New NookColor won't update to 1.1.0

mrdunn

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Following the directions on the nook website, I copied the file sideload_update.zip to the root directory, and nothing happened after 2 hours, still 1.0.0. On phone with technical support several times, repeated above many times, reset to factory, etc, still 1.0.0, once got a notification that update successful, but said updated to 1.0.0. Any suggestions, or is there a another file that would work? Thanks for any help.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Make sure the file sideload_update.zip is all lower case. When I downloaded it it was Sideload_update.zip and it wouldn't update for me either. Changed the S to lowercase put it to sleep and within 2 minutes the update screen started. Hope that helps.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Also, sometimes the suffix is hidden in Windows so what appears as "sideload_update.zip" is actually "sideload_update.zip.zip"

mrdunn

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Tried all of above, even repeated the 8Xreboot and factory reset, and the ADE (didn't autoreset) and still no update. Thanks for all the tips- could my unit be defective?

adcjunkman

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Guess I am not sure if you are rooted and trying to get the latest firmware...but if you are rooted then you can get updated to a pre-rooted firmware 1.1.0 here:

[ROM] Nook Color V1.1.0_r2 [01/29/2011] - xda-developers

You need to install Clockwork Recovery, but it is free in the Market and easy to install...just follow the directions here:

(How To) Installing/Using ClockworkMod, Rom manager, nandroid backup, custom kernels

If you are not rooted, then I am afriad I can't help....I had an un-rooted Nook Color for all of about 30 min and don't know much about getting things to work on the stock device.

Incidentally, if you are planning on running the rooted stock Eclair you should look into blocking future B&N updates. Once they release a new update you machine will automatically download and apply the new software, effectively un-rooting your device. There are rumors that the next version of the B&N software will be Froyo and is coming within the next month or so. Until the dev community roots the new OS, it would be a good idea block it from auto-installing. Blocking the updates requires a little know-how, but the method can be found here:

[ROOKIE][DEV][HOWTO] Permenant BN-OTA Update Block - xda-developers

You can post questions there if you need help...people are usually happy to lend a hand.

Cheers.

P.S.
I found a way to get to straight un-rooted 1.1.0...no rooting or installing anything on your current device. Directions are here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=945838

From there, you can use the newest auto-nooter to root, if that is what you are trying to accomplish:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=942424

Cheers.....

Last edited:

swoozle

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
My son was trying to update his and had problems as well. He downloaded the file from B&N twice and both times it deleted the file right off the nook. Finally he downloaded it from another site and it worked. I'll have to admit, I did not check the capitalization.

mrdunn

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site

lancelot916

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I have tried the uncorrupted file yesterday and it still didn't take. I wrote a new thread that I believe will address this issue that many people have experienced but who have never found an answer:

See the "How to Return Your Nook Color to 1.1.0 and Re-root" thread I just posted

sharkynolike

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Had the exact same issue

I had this same issue earlier in the week and it drove me crazy... It doesn't make a lot of sense but the following finally worked for me.

Go to the Barnes and Noble site from within the Nook itself, download the update file. Using Astro or Root Explorer, copy the file to the root folder of the nook. Then, put the nook to sleep or wait for a few minutes for it to sleep by itself... The update should start within a few minutes (it was less than a minute for me).

Hope this helps. Again, not sure why this would work and all the other methods wouldn't.

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem with mine, I finally tried a different PC and got it to load... I started on a Windows 7, got it to work with Windows XP... even then it didn't go first try tho...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance