Plz watch out

redwyvern

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wow. That sux making money off of this. But I must admit, his NC is very fast, I'm overclocked on stock rom, and can't get that kind of speed!

Edit: Quadrant scores a 1248, so I shouldn't complain.

Last edited:

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
I haven't seen this, but I did see a while back that people were selling "jailbroken" Nook Colors on eBay for more than $100 over the retail cost. So $250 Nook Color, $20 microSD card, 30 minutes to create the microSD with Google Apps, and turn around and sell it for a $100+ profit.

Just looked on eBay again. Folks are also selling Froyo cards for $50.

P.T.Barnum had it partially right. There's a scumbag born every minute.

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
That's a damned shame... I've had several co workers offer to pay me to set their stuff up for them, whether it be NCs or phones... I couldn't bring myself to take money for it if I tried... As long as they buy the materials (micoSD, etc) I have no problem doing it because it's FUN and I ENJOY it... what an affront this is to the open source community : /

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
yes, it is. any user can replicate the same with a little work.
It sucks that people get something given out for free and charge other people.

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
That's a damned shame... I've had several co workers offer to pay me to set their stuff up for them, whether it be NCs or phones... I couldn't bring myself to take money for it if I tried...

In the interest of full-disclosure, I have taken beer to fix someone's computer after their kids got it infected with a virus for the umpteenth time.

GrillMouster

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The OP referred to someone selling a custom ROM. I can understand a conflict with selling intellectual property that someone else has made available for free. However the posts that follow vilify people who are reselling customized hardware or are selling their customization services. How is that different from buying a customized car or paying someone to mod my car or to install and calibrate my home theater? How is out different from paying someone to set up my computer for me?

It sounds to me as though most of you are saying that only those people who have the time, willingness, and know-how to customize their devices themselves should be allowed to do so. If I'm intimidated the the process and afraid that I'll mess something up, or if I'm just too busy to do it myself between work, family and other responsibilities, what's wrong with paying someone to do it for me?

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I think you are missing point, In this forum you can find all the stuff you need to cuztomize your NC. The guy in the youtube video is probably selling something thats giving out for free, I don't think he develop the FROYO rom. he probably got all the work from the other devs, put it together and is selling it. Thats something to be shamefull, thats going agains open source .

Now if someone wants to pay for rooting services or tech support thats on them. Somepeople like to waste money or dont care about expending money. I personally wont pay for something I can do or learn how to do.
I want to know what I am doing to my property. There are a lot of malicious programs out there.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I found all the info to mod my xbox for free on the net, did a lot of reading, downloaded everything I needed and in the end purchased one already modded because it was more involved then I wanted to do

I personally see nothing wrong with selling a nook already set up or the cards already flashed, it is a service and people will pay

In the end I learned to mod the xbox and I did do my own nook

now if they are claiming it as their own then that is wrong

GrillMouster

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Most of the folks here have a DIY attitude toward electronics, so I expected people to bring up the fact that the tools and instructions for Nook modding are readily available and are virtually free. I was just making the point that the even though people CAN do something themselves for free or little money, it doesn't make it wrong for someone to do it for them for a fee.

I could wash my car or change my oil for little or no cost, but I prefer to pay someone else to do it; I'd rather spend my time doing something else. Does that make the the car washer evil? Of course not.

barakisbrown

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
True. But the spirit of opensource means if your stuff is made from opensource then you should not sell it and should give back to the community.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b5.1.1 using Tapatalk

tino

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
If Android has the Apache license, you probably can take it and repackage and sell it.

There is no point to call him "unauthorized", just call him out on the youtube comment.

GrillMouster

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
True. But the spirit of opensource means if your stuff is made from opensource then you should not sell it and should give back to the community.

Sent from my VEGAn-TAB-v1.0.0b5.1.1 using Tapatalk

Sound like hippie talk to me. ;) Let's not give broader meaning to open source than it's supposed to have. The software itself can be free, but the effort that went into putting it onto the device and modifying it doesn't have to be free. Look at what the device manufacturers are doing? They get Android free from Google and then they mod it and put it on a device that they sell.

redwyvern

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree. I charge for computer repair, and it's nothing that people couldn't do themselves. He's not selling the apps, he's selling his time. There is a difference. We may not like it, but the fact remains that some people don't want to take risks, or get "hands-on" with their gadgets. If I could find an xbox 360 modder near me, I'd pay to have it modded, and I'm no slouch at modding, but I happen to have the drive that needs to be soldered

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
In the interest of full-disclosure, I have taken beer to fix someone's computer after their kids got it infected with a virus for the umpteenth time.

Oh, there's nothing wrong with THAT, that's just expressing thanks! I don't drink, so I've gotten a quick lunch taken care of, or a bag of my favorite pretzel m&m's left on my desk, but there was no solicitation for money for helping out.

Haha, in college a buddy of mine who needed tech help on a regular basis actually said once "You confuse the hell out of me... normally someone helps out, I buy them a pack of smokes or a case of beer... I can't do either for you. What DO I give you?" as a joke I said, "A box of graham crackers and a case of Sprite?" Now, 10 years later, at 33 years old, if he needs help, a case of Sprite and a box of graham crackers aren't too far away ;)

quixoticelixer

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't see a problem with selling a service to just some regular Joe. My friends feed me.
You don't believe that if cyanogen team accepted mailed in NCs and a $100 bill that they wouldn't do the work? That's just plain dumb not to.

sqpantz

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Personally I don't see a problem with anyone selling something that can be obtained elsewhere for free. Heck, I wish I had thought of selling bottled tap water as a business model...

justin926

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
the way i see it, if someone is willing to pay for something, it should be ok to sell it. myself, i would not pay someone to mod/hack any of my electronics, because i like the learning experience, and keeping track of updates becomes easier if you understand whats going on. however, i would pay someone to fix my car, because i dont have a clue what im doing, and i see that as the same thing as paying someone to modify your device. its just a matter of what someone's willing to buy, whats being sold, and a persons personal preference.

EDIT: however, i think modifying someone else's work and selling it as your own is wrong, like the youtube guy was doing... it would be different if he was hacking the nooks, but hes just providing the software for people to do it themselves.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol