Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Business Gingersense 3.0

Default Pros/ cons to HoneyComb on Nook Color

I installed FROYO on my nook about a month or two ago. I have been contemplating moving up to honeycomb. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the major advantages and or disadvantages to doing this would be. I am not incredibly skilled with command line directions so ease of upgrade is a big concern for me. If it is a very hard thing to do, I think I will just stay put as I am quite satisfied with FROYO. Thanks for the insight,

It's not particularly difficult to upgrade.

I think there's more utility in Honeycomb if you can mess around with the command line, but it works just fine even if you don't Root it.

The biggest advantage is the newer OS. It feels like it was built for Tablets, whereas Froyo feels a lot more like my Android phone.

Getting all the apps to work consistently on Honeycomb is something of an issue. What worked in Froyo doesn't always work fine in HC, and the HC release we have to work with is not the newest/best version. It depends on what you want to work on HC, what your app needs are.

In the end, if it's not stock/Rooted, I like HC better because it is a Tablet OS, and I feel like the UI stuff hides more of the Nook's limitations than Froyo does... but Froyo is still solid, and until they release newer source code for HC, you might be happier on Froyo.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Business Gingersense 3.0

Exactly the kind of honest answer i was looking for. I think i will stay put for now and see if app stability improves with hc. Froyo works as well as i need but always looking for the latest and greatest. Thx again

I have to give a quick plug for Cyanogen Mod 7 (gingerbread based). It has many of the user interface improvements of HC along with the flash and app compatibility of Froyo. If you are comfortable flashing different OS versions, then it is worth a look.

Based on the latest Google announcement I suspect that the HC source will never be released which greatly reduces the probability of updates for the NC. As far as Froyo goes, B&N has stated an update with Flash support is coming in April. My guess is this is a Froyo based update. Once that appears, and is rooted, I suspect I will stay with that until the Ice Cream version(s) that supports both tablets and phones appears.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    596 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

+1 to CM7. I had been using HC on eMMc for weeks and while HC is GOING TO BE an awesome tablet OS, the current SDK build is just that, it is incomplete. I enjoyed HC and I have tons of respect for deeper blue for putting it together, but it just isn't ready for prime time. It has too many incompatable apps and no flash. But by all means, try HC just to see the potential.

Hope this helped.

I have run stock, rooted stock, HC, Froyo and CM7. While I like HC, I agree with the above comments. I have two Nooks and elected to keep stock on both and run Froyo on one and CM7 on the other, both from SD cards. One of the only two apps that I have ever purchased and use daily doesn't work properly on HC at all and works better on Froyo than CM7, so the Nook running that app gets Froyo. I don't mind Froyo feeling like my Android phone, since I am very familiar with it and happy with the way it works, but I love the status bar 'back' and 'menu' softkeys and the nearer-to-a-tablet feel of CM7. All in all, I think you made a good decision to stick with Froyo for now, but if you ever get brave enough to try CM7, the process has been truly simplified and easy enough to run using an SD card. Expect some apps not to respond appropriately.

I've run Froyo, CM7, and HC on mine, and I'm sticking with Honeycomb because I really like the UI and enjoy the challenge of getting the apps to work. If you want a stable device with no fuss, Froyo is probably best, closely followed by CM7.

Sent from my HoneyNook using Tapatalk

I've flashed CM7 on my NC after trying out rooted Stock, Froyo, and HC. I was never very happy with HC's application compatibility, and that was before Google's announcement of keeping the source close to chest. Now I believe it's a no-brainer to avoid HC.

As for CM7 vs Froyo, I don't know why people feel CM7 requires you to be brave. I suppose ClockworkMod Recovery isn't exactly the friendliest thing in the world to use, but considering its utility, I'm of the opinion that not learning and becoming comfortable with that app is more of a danger.

I tried HC and Froyo on SD cards and while they both worked, I found that running each off of the SD cards, even the class 10 I was using, caused sluggish performance. I liked both of them functionally speaking and HC looks really great.

I'm running rooted stock now and I can do everything I personally need to do. I have the market, can download apps and have the benefit of the B&N software interface for ebooks, which I mostly like. This set up works best for me.