[HOW-TO] Install Official CM7 Release (Gingerbread) to Internal Memory (eMMC)

Kazy

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Just want to thank fattire, dalingrin, and all the Cyanogenmod people for this.

Release Candidate is out!

Thanks to eyeballer from XDA for these instructions
Prologue
This guide is intended to take you through the steps needed to replace your internal nook rom with CM7, gapps, overclock kernel (optional) and clockworkmod recovery 3.0.1.0 all on EMMC. This will work coming from any previous rom (excluding dual boot set ups, not supporting that here), no previous rooting is needed for a new nook, however don't forget to boot stock and register the device before flashing to CM7.

I take no credit for any of the files used in this guide, I'm preserving original posts so thanks should be directed to the respective people.

ALWAYS check the md5 hash for the files you are downloading to make sure you don't have corrupted files. This is a great windows utility to do that: HashCheck Shell Extension

On with the guide:
1) Download a CWM 3.0.1.0 sdcard image from this thread (credit: to cmstlist and DizzyDen). You really only need the 1gb image for this guide, no matter what the size of your card is. A smaller image will burn faster, and when you're done with the guide you can reformat the card anyway.
2) Extract the clockworkmod .img and burn to sdcard using winimage or win32diskimager. While that's burning:
3) Download the latest CM7 nightly (or if you prefer the latest Final or RC for stability) from CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution
4) Download the latest gapps (needed for market/google services) from Downloading GApps...
5) Download ClockworkMod 3.0.1.0 flashable .zip from here (credit: MrMuffin) MD5: d7a550d683e54732bcb55eff24ada704
6) (Optional) Download dalingrin's OC kernel from Index of /dalingrin/kernels. You are looking for the latest date and then "update-CM7-dalingrin-OC-emmc-DATE.zip. (credit: dalingrin, info about the kernel and his kernel thread is here)
7) Once your sdcard is done, copy all those files to the sdcard
8) Power off your nook. Put the sdcard in, and power on, the nook will boot from sdcard into clockworkmod
9) Navigate in CWM using the vol up/down keys, N button to accept, power button to go back. Navigate to mounts/storage, and format SYSTEM, DATA, CACHE
10) Go back and navigate to Install .zip from sdcard/Choose .zip
11) Flash the files in this order:
1. cm7 image
2. gapps
3. (optional) dalingrin kernel
4. clockworkmod .zip​
12) Go back to the main menu, remove the sdcard
13) Format the sdcard in your computer as fat (or use another sdcard) and put it back in the nook and then press reboot system. (CM7 requires the use of an sdcard for storage - thanks pmilford for the tip)

DONE!

Epilogue:
1. Now you can format the sdcard to use as a storage card in your nook.
2. To boot into clockworkmod in the future (in order to update to a newer cm7 build/new kernel or make backups) you can use the option in rom manager to "reboot to recovery" or, power off the nook, then hold power and N together for about 8 seconds, release power then release N.
3. If you opt to use the OC Kernel, you will need to reflash that file each time you update CM7.
4. If you want to *gasp* restore to stock, follow samuelhalff's instructions in this thread - look under "Files to restore NC to stock (1):"

I will try to maintain this guide with new information when needed. If anyone has any comments/suggestions feel free to PM me.

For additional help or just Nook Color related chat join us in #nookcolor on Freenode IRC. (if you have no idea what IRC is click here)

PS: This post/guide was brought to my attention, I didn't know it existed and it's buried in the CM7 thread, but it does include further instructions for updating nightlies and returning to stock. Credit: faceman66

Other things to do:
Install dalingrin's overclocked (1.1Ghz) Kernel
Install my CM7 boot animation

[youtube]8DZTLLGmyBk[/youtube]

Last edited:

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, does installing CM7 wipe out the restore to stock function reached through the button interrupts? Basically, if something gets borked, can you reset manually, or do you have to do a backup through CWR?

Kazy

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried, but if you still have the stock recovery it should stay. You have to clear /data/ yourself though I think.

If all else fails, there are bootable Clockwork SD cards you can make and ZIP files that can restore everything back to stock on your nook.

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Install was a breeze, was a little worried when the screen didn't want to turn back on at first, but then it popped right back up. The odd thing now is, it won't connect to my router. Had no problems with that before CM7. It will tether to my Droid X no problem, but even after putting in the password for my router, it just tells me it's remembered, and refuses to connect. I've even rebooted the Nook, and same thing. Router is obviously working, sending this message through a netbook connected wirelessly to it, and was playing Black Ops on Xbox 360 while downloading the CM nightly. Will reboot router and see if problem persists.

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... apparently I'm not the only one with these issues...

CM7 Wi-Fi Encryption issues - xda-developers

Unfortunately, while I can follow directions incredibly well, I'm not so good with commands and such on my own. Anyone have any ideas, or are they able to list out the exact ADB commands to push the wifi folder like this guy is talking about?

Kazy

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... apparently I'm not the only one with these issues...

CM7 Wi-Fi Encryption issues - xda-developers

Unfortunately, while I can follow directions incredibly well, I'm not so good with commands and such on my own. Anyone have any ideas, or are they able to list out the exact ADB commands to push the wifi folder like this guy is talking about?

What brand of router are you using? From reading up on the issue it seems like it results in routers broadcasting in mixed mode instead of "pure" g/n/whatever.

DO NOT UPDATE TO NIGHTLY 6. The wimax addition is causing problems for the Nook Build. Should be fixed in tonight's though.

Speaking of, according to this post by dalingrin, be prepared to have to wipe /data/ with nightly number #7. So I recommend backing up your stuff with Titanium backup. User data only, no system data.

Kage87Z

Dec 20, 2009
Visit site
I don't see "user data" as an option in batch.

I see user apps... user apps+system data... but no plain user data.

Am I looking in the wrong place?

crazace

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Might be a stupid question but does the stock launcher stay on the nook like autonooter or is this more like nookiefroyo?

xnewethicx

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Might be a stupid question but does the stock launcher stay on the nook like autonooter or is this more like nookiefroyo?

There are no stupid questions :)

This is a complete replacement of software, so it's more like Nookie Froyo, in that it is turning your Nook into a full on Android tablet rather than a lowly eReader. You can still run the Nook app from the Market, but the stock B&N dock with the library and all will be removed.

Reactions: crazace

pceasar

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
how stable is CM

How stable is cyanogyen mod so far for the nook? What works what doesnt work.

And btw where's Will Shakin

Kazy

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems pretty stable aside from "My Apps" in market being somewhat buggy and maps 5.1 FCing at start. There's also the lack of video codecs, you'll need to use Rockplayer or something that has software decoding for videos, which incurs sync issues. I've had it as my daily driver for a while and I haven't missed anything that Stock would have provided me.

julesR

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sorry for asking the obvious, but just in case, are you using the buttons? Up/down=scroll n=select power=back screen

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

mcapiro

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question. So far, the CM7 v8 rom has been great but I just noticed they released v11. Can I just flash over the existing (upgrade) or do I go through the entire process again. I just want to avoid having to set everything up again.

Thanks

red.drako

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
My question is, on the CyanogenMod Mirror Network - which one is the Nook Color's? Is it the z71? All the others are phones I recognize is why I ask.