New Nook Color Convert - Quick Questions

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey all- I'm a new Nook Color convert, actually my wife will be the one as I'm getting this as a gift for her for Valentine's day. I just made the purchase online so that I could take advantage of the free case/cover deal with it (unfortunately they don't offer rainchecks per the ad's fine print otherwise I would have got one in store).

Just had a few questions for those of you who have gone before me on this and use this tablet daily:

1) I just bought this micro sd for running Nookie on the NC since it was a great price, had decent reviews, and is a class 10: Amazon.com: Kingmax 8GB MicroSDHC Class 10 High Performance Flash Memory Card 8 GB - Retail Package: Electronics I have had issues with 'cheap' cards in the past though that corrupted. Once I get a stable build of NC running with apps, screens, and accounts configured correctly, what is the best way to create a 1 to 1 exact backup of the card just in case the card corrupts at some point? I'm on OSX, can I use carbon copy cloner to do this, any suggestions?

2) What's the best way to ensure that BN updates are turned off on the device? I want to make sure that when I give this to my wife she won't accidentally have the device update and then ruin the Nookie SD card install. Is there any way to safeguard against this? When running Nookie vis SD do you even have to go through the intial B&N setup on the device or can you just pop the SD card in from the get go and have it work out of the gate?

3) A few main apps that I know my wife will use is WordFeud, YouVersion Bible (because it has offline versions now), OverDrive Media Console (for checking out books from local library digitally), Doodle Jump, Live Holdem, Rdio, Pandora, AudioGalaxy. Can any of you confirm that these work on the NC using Nookie? I'm especially interested in hearing if OverDrive works as this = tons of free ebooks and audiobooks since our local library is hooked in to it big time.

4) What are the major advantages of running Android natively on the internal memory over running it just via Nookie on the SD card? Obviously speed is probably the biggest thing, but is it THAT much faster then running it off of a Class 10 SD card? Would running it natively on the internal memory prevent it from receiving a B&N update?

Thanks guys and gals I really appreciate any help you can provide on this subject!

-S

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I can tell you is that doodle jump works, at least from rooted stock rom so I would assume it does from nookie froyo..

Last edited:

adcjunkman

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I run the native Android 2.1, with BN 1.1.0 firmware, but rooted and overclocked to 1.1 GHz. I cannot comment on your specific Nookie Froyo questions. However, if you are running Froyo either off the SD card or from internal memory, then the BN updates will not be a problem as your device will never know to try and look for them....the OTA updates are part of the stock BN firmware. Running Froyo in any form will permanently block the updates.

I would make a case for using the stock Eclair instead of trying to run Froyo. In their current forms, both Nookie Froyo and Honeycomb have issues - software compatibillity, stability, etc. I have been running my current setup for about 3 weeks - and I use the device heavily on a daily basis at work. I have no stability issues, and have speed benchmark scores that exceed those of the Galaxy Tab. Once they iron out the issues with the updated versions of Android - 2.2, 2.3, and 3.0 - I will likely make the switch to one of them. Right now, I rely on the device too much to deal with 'minor' issues on a daily basis. Unless there is something you want to do that you cannot with the stock Android 2.1 (really just Flash or app2SD installations), then in my mind there is no reason to make the switch. Actually, I have flash working on my device...it is just an older version (9.something), so I can run some older flash content. There is also a way to permanently block the BN OTA updates while still running the stock OS and firmware ([ROOKIE][DEV][HOWTO] Permenant BN-OTA Update Block - xda-developers).

Cheers.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
adcjunkman- thanks you make a convincing argument for 2.1. Stability is key in my situation. I just want to confirm- when you are running 2.1 are you able to use a third party launcher like LauncherPro? Just want to be clear as well- running 2.1 rooted like you do, there is no risk of B&N updates? Thanks!

adcjunkman

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I am using the Zeam launcher without problems. I have heard that LauncherPro is the other favorite launcher for the stock 2.1...haven't run it myself but others have without any trouble. Regarding the fixes for the B&N OTA updates...nobody really knows for sure if the available fixes will work. There are three methods that people have used:
1. Renaming a file (called otacerts.zip...or something like that) that is contained in the system files
2. Modifying the build.prop file to trick the device into thinking you already got the most recent update
3. The method detailed in the thread I posted above

The first two have reportedly failed some people, but worked for others. Makes me believe that those who got the unwanted update didn't do something right. The third method is supposed to be solid - you are essentially disabling automatic updates, and also setting the interval at which the device would normally check for updates to one year (see the thread for details). However, there is no way to know for sure if this will actually block the updates until another one comes out and we see if any of us get it. I can say that I applied all three methods above and ran on the 1.0.1 firmware for two weeks after the 1.1.0 update was supposed to be pushed and did not get the update or lose root. The guys that came up with the third method above seem pretty confident that they have the permanent solution. Worst case, if I get an unwanted update and lose root, I will re-install 1.0.1 and start over (there are detailed threads at xda describing how to go about doing this). Getting an unwanted update would very likely finally push me to install Froyo...or hopefully by that time a more stable build of Honeycomb. As I said, I will likely migrate to one of these eventually, but the forums at xda are just FULL of people complaining of several issues running either of these Android versions. They will get the kinks worked out....I am just trying to be patient...

jeregano

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I plan to run Nookie FroYo (or Honeycomb) from the SD card and root the stock Nook 1.1 (2.1 android version) as well. From my understanding:

1) Updates will not affect anything run off of an SD card, and you can switch from anything running off of SD to the Stock (rooted or not) by simply turning the Nook off and removing the SD card. If an Update hits the Nook (by accident or whatever) it will not affect the ability to run FroYo or anything on the SD card. It will be completely unchanged.

2) Updates WILL affect the rooted STOCK Nook system (Nook 1.1 aka Android 2.1). So if the system gets updated Root will be lost until a new root is worked out. This WILL NOT affect the running of anything that runs off of the SD card. Nookie on SD will continue to run the way it always did. As long as the card is in at boot, it will boot to Nookie.

3) Any thing that replaces the stock Nook system on the system memory will not be affected by updates, B&N no longer recognizes the device as a Nook Color so updates can't be pushed to a device that runs Nookie or HC from the System Memory.

4) It looks like, if in addition to root, you do as the link adcjunkman gives you will block updates, safeguarding your root on stock (Nook 1.1 aka Android 2.1) system.

The rooted stock certainly seems the most stable and capable RIGHT NOW. It can do all the things the nook can normally do plus anything 2.1 can do. The other methods have some things to still be worked out. That is why I intend to have the rooted stock with the option of running the others off of SD until all the kinks are worked out. If you run the others off of SD and run into something they just can't do yet you can turn the nook off, remove your SD card and just use the nice stable stock ROM. Easy as can be.

Reactions: soundsource

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
The guys above pretty much covered it. I will add to your 2nd question. I've had a NC for a few days and I never went through the B&N setup. I booted it once to the stock intro/welcome screen. After that I've been running Nookie and Honeycomb from the SD card ever since.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys, this sounds great! I think you've convinced me to go with 2.1 root along with 'fixes' to prevent auto-update. My wife won't need anything that comes with the new updates. Everything 2.1 can do will be sufficient for her even 1-3 years from now. Really appreciate your help! Any of you guys used OverDrive Media Console on your Nooks? I found an older thread that seemed to indicate it does work but that the epub books are a bit wonky to load onto the app.

-S

adcjunkman

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Never used Overdrive media....I actually use the Kindle app....feel kind of bad about it, but I already had an Amazon account and didn't want to start over with B&N.

swoozle

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I am using Overdrive and it works fine IF you turn off full-screen viewing before you go into your first book. Otherwise there is no way to get to the menu, even with Softkeys (as far as I can tell).
I've got a book checked out of the library and have been reading it over the last couple of days with no problems.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Hey thanks for responding! When you say 'turn off full-screen' is this an option in OverDrive or this an option on the Nook?

adcjunkman

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I downloaded OverDrive and messed around with it a little...I might just have to go down to my local library and actually get a card. Anyway, it is an option within OverDrive. Look for settings in the program's menus and just disable fullscreen - it is on by default.

lazarus

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
You definitely should do that! Overdrive has been so awesome to have. I know longer have an audible account for audiobooks because my local library has a really good selection, I'll never run out. It all depends on how many digital licenses your local library has. Having this on the Nook is doubly cool because you can get epubs as well. This is one of the main apps my wife will use this gadget for. Super stoked to get this set up- thanks guys!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463