Lotus Notes Traveler - anyone?

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Currently running a rooted 1.1. Lotus Notes Traveler is required to access my work email/calendar. It basically allows remote wipes, and enforces security to access the device.

No problem installing the APK (and I am afraid I'm forced to use crappy standalone email and calendar apps), but it wants to set the security required parameters (via a button press in its setup), and doesn't seem to be able to do it. It is compatible with Android 2.1+

Anyone have any ideas?

This alone may make me drop some $$$ on an iPad 2. I'd rather spend the $199 I did on this device, but the iPad works, and even integrates into the existing mail and calendar apps.

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Ah geez - not a single technically capable person is being forced to use the abomination called Lotus Notes on a Nook Color?? I'm going to have to order my IPad next week, aren't I?

thp

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
We have hundreds of folks using Traveler for Notes where I work (300+ to be exact), and I'd hardly call it an abomination. It works well for our Android and iPad users, but I too am having trouble using it for my Nook Color with Honeycomb, but it is pre-release software we're talking about on an unsupported and rooted device. This is hardly the kind of thing that IBM test in their lab:) Still, if you wanna buy an iPad, don't let me stop ya...

I only spent an hour or so with it, and I'm thinking my issue is with the necessary root SSL certificates not being installed with honeycomb. I plan to play around with it more once I get to the office. I'd go back to Froyo, but I can't stand how that functions on my NC. I'll take the lumps with the pre-release honeycomb just to avoid going back.

SGOT

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about mail, but on my PC laptop I use awesync which will sync your
calendar to/from google. I use PocketInformant as my cal/todo manager.
(which will sync to google as well).

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Broke down an ordered an iPad2 today. That means a month to find someone who can get Notes Traveler working on my rooted 2.1 Nook Color, or else it may be going on Craigslist.

Again, the application wants to set required security paramaters to force passwords and enable remote wipe. Obviously this isn't playing nice with a rooted device. Although maybe I'm asking for a lot for this to work on a rooted device....

psybertech

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I am running Notes Traveler on my Nook, but I am running Nookie Froyo from the eMMC. It works great here.

I installed it by first running the Notes Installer apk and then the traveler apk as I was instructed.
It too asked to set permissions as you describe. I was a little leery that it said it was asking permissions which included wiping the device or factory resets (I forget the actual verbiage) but I agreed and it just worked I guess.
I set up the server and user info and that is that. Traveler is up and running as expected with no hiccups.

Just curious, did you get an installer apk along with the Traveler apk? The installer apk, to the best of my knowledge, is your company's customized settings and is required to be installed prior to installing the actual Traveler client apk.

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I had to install an apk provided by my it department. This apk seemed to install multiple apps. As I indicated on my screenshot above, trying to run either the calendar or email app brings up a screen to set the security that I assume my it department requires.

Let me go back and revisit the install Instructions provided.

I would consider a froyo version, it just seemed like it continues to evolve with multiple builds to select from, and I would lose the nook functionality.

Thanks for giving me hope!

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Went back and confirmed, and yes, I installed a "lotusinstaller.apk" that was provided by my IT department, not directly from IBM. During installation I had to provide information regarding my server, ID, PW, etc.

I ended up with 4 icons/applications: Lotus Calendar, Installer, Mail, and Traveler. The installer is for installing/uninstalling and updating. Traveler displays the status of my connection to the Traveler server. Mail and Calendar are the apps I need/want. Upon launching them I get the screen as shown in my first post - and that's where things fail.

driptah

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Security Settings/Traveler with Android 2.1.x

I'm the de facto admin for our organization's Traveler instance, and I forced the security settings to all our users yesterday.

The downside: the only user with an Android device running 2.1.x (all others are 2.2 or higher) has the same security issue you're seeing.

I believe that there is a compatibility issue between the droid 2.1.x and Notes Traveler's security feature, and that issue seems to've been resolved in later firmware versions.

You could contact your Traveler admin and ask them to remove the security restriction until you're on a newer firmware....

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd love to try Froyo running of my SD card to see if that would make it work, but admit I'm overwhelmed regarding which version to use - I just jumped into all the various forums again yesterday to figure this out, and came away convinced it's not going to happen. Maybe after B&N updates to Froyo and a rooter is available next month. And then there is the issue of getting the market/mail/calendar installed, which also is far from clearcut.

cz9h3d

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
Okay...all is working. I'm running everything off a fast SD card, but traveler email and calendar are not overly responsive. The syncing over WiFi is not the speediest either. There is a lot of waiting going on, making it far from desirable.

The calendar is rather basic, obviously designed for a small phone screen. The agenda view seems to be the most useful on the Nook.

I'll try traveler out on my soon to arrive iPad2, which I believe is a much better experience. Note sure what I'll do with my NC then. I'll wait and see, especially with an official 2.2 coming from B&N this month.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon