FroYo vs. Honeycomb?

mrlingo

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Based on the current build of both versions of Android on the Nook Color, which version do you prefer, and why?

I'm currently using Honeycomb. I like the OS but it can be a big laggy. The marketplace also leaves me wanting more. Is there enough of a bigger marketplace with Froyo that one would be willing to give up the tablet optimized Honeycomb?

Thanks!

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I wish I knew how to use ADB. I dont, so even when I had gingerbread I couldnt push the Market on there. It wouldve been sweet if I could. Tried Froyo and that runs worse then Gingerbread for me. So Im just sticking with rooted stock.

rickpref

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I wish I knew how to use ADB. I dont, so even when I had gingerbread I couldnt push the Market on there. It wouldve been sweet if I could. Tried Froyo and that runs worse then Gingerbread for me. So Im just sticking with rooted stock.

Sticking with rooted stock is a big mistake. You can turn the NookColor into a full blown Android tablet right now.

If you already have it rooted in Froyo just go to Rom Manager and update to the latest recovery - 3.0.0.6 or use a Bootable SDCard Recovery of 3.0.0.6.

Afterwards you can download and flash the latest Cyanogenmod 7 nightly (currently V8) and Dalingrin's Kernel (Running great for me at 1.1GHz) and you're good to go.

There is also another Rom based of of CM7, Phiremod V4 which has everything you need for a daily driver. It's working incredibly well.

I got the Nook on Monday and am amazed at what the XDA guys have done. I didn't expect this thing to work as well as it has when I bought it and it is still far from complete.

Froyo is too old, I can't go back to that on my Evo or Nook and Honeycomb is definitely too slow for me, but CM7 or Phiremod V4 are working great right now...I don't see why anyone would use anything else until something new comes up.

techienana

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I have both running on SD cards and change them up depending on what I am doing and which apps I need to run.

I like Froyo because it is very much like what I am used to on my Android phone, I can use the same apps and I know my way around it. One of my favorite and most used apps, iSilo, works very well on this OS, but is not very functional on HC. The only downside for me is having to use soft keys to maneuver.

The biggest (and possibly the only) plus for me on HC is the ease of maneuvering due to the soft keys being placed in the notification bar.

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
What's the CM7 running? Froyo? Rooted stock is still 2.1

Sticking with rooted stock is a big mistake. You can turn the NookColor into a full blown Android tablet right now.

If you already have it rooted in Froyo just go to Rom Manager and update to the latest recovery - 3.0.0.6 or use a Bootable SDCard Recovery of 3.0.0.6.

Afterwards you can download and flash the latest Cyanogenmod 7 nightly (currently V8) and Dalingrin's Kernel (Running great for me at 1.1GHz) and you're good to go.

There is also another Rom based of of CM7, Phiremod V4 which has everything you need for a daily driver. It's working incredibly well.

I got the Nook on Monday and am amazed at what the XDA guys have done. I didn't expect this thing to work as well as it has when I bought it and it is still far from complete.

Froyo is too old, I can't go back to that on my Evo or Nook and Honeycomb is definitely too slow for me, but CM7 or Phiremod V4 are working great right now...I don't see why anyone would use anything else until something new comes up.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
CM7 is Gingerbread, 2.3.2.

I'm running nightly v8.

While I agree that CM7 on the NookColor is a GREAT option I would caution folks that really want something stable.

There are a few known issues with the market, video playback (youtube etc) and a few other things.

they are making great progress but it's considered a nightly build for a reason.

Personally, Froyo is too old and Honeycomb is not stable enough so CM7 is the best for me.

evertec

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site

Why do you say that rooted stock is a big mistake? My nook color is still a full blown android tablet even running rooted stock. I've tried honeycomb and froyo and neither are polished enough for me on the nook color to use as a daily os. Honeycomb is slow and buggy, and froyo doesn't have the bottom taskbar like the stock os that I prefer, also, neither have the default BN apps, and if you use the BN ecosystem at all for books, they are far better than the current choices on froyo or honeycomb. All the apps I want work on rooted stock, it's fast and stable. The only thing that might make me switch is if honecomb gets more polished.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The great part about Andorid are the choices.

I tend to agree that even though I'm all about the custom ROMs, stock nook w/ root is very nice. Surprisingly nice actually. If there weren't other options that offered more of what i'm interested in I could have easily stayed with rooted stock and been happy.

stick2e

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Will stock rooted NC run apps like if you was in your phone? Lets say, Facebook, YouTube, dolphin browser ect

I want to buy one but I want to read and know a little more to.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

rickpref

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Why do you say that rooted stock is a big mistake? My nook color is still a full blown android tablet even running rooted stock. I've tried honeycomb and froyo and neither are polished enough for me on the nook color to use as a daily os. Honeycomb is slow and buggy, and froyo doesn't have the bottom taskbar like the stock os that I prefer, also, neither have the default BN apps, and if you use the BN ecosystem at all for books, they are far better than the current choices on froyo or honeycomb. All the apps I want work on rooted stock, it's fast and stable. The only thing that might make me switch is if honecomb gets more polished.

You're right...maybe mistake is the wrong word. It's all opinion, but I bought this to use as a tablet more than a e-reader, so for me, I just wanted tablet functionality and Gingerbread with it's few glitches that it still has in CM7 is pretty impressive in terms of performance and usability. After using Gingerbread on my phone for a while already, I just can't go back to Froyo on the NC.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
You're right...maybe mistake is the wrong word. It's all opinion, but I bought this to use as a tablet more than a e-reader, so for me, I just wanted tablet functionality and Gingerbread with it's few glitches that it still has in CM7 is pretty impressive in terms of performance and usability. After using Gingerbread on my phone for a while already, I just can't go back to Froyo on the NC.

I agree CM7 is awesome from a performance perspective.
Still has some issues though, but they are being worked on...

I just love having something new to update every morning :D

mrlingo

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Switched from Honeycomb to Rooted Stock, HC was just to buggy and slow for normal use. Im actually enjoying Rooted Stock quite a bit and my wife definitely prefers the stock UI and it runs everything i want it to, especially when paied up with the Zeam launcher.

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Where is the gingerbread file located? The only sticky's i see are for froyo and honeycomb, and only honeycomb has the ROM flash...

So far i'm not to impressed with honeycomb as it's missing several key factors i wanted for a tablet, calendar exchange sync, and a gallery for pics.

I've got froyo on my ally and know it works but i'd rather it be ROM not SD...is gingerbread a ROM file?

evertec

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Will stock rooted NC run apps like if you was in your phone? Lets say, Facebook, YouTube, dolphin browser ect

I want to buy one but I want to read and know a little more to.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Yes, rooted stock will run all those apps. There are a couple games such as words with friends that aren't optimized for the resolution yet but other than that everything works.

evertec

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Where is the gingerbread file located? The only sticky's i see are for froyo and honeycomb, and only honeycomb has the ROM flash...

So far i'm not to impressed with honeycomb as it's missing several key factors i wanted for a tablet, calendar exchange sync, and a gallery for pics.

I've got froyo on my ally and know it works but i'd rather it be ROM not SD...is gingerbread a ROM file?

Gingerbread is what CM7 uses, but as far as I know you have to install as a flash to main memory, it can't be installed to an sd card at this time.

artcwolf

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Gingerbread is what CM7 uses, but as far as I know you have to install as a flash to main memory, it can't be installed to an sd card at this time.

I don't mind flash to main memory, prefer it over SD. what is CM7? (i'm a tech but learning all the root stuff) and where can i get it? Would it be on xda?

mrlingo

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Yes, rooted stock will run all those apps. There are a couple games such as words with friends that aren't optimized for the resolution yet but other than that everything works.

Yep, that's kinda what I really wanted. Rooted Stock is super clean and feels native, but with access to the marketplace...and is extremely easy to install.

rickpref

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't mind flash to main memory, prefer it over SD. what is CM7? (i'm a tech but learning all the root stuff) and where can i get it? Would it be on xda?

The full name is Cyanogenmod....you can go to there website to learn more about it. In terms of the NookColor, right now they are updating almost every night. THe latest "Nightlies" are located here: CyanogenMod Mirror Network - Powered by TDRevolution

Look in XDA for User CM7 developement. On the second page of the post there are instructions on what to do

dajo#AC

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I also tried Froyo and HC, but settled on rooted stock for the time being. The only issue I am having is getting my google contacts loaded for SMS and GMail. I installed Google Voice, got a google phone # and can now send/receive text msgs by typing in phone #'s, but for the life of me, cannot get contacts to work. I imported a vcard file and it seemed to go well, but still no contacts?
Anybody got contacts to work on the rooted NC?