[HOW-TO] Install Official CM7 Release (Gingerbread) to Internal Memory (eMMC)

robt1

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick question. So far, the CM7 v8 rom has been great but I just noticed they released v11. Can I just flash over the existing (upgrade) or do I go through the entire process again. I just want to avoid having to set everything up again.

Thanks

Yes, in this situation you can. There were some issues that required some people to wipe and completely start over when moving to v7 from previous versions, but you can move from v8 to v11 by just flashing over it. I did it this morning :)

dwightydog

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I followed all the steps and after removing the SD card to reboot, it just turns off and won't turn on. I followed all the steps of writing the CWR bootable SD, installing the latest CM7 nightly, Gapps, and 1.1 kernel, then I flashed everything on. I've tried multiple times, but every time at the last step where I remove the uSD and select 'reboot system now', it just turns off. I can't get it to turn back on unless I insert the uSD back in, and only into CWR at that point. Any suggestions to what I may be doing wrong?

red.drako

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
That happened to me too dwightydog (just got CM7 on here a few minutes ago). I held down the power button for 10 seconds then pressed it again normally if turning it on (without SD card) & it loaded right into the 2.3 setup screen.

jkeeler

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I followed all the steps and after removing the SD card to reboot, it just turns off and won't turn on. I followed all the steps of writing the CWR bootable SD, installing the latest CM7 nightly, Gapps, and 1.1 kernel, then I flashed everything on. I've tried multiple times, but every time at the last step where I remove the uSD and select 'reboot system now', it just turns off. I can't get it to turn back on unless I insert the uSD back in, and only into CWR at that point. Any suggestions to what I may be doing wrong?

100% same problem any ideas?

Kazy

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
1GB is default amount of space for apps, even on stock. The /data/ partition is usually around 1gb. The extra gb that the nook uses is in another partition, which up until a recent merge, couldn't be seen or mounted by CM7.

It should be back in n13, but I don't think apps will be able to install to it.

dcumbertop

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
With the latest updates to ROM Manager and CWR, I think they are both EXT3 and EXT4 compatible. Is my understand correct?

If that's the case, should I be able to copy the CM7 nightly (and associated files) directly onto my SD card and flash the ROM through CWR that way? My level of understanding in things like ADB and command lines is low/nonexistent, and I prefer the simpler route of flashing through CWR, which I'm familiar with thanks to my Droid X.

dcumbertop

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
People are facing issues with it, Do confirm once.

Actually, first I have to figure out why I can't make a backup in CWR. I forget what it was but something to do with the /system. I think I remember reading about it somewhere; now that I can boot into AND out of CWR (this is a big step) I'd actually like to make a backup on a separate SD so that if I get stuck or messed up again I don't have to start all the way back with stock 1.0.1 software.

dcumbertop

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
ROM manager isn't able to flash the right recovery kernel, you'll have to use the instructions from this thread:

[RECOVERY] Official CWM 3.0.1.0 Update - xda-developers

Hehe, thanks. Had it open in another window! A lot of it is over my head, truthfully. Some of it I'll need to learn, but some of it I just trust in what's written and my ability to read and understand instructions.

Just to confirm, it's the Mr Muffin update I need to flash? It came up in a number of posts but I want to make sure the OP reflects the most current information.

Reactions: jabberwock8197

Radamand

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I got the install done just right!

after rebooting i found the CM7 lock screen was a bit finicky, so I went into settings and enabled 'unlock on menu button' or whatever its called.
Now when I hit the nook 'n' menu button, the nook wakes up and I get the CM lock screen without any way to actually unlock!

I suppose I could reflash it again....

okay, I reflashed it...

Now, what do I use for a 'back' button??

Last edited:

SRR1138

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
My nook color will not turn on at all after installing the latest nightly. It seemed to install correctly and everything. But now nothing does nothing when I push the power button. I should have stayed with froyo I guess. Anything I can do?

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Actually, first I have to figure out why I can't make a backup in CWR. I forget what it was but something to do with the /system. I think I remember reading about it somewhere; now that I can boot into AND out of CWR (this is a big step) I'd actually like to make a backup on a separate SD so that if I get stuck or messed up again I don't have to start all the way back with stock 1.0.1 software.

If you want the back up on an SD, why not get a CWR image flashed on a SD card, boot to the card and perform a backup. I am not sure if the devs that maintain the bootable images have created one for version 3.0.0.6 or newer, but that version or newer is what is recommended.

Sent from my Gingerbreaded NookColor using Tapatalk...