Nook B&N registration necessary?

aviduser

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the nc from eBay with the $50 off deal. I have been reading about how to root, what rom to install, etc. One question: do I have to register the device with B&N? I will not be using the NC as a nook reader at all. I have a kindle which I love, and I have the android kindle app on my nexus one. All I want is an android tablet.

So do I have to register with B&N or can I skip that step?

Thanks ... And I am sure I will have more dumb questions in the future. I have never rooted before, so we will see how that goes. At least I won't be bricking my phone if I mess it up!

aviduser

Last edited:

bjordan

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I've been running honeycomb off a SDcard (and Froyo some) since the night i bought my NC. I've never registered or booted into stock.

I think if you use autonooter to root stock you have to register first. I doubt you do to flash other ROMs but I might be wrong.

Paladin

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I ordered the nc from eBay with the $50 off deal. I have been reading about how to root, what rom to install, etc. One question: do I have to register the device with B&N? I will not be using the NC as a nook reader at all. I have a kindle which I love, and I have the android kindle app on my nexus one. All I want is an android tablet.

So do I have to register with B&N or can I skip that step?

Thanks ... And I am sure I will have more dumb questions in the future. I have never rooted before, so we will see how that goes. At least I won't be bridling my phone if I mess it up!

aviduser

I am just rooted stock. As far as I know you don't have to register it with BaN at all, you can just use the market. You simply will not have access to their library.

As a matter of fact you have to select a settings option just to get it to re-run the registration process.

I did register mine in case I want any magazines or newspapers, I get books elsewhere, but that is the only reason. It is just nice having the Library work if I want it. You don't have to buy anything.

Last edited:

Biffer

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
If you install a custom ROM, then I would suggest NOT registering the device (or de-registering before installing the custom ROM). Registering has the potential to screw things up if you need to return to stock (or rooted stock).

If you keep some variation of the stock ROM, there have been some reports of spontaneous factory resets if the device isn't registered. If you search the forums, you should see some of these reports. Since I ran stock for only a short period, I did not follow the issue too closely. Some have speculated that it is DRM-related. If BN sees an unregistered device running stock, they could be exploiting protected IP and BN forces the device to reset. I have no idea if this is the case or not, so take it with a grain of salt and search here and at XDA if you plan to run unregistered stock or rooted stock.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc