rooting. They are the ones choosing to sell a sweet tablet for only 250 bucks. Maybe it's 250 with no rooting instead of 300-400 without rooting.

What they should have done is not use an open source os....my 2 cents. although, i'm glad they did. =)

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
What they should have done is not use an open source os....my 2 cents. although, i'm glad they did. =)

Agreed.... I really think that the idea to use Android was a cost-cutting measure to keep the price of the tablet down. No licensing fees or paying someone to code from the ground up... but with open source, you definitely take the chance of leaving yourself open to enterprising developers ;)

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Comets8518,

So far as I know, on Android, you can't have YouTube without Adobe Flash and you can't have Adobe Flash without Froyo.

Well, I take that back, there is the Eclair YouTube player and I hope that isn't what you heard about...

Scott

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay