Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help on a bizarre issue... 4 partitions on a 4 gig chip?

OK, I'm looking at doing a froyo chip for a second nook... and I had this 4 gig class 4 laying around...

So I start the process, including formatting said chip, only to discover that somehow... it has FOUR partitions on it and the only one I can access has 117 meg.

It's nothing special... a SanDisk that I think I might have had in a BlackBerry... but my pre-droid days are kind of electronically hazy... as in one day with a D1 and my Storm became a doorstop.

I looked all over and couldn't find a way to get rid of the partitions on the chip. I tried partition magic... and "computer manager" but while it saw the chip, it wouldn't let me delete or expand the partition.

I'm running Windows 7 on my PC. Any ideas would be appreciated!
    ☆ ★ | ROM | [JellyBean][4.3] BeanStalk Build 4.3.1001 - [04 OCT] |★ ☆

Are you connecting the SD card to the PC via a USB adapter or through a phone?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Media card reader that's part of the computer.

what does it say when you start writing the image to the SD card, does it give you an error?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

No... I'm able to write the image. But there's very little room left over because the only partition I can access is 117 meg.

That's why I'm asking if there's a way to wipe the partitions... so I can use the whole card/chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kage87Z View Post
    No... I'm able to write the image. But there's very little room left over because the only partition I can access is 117 meg.

That's why I'm asking if there's a way to wipe the partitions... so I can use the whole card/chip.
    I'm guessing you've installed nookie. Nookie does in fact create 4 partitions. OS and two special OS partitions and the fourth SDCard partition.

By default, the image burning software creates a small SDCard image. You can expand the sdcard partition using EASEUS partition manager, do a search on this board.

Secondly, you can't directly access the fourth partition via the PC usb, you'll have to do it via the nook itself. One way is using a tool call browsix.

Mike
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes... It's formerly a nookie chip... so the image write will effectively take care of this issue as part of the process?

Quote Originally Posted by Kage87Z View Post
    Yes... It's formerly a nookie chip... so the image write will effectively take care of this issue as part of the process?
    Not sure I understand what you're asking. If you plan to do a fresh install, you can format the sd card and get all of the 4GB back. then do an image write to get nookie back onto that card.

If you just want to claim the additional for use by your current nookie install, you need to use EASEUS partition manager to extend the partition size of the sdcard. You'll have to do this in either case, an image write doesn't allocate the extra space.

Mike

I downloaded a tool called Paragon Partition Manager and was able to delete all of the partitions and start again.