Thanks and "what I learned"

techienana

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I want to say thanks for everything I have gleaned from this forum. As a result, I now have a pristine Nook Color running Froyo on one sd card and Honeycomb on another - something I didn't think I would be able to do when I first set out to try it.

However, it's sometimes the little things that you don't know that can trip you up and that's what happened to me. I was a total noob at this and found in some cases that previous knowledge of some of the steps was essential to success. I dug deep and read many threads from many sites and finally got it all figured out. I would like to share these perhaps simplistic and noobie-ish thoughts that may already be well-known to others. But they just might help someone else!

1. When installing apps to Nookie Froyo on an sd card, be sure that you have turned on file transfer on the Nook itself. I got so many error messages due to just this one oversight.

2. I had to go into Windows 7 Task Manager to stop adb.exe so that I could eject the Nook. Not doing so was very problematic, involving rebooting my laptop and the Nook before I could keep working. I couldn't figure out any other way to do it safely but someone else may know what I was doing wrong in the first place.

3. All files that I wanted to transfer had to actually be in the platform-tools directory, where the adb.exe file is. I had read this but didn't put two and two together until today. Transferring files turned out to be so easy after this. I think I kind of thought that the tools directory was not to be touched in any way or it would mess up the installation. Nope, it doesn't work like that.

4. I zipped a lot of files to make it easier to transfer them and used Androzip to extract them. Browsix didn't work for me (probably something to do with my wifi setup) and while I have used Dropbox before, I didn't want to have to go through the whole tutorial on how to transfer the files I needed. Figuring out that zipping (bundling) folders/files together and then placing them in the proper directory resulted in a very satisfactory experience in transferring pics, mp3s and video.

5. I was anxious to get Catch Notes, Aldiko Reader and a few others on the NC, but couldn't find the apps in the Market. However, not finding them in the Market doesn't mean they won't run on Froyo or HC. Sometimes they actually install and running them on the Nook is a total disaster, but a lot of apps will run. I managed to get most of my favorites installed and when I couldn't, I found some very nice substitutes with which I ended up replacing the original apps!

Again, this may be very simplistic and noobie-ish for most of the forum members, but even if nobody benefits, I had fun remembering the journey.

quixoticelixer

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Its threads lime this that encourage others. You can't Google search what you Just posted!!!
The biggest headaches I had with the whole process was basic cover all bases for each step.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae