[HOW-TO] Flashable Zip: Install Honeycomb to Internal Memory (eMMC) of Nook Color

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
A flashable zip is now available for the latest update. I haven't tested this personally, but most people seem to be having success with it. Instructions for an adb installation are posted as well - take your pick!

Developer deeper-blue, who ported Honeycomb to the Nook Color, has a thread here.

Note that YOU WILL BE ERASING EVERYTHING on the internal memory of your Nook. Yes, all your data will be gone. Again, turn back now if you aren't comfortable with that.

If you're already rooted or are running Nookie Froyo on internal memory, you might want to do a Titanium Backup first, as this could help get your data back if you restore back to that state later. Just be aware that some apps will cause the system to crash on Honeycomb (it is still an early build) so be careful doing mass restores with Titanium. One app at a time, and only the apps that are most important is what I'd suggest. If something crashes, just repeat the instructions to start fresh with HC.

If you want to go back to stock, refer to our stickied Restore NC to stock thread. Please read over all of those instructions beforehand and decide if that's something you're comfortable with doing if things go south. If not, please refrain and wait for a 100% stable Honeycomb ROM.

Flashable zip instructions:

Credit to samuelhalff for the zip, whose thread can be found here: [ZIP][DEV][ROM] HoneyComb (HC) v4 on eMMC - Flashable ZIP - xda-developers

* Note that the flashable zip uses the 1.1GHz overclock kernel by default.

1. Download the zip here.

2. Download this ClockworkMod recovery image and burn it to an SD card. Please refer to threads on rooting or on installing Honeycomb to SD if you haven't yet learned how to burn an image to an SD card.

3. Drag/drop the zip file onto the newly-burned SD card.

- if there isn't enough room on the card, or if it isn't responding, you can a) use a seconds card that you switch out after Clockwork boots, or b) reformat the Clockwork card and put the file on it then (after it boots into CW)

4. Power down your Nook, insert the SD, and power on. You're now in ClockworkMod Recovery.

5. Under mounts/storage, choose format system, then format data, then format boot.

6. Use the power button to go back, then choose 'Install zip from SD card,' then 'choose zip from SD card,' then choose the file.

7. Wait for the process to complete - it will take a while.

You should now have Honeycomb installed on your Nook - including Market/Google apps.

* If you have problems downloading from the Market, under Settings, go to Applications>Manage Applications>Google Services Framework - and choose wipe data and force stop. Still under Manage Applications, choose Market, and force stop. Then reboot and see if it works.

* If it isn't reading your SD card, power down, insert your SD before powering on, then boot up.

* If you have other problems, I can vouch for the installation method below.

ADB installation instructions:

Indirect credit goes to the authors of various methods from different (Nookie-related) tutorials, including those by samuelhalff, fattire, and theyownus.

This is some advanced command line stuff, so please only proceed if you're comfortable taking risks with your device (we aren't responsible if it becomes a $250 windshield scraper).

This image of deeper-blue's v04 Honeycomb port is already rooted. To make everything 100% root-ready, install Titanium Backup, and hit the 'Problems?' button (after installing HC of course).

Still here? Okay, here we go . . .[/I]

1. Download the following 2 files, and extract them using WinRAR (on PC), or Stuffit Expander (on Mac):

hc4system.img.gz

hc4data.img.gz

* if you'd prefer, here is a torrent link to the data file:

hc4data.img.gz

- then download one of the following two files--one is overclocked to 1.1GHz, the other is the stock 800MHz kernel. The OC'd one runs very fast.

hc4boot.img.gz (800 MHz)

hc4bootOC.img.gz (overclocked - 1.1GHz)

* if you'd prefer, here's a torrent link to the overclocked boot file:

hc4bootOC.img.gz

3. Download this ClockworkMod recovery image and burn it to an SD card. Please refer to threads on rooting or on installing Honeycomb to SD if you haven't yet learned how to burn an image to an SD card.

- If your card is big enough, drag the files onto the card now.

4. If you didn't have enough room for the files, then you can either use a second SD card (which you'll switch out after the Nook has booted into Clockwork), or you can actually reformat the Clockwork card after it's booted, put the files on it and then put it into the Nook (which is still sitting there in Clockwork).

Boot your nook with the SD inserted to enter clockwork.

5. Connect the Nook to your computer with whichever SD card has the 3 files on it inserted.

At this point, hit wipe cache.

Then select mounts/storage, and mount sdcard.

6. Now open a command/terminal prompt in your adb folder, and enter the following commands (NOTE THAT THE COMMANDS THAT START WITH DD WILL TAKE TIME--WAIT FOR THE BLINKING CURSOR TO GO AWAY) :

adb shell

dd if=/sdcard/hc4boot.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (replace the hc4boot.img part with hc4bootOC.img if you're using the overclock kernel)

dd if=/sdcard/hc4system.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p5

dd if=/sdcard/hc4data.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p6

Now you can power down. Power back on (without a bootable SD inserted) and it should boot into Honeycomb.

Installing the Android Market on the Nook Color running Honeycomb internally:

1. Download this version of the Market (2.2.11).

2. Download GoogleServicesFramework.apk.

3. Place the files in your adb tools folder (or platform-tools on the newer version - wherever adb.exe is)

4. Open a command prompt in that folder, and issue the following commands:

adb shell mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 /system

adb push Vending.apk system/app/Vending.apk

adb push GoogleServicesFramework.apk system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

adb shell

cd system/app

chmod 6755 Vending.apk

chmod 6755 GoogleServicesFramework.apk

exit

adb reboot

Then go to apps, open the market, sign in. If the Market won't open at first, reboot and try again.

***note that you may (or may not) need to turn your screen off/on once after every reboot to avoid touchscreen lag (much like w/Nookie Froyo). I haven't had to do this with the recent updates, but be aware, in case you find it not very responsive.

****While running Honeycomb from Internal Memory NEVER choose the option to format your SD Card from within Honeycomb. The files that were altered to let HC run internally will lead the OS to actually format your boot partition instead of your SD. If you need to format an SD, do it on your computer or in an Android phone, etc.*****

Last edited:

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, wow, I was just thinking of doing the Honeycomb/SD card method and now I see this.

Does Clockwork recovery work with making NAND back ups if I'm rooted?

No Clockwork Recovery at this point.

If you're looking for a simple install and good performance, pick up a quality Class 10 SD, install the new overclock kernel for v3 and run it that way. This internal method ain't for the faint of heart (plus it has that red screen flash thingy that hung around on the SD version until the most recent update).

AintSkerd

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Praying for the day we can flash in and out of ROMs in Clockwork like our phones.
What is the hold up?
Why all the adb command line stuff?
Is the hardware or CW not able?
Its not that I am not capable, just lazy :D
Truly spoiled being able to jump from stock to BB to MIUI to Cyanogen in a matter of couple clicks on D1.

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Formatted/ followed instructions and it won't boot for me. I tried the 800 and 1100 images and still not boot. Anything I'm missing?

Maybe try wiping cache in clockwork before the commands - I added that to OP just in case. ...or in your case, wipe cache and try booting from where you are now.

ljp274

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Two questions.
1-Is possible to install the widgets from market?
2-Somebody know if you download the youtube from market, is the youtube shown in the event?

robt1

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
insanely cool! Thank you! Just made the jump from froyo and loving it so far. Now if i can just get the keyboard stuff sorted out...hoping for a good tips thread soon like the froyo one

sudhirkhanger

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I get error mounting sdcard (no such file or directory) and unable to write to ums lunfile (no such file or directory)

Edit: Solved by rebooting into recovery using rom manager. Thanks.

Last edited:

gayborg1

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have HC installed, thank you for the instructions, but I've noticed a few problems. My NC was originally purchased as a book reader (of course), but I wanted more out of it. Now that I have it rooted with HC, some apps work, some don't. And, the one I wanted to work with it was NookColor app. This loads beautifully, but when trying to launch a book to read, it just hangs like it is searching for the book (at this writing, it's still doing the search, and it's been 15 minutes). I tried loading amazon's kindle, but it reboots my NC every time. I like to read, and if I can't do this, why bother.

Any suggestions?

Will Shanklin

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
You can't boot into Clockwork on Honeycomb, not now at least.

Many apps are going to have problems - this is an early build of a port of an sdk preview. If you want a tablet that gives you a surprisingly solid (for this stage) preview of Honeycomb, then go for it - but for those wanting a stable Barnes & Noble e-reading experience, of course this isn't the route for you right now.

sudhirkhanger

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
This is highly experimental. It corrupted my /boot after a couple of hours of use. NookColor wouldn't boot at all.

This port isn't worth it at the moment.