1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Honeycomb Bugs & Issues

In the hopes that development of the SDK version of HC will pick up again, I thought it might be sensible to start a list of bugs and outstanding issues in the current HC v4 ROM (eMMC):

1. Market does not see all apps (not even HC apps like Flash 10.2)

2. Youtube doesn't work at all (tried the app, tried enabling/disabling HQ, tried with the app uninstalled and playing video through the browser ... nothing works)

3. Screen sensitivity around the edges is bad

4. No flash (tried the HC release, the preview and froyo flash ... none work)

5. Not all apps work under HC (many just forceclose, eg Angry Birds Rio, IMDB, )

6. Wifi - just inconsistent sometimes. You pick it up, wifi was working fine before it went to sleep, shows connected but nothing. Turning wifi on/off/on sometime helps - otherwise, a cold boot, plus turning wifi on/off/on fixes it. I also noticed that when it has issues, the wifi will sometimes see every wifi in range BUT the ones that it has settings saved for. (FYI - also tried the various Wifi sleep policies to see if they can fix this without success)

7. The recent apps menu button doesn't scroll

8. Email app has a memory leak (making the nook really sluggish until you kill the 80MB+ process)
    Last edited by coolVariable; 04-13-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

This is kind of pointless seeing as the AOSP is the only real way the major issues will be fixed... and that code may or may not be released... here is to hoping

Not at all is this pointless. Had I seen this to begin with I would have went Froyo possibly Gingerbread instead due to app compatibilities.

But as stated let's hope google releases the code!

Posted by HTC EVO - Tapatalk Pro
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Would have been nice to see others contribute ... or did I really nail ALL bugs in HC?

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

I was running HC for about a month and i really liked it except for the fact that it was incomplete, now I am running CM7 and compatibility isn't an issue.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by junglejunkie View Post
    I was running HC for about a month and i really liked it except for the fact that it was incomplete, now I am running CM7 and compatibility isn't an issue.
    But CM7 has the battery drain issue if I am not mistaken ... plus the controls are not ideal for a tablet without buttons?

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

The market issue can be fixed by changing the build value in the build.prop file. I don't have the site link handy that describes what you need to do...sorry.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
    The market issue can be fixed by changing the build value in the build.prop file. I don't have the site link handy that describes what you need to do...sorry.
    That does not fix the real market issue - that only fixes the problem that some people can't see or download ANY apps.

Plus downvote for posting a "solution" with no link or reference.

Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by coolVariable View Post
    1. Market does not see all apps (not even HC apps like Flash 10.2)
    That does not fix the real market issue - that only fixes the problem that some people can't see or download ANY apps.

Plus downvote for posting a "solution" with no link or reference.
    This is the issue you brought up. "The market does not see all apps." The info on updating your Build.prop is here. The solution to the other problem with the market not being able to download apps depends on if you are running on internal memory or on off the SD card.

Upvote

edit: Plus ASOP will give us a real fingerprint that will enable the market. Alternatively the Amazon App market works very well.

I don't own a Nook Color but I've been considering it to run HC on but from what I've seen in this forum the Gallary App doesn't work because it doesn't work in the SDK.

Thanks to the OP for posting this because I think It's a good idea to start a thread that list all the bugs with HC Nook in one place because most people don't have the time to read through every thread and find every bug. I just wish that somebody that does follow every thread would update it when things are fixed.

Global Posts
    546 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.2 Stock Rooted

But CM7 has the battery drain issue if I am not mistaken ... plus the controls are not ideal for a tablet without buttons?
    CM7 is in RC4 status now, and it is VERY nice. It has 2 soft keys in the notification bar for menu and back. The battery life seems fine to me. It also has hardware acceleration. Worth checking out.

I would still be running HC if it weren't so buggy. I really enjoy the UI.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
    This is the issue you brought up. "The market does not see all apps." The info on updating your Build.prop is here. The solution to the other problem with the market not being able to download apps depends on if you are running on internal memory or on off the SD card.

Upvote

edit: Plus ASOP will give us a real fingerprint that will enable the market. Alternatively the Amazon App market works very well.
    This does NOT fix all market issues! I wish it would. The best example is Adobe Flash (which does not show up in the market).
    I just tried it again - it fixes the issue that NO apps show up but it does NOT enable ALL apps.
    Last edited by coolVariable; 04-02-2011 at 05:28 PM.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Quote Originally Posted by junglejunkie View Post
    CM7 is in RC4 status now, and it is VERY nice. It has 2 soft keys in the notification bar for menu and back. The battery life seems fine to me. It also has hardware acceleration. Worth checking out.

I would still be running HC if it weren't so buggy. I really enjoy the UI.
    I found CM7 RC4 (admittedly running from SD) to also lack resposniveness around the edges of the screen.
    Also did not care for the menu/back in the menu bar on top where there are response/touch issues.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Added the force closing of apps to the list on the first page ...
    If people let me know what other apps don't work, I will keep it updated.

(Sadly there seems to be no work on another SDK based HC built
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Updated for wifi bug.

For the battery drain issue, while I haven't played with CM7 (yet), I can say that with FroYo, I could leave the Nook sitting on my table, use it for about 10-15 minutes each day to check Facebook, and the battery would last for 2-3 weeks... And that's with Flow checking my Facebook every 5 minutes and K9 checking 3 e-mail accounts every 15 minutes.
    With "stock" Honeycomb and no persistent apps running, not using it at all, the battery will last 1.5 days. If I use it to read books, with the brightness almost all the way down, I'll be lucky to get 5-6 hours out of it.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Taegost View Post
    For the battery drain issue, while I haven't played with CM7 (yet), I can say that with FroYo, I could leave the Nook sitting on my table, use it for about 10-15 minutes each day to check Facebook, and the battery would last for 2-3 weeks... And that's with Flow checking my Facebook every 5 minutes and K9 checking 3 e-mail accounts every 15 minutes.
    With "stock" Honeycomb and no persistent apps running, not using it at all, the battery will last 1.5 days. If I use it to read books, with the brightness almost all the way down, I'll be lucky to get 5-6 hours out of it.
    CM7 nightly #38 uses approx 2% per hour with the screen off, wifi on, and exchange/gmail sync on

I may be wrong, but there is also some weirdness with the "all running apps" button on the notification bar (the "panel" button that shows you previews of your running apps). Using settings, I can stop apps, but they will still show up in that preview menu, and I can open them up as if they never were stopped).

PS- Go easy on me, I'm an Android nooby.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

I have to say that I like CM7, especially with all the tablet tweaks.
    But I really miss the HC browser. The "old" browser and also Opera just suck in comparison. The new GUI (especially the slide out menu) are just awesome.

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

so if i install CM7 will this activate the adobe flash and youtube issues??