Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    ROM
    Abeast v4

Default Bought the NC 5 days ago, BUT.....

If BN is going to try to block the dev community, i may just return it and get the gtab. Any thoughts?

ROM
    Stock Moto, CM7

If they're going to block development on the NEW tablets, there's not much they can do about those of us who already have rooted tablets who aren't taking their updates. If you've already got one, you're good to go, it just depends on whether or not you're willing to keep up with the dev community updates as opposed to taking the stock B&N updates. Honestly though, I would say that it's not THAT big an issue, in that no matter what they come up with as far as anti-rooting measures, it will just be a matter of time before someone finds their way around them... look at phones like the Droid X, Motorola pretty much touted it as "unhackable" and it took all of what... a month until it was figured out how to get around the locked bootloader? I really think it's going to come down to whether you want something to tinker with, or something that updates are handed to you. Personal preference, I'm down with tinkering... I spent all morning trying out different boot animations on my Nook
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    ROM
    Abeast v4

As much as i really didn't want to, i took my NC back. IT cost me a tad more, but i went with the galaxy tab. I did, however, enjoy the NC for the 7 days that i had it. =)

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harreh View Post
    As much as i really didn't want to, i took my NC back. IT cost me a tad more, but i went with the galaxy tab. I did, however, enjoy the NC for the 7 days that i had it. =)
    A tad more??? Try a "tablet" more!

Cheers,
    kev

I would suggest keeping it if you like it. If B&N is pulling them in order to stop the dev community, that simply means the dev community is doing so much with the device that B&N is getting worried. Sales are up for the wrong reasons = bad for them. Dev's are making amazing strides to provide us with the cheapest fully capable tablet would could hope for = good for us.

Because so much has already been done with the Nook, there's no reason to think it will stop just because some walls were put up by B&N. Over the last week everyone has praised the dev community because of their amazing talents. I would be hard pressed to believe that B&N trying to lock down the device would really stop anything.

The devs who have been making strides with the Nook Color have truly shown what they are capable of within the last week. Don't let B&N's counterstrike hide their talents... don't doubt it for an instant, anything B&N can do, the dev community can do better.

My advice is, if you like it, keep it. If you weren't thinking of getting rid of it before hearing this news, I wouldn't suggest getting rid of it now.

Global Posts
    5 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xnewethicx View Post
    If they're going to block development on the NEW tablets, there's not much they can do about those of us who already have rooted tablets who aren't taking their updates. If you've already got one, you're good to go, it just depends on whether or not you're willing to keep up with the dev community updates as opposed to taking the stock B&N updates. Honestly though, I would say that it's not THAT big an issue, in that no matter what they come up with as far as anti-rooting measures, it will just be a matter of time before someone finds their way around them... look at phones like the Droid X, Motorola pretty much touted it as "unhackable" and it took all of what... a month until it was figured out how to get around the locked bootloader? I really think it's going to come down to whether you want something to tinker with, or something that updates are handed to you. Personal preference, I'm down with tinkering... I spent all morning trying out different boot animations on my Nook
    Seconded!

Quote Originally Posted by scoty024 View Post
    I would suggest keeping it if you like it. If B&N is pulling them in order to stop the dev community, that simply means the dev community is doing so much with the device that B&N is getting worried. Sales are up for the wrong reasons = bad for them. ...
    Did you know the Nook is B&N best selling item ever? Why on earth should they care how it's being used. As long as they make money at it what's the harm?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
    Did you know the Nook is B&N best selling item ever? Why on earth should they care how it's being used. As long as they make money at it what's the harm?

Mike
    IMHO-
    I'm sure there was a projected number of books, magazines, etc.. that some accountant tied to each Nook sales. With the number of Nooks that have been "rooted" that number surely took a nosedive.

B&N most likely is selling the NC "at" or "near" cost, i.e. little to no profit. I know I wouldn't want to work for free or for pennies.

Anyway, after the cnet story about the supply of NC's drying up I went to wally world pulled the trigger and picked up the last one they had. Now, I'm just waiting for Newegg to deliver my class 10 micro SD so I can join in the fun.

Great forum you have here. I hope to pitch in and add to the forum where I can.

Brent