EVO power-user, finally getting NC! Some Q's..

azumak

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Hey hey Nook Color forum, I'll finally be picking one up in a few days, and I have some questions. I've rooted and have been using custom ROMs (mostly CM) since day 1 with my EVO, and I have a fairly good idea of what I want to do with my NC, but there's some things I could use some NC Veterans' help with!

First of all, should I expect it to have Froyo installed out of the box? As I understand, NC was given a more-capable Froyo update in January.

The custom ROM guides I've been reading are superb, but I'm still not clear on if I need to obtain root, and flash CWR on stock Froyo first, or if I should just go ahead and start a custom ROM installation right out of the box? I'd like to obtain permanent root on it, but if the ROMs I want to try are rooted already, that's good enough for me.

Speaking of custom ROMs, the two I will be trying are Honeycomb and Cyanogenmod nightlies. I understand that bluetooth is working in CM, and that's a huge point for me. More specifically, Wii remote connectivity. Does Honeycomb have BT support at all? I don't mind adding it later if it's a possibility, I just couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I think that's everything I can think of right now... I don't think I'll have a problem at all with the ROM installation process, but we'll see! I'll be using my Supersonic's stock 8gb class 2, so I'll be doinge eMMC installations. Can't wait to start hacking this device apart!

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
The Froyo update hasn't occurred yet, so it comes with Eclair. There hasn't been any update on when the new software will be released, but probably it will be somewhat limited, so rooting will still be an improvement.

The Honeycomb ROM image I have seen is based on a preview version, but hopefully a new one will be available soon.

Reactions: azumak

azumak

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Aha, Eclair, gotchya. Had a quick interim with it during my Supersonic rooting. I don't play on staying stock any longer than I have to, I might even have a CM nightly ready to go on a microSD before I unbox the NC, lol.

Right right, I'll likely end up sticking with CM as I've used it by far the most. But I definitely want to see how Honeycomb performs on it for a while, and go back to it when there's a more complete version.

Oh, I did think of one other thing! The whole physical button re-assigning conundrum. As I understand it, the headphone button is Home, and I'm betting I'll want Back and Menu mapped to the volume keys. I only ever use Search for long-press voice search, and I believe the NC has no microphone, correct? Seems pretty easy, but how will I deal with possibly needing the Menu key before I apply the fix?

thecarline

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site
I think if you root with autonooter it comes with Softkeys. If you click on the application and give it root access that will then provide you the ability to have a menu key whenever you need it. It will be a little round arrow on the screen, you click on it when you are in a program and ta'da the android keys appear on the screen. Its nice, but definitely not a physical button replacement.

Reactions: azumak

azumak

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I think if you root with autonooter it comes with Softkeys. If you click on the application and give it root access that will then provide you the ability to have a menu key whenever you need it. It will be a little round arrow on the screen, you click on it when you are in a program and ta'da the android keys appear on the screen. Its nice, but definitely not a physical button replacement.

!!
Ooh, that's an excellent idea, thank you! I think I actually saw that in a video, but didn't know what it was. It reminded me of the Task Manager-like apps I played with a bit when I first got the Supersonic. I would like to keep the volume keys, but I was planning on using the AudioManager widget. Thanks for the idea! I'm sure it'll be useful. :3