1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Internet problems with nook color

I'm new here and this question may have already been asked and answered. If so please point me to the thread.
    My wife and I both have NC's. It will connect to our router but then says no internet connection. All four of our computers are running off the wireless router. It's driving me nuts. I can't do anything with the tablet without going into town and connecting to a hotspot. Has anyone else had this problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Jimmy

spike it on the floor, then bring me my holster.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

come get your own holster.
    Now maybe someone with a useful reply maybe.
    A Dude

Global Posts
    899 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyWiz / CM10

If you have a secure network try disabling the password to your router, tell your nook to "forget" that connection, reboot nook, find connection & see if you can connect then, without a password.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I will give that a try. thanks

My NOOK won't handle WPA2/AES encryption. I changed to WPA and it works just fine.

I had to change my router from WPA2/AES to WPA(2)/TKIP to get the initial setup to work. Tested later by going back to AES and lost my connection so I went back to TKIP and everything was OK. This will mean you will have to change all other devices you connect to your wireless to use TKIP also. Nook Color does not appear to support AES (or possibly only supports WPA and not WPA2).

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure I'm running WPA2/AES at home and have no problems with my NookColor there. I just checked the nook itself and it says the saved network is "WPA/WPA2 PSK", and I'm pretty sure I went to AES only on that. I'll double check tonight. I know for sure it is ONLY using WPA2, I dropped support for original WPA on my home net years ago when it was obvious it wasn't going to hold up to determined attacks.

For reference I have a Netgear WNR3500 Wireless N (2.4GHz) router. Soon going to be upgrading to a Dual Band Wireless N.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

One thought is to try changing what you are using for a pass-phrase with your wireless network. Try using something that is only letters (mix of upper and lower) and numbers and avoid special characters. I've seen some implementations of pass-phrase parsing that borked on special characters.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

Just want to report that I confirmed my network is running "WPA2-PSK [AES]" only. So yes the nook does support WPA2 AES.

I think the problem is that the Nook does not like the "N" network. If you haven't figured this out yet, I had to change my router to broadcast in "g" only to get it to work. I originally had my router broadcasting in "g" & "n", it would connect but no internet.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

Actually, I'm running WPA2 + AES + 2.4GHz N network. It's possible it's the 5GHz N network having trouble, but I won't be able to confirm or deny that until next week when my new wireless network router (a DualBand N) arrives.

So the nook does work with WPA2 and AES and Wireless N (at least the 2.4Ghz version). Unfortunately I don't know what is causing your individual issues. The following standard network tricks might help:

1. Try changing your pass phrase to only Letters (mix of upper and lower) and numbers, some routers/devices have problems parsing these into proper WEP/WPA/WPA2 keys.

2. Try lowering the MTU setting on your router to under 1450, that might fix internet issues

3. Try unplugging your router and leaving it unplugged for 1 minute. Do the same for the nook. Bring the router up then and wait for at least 3 minutes before turning the nook back on. Clearing our caches on both devices can sometimes help.

4. Drop from N to G/A to B wireless networks. It's always possible that your wireless router and your nook just aren't going to play nice even though they both claim to support the same standard. If this solves it I would recommend looking into a new router if you want the faster speeds.

There are usually other more advanced wireless settings you could try playing with (different thresholds and such), but that takes a lot of tinkering and with out seeing a router in front of me I can't describe what to try.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Caf View Post
    Actually, I'm running WPA2 + AES + 2.4GHz N network. It's possible it's the 5GHz N network having trouble, but I won't be able to confirm or deny that until next week when my new wireless network router (a DualBand N) arrives.
    I thought the NC was a 2.4 GHz only device? It works fine with my WNDR 3700 routers (dual band units) on the 2.4 HZ band. I do not use the NC in the 5GHz band since that is reserved for other devices.

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

Quote Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
    I thought the NC was a 2.4 GHz only device? It works fine with my WNDR 3700 routers (dual band units) on the 2.4 HZ band. I do not use the NC in the 5GHz band since that is reserved for other devices.
    Yep looks like you are right:

http://www.androidcentral.com/nookcolor-specs

It's a 2.4GHz only device. So that's two who have it running on N networks.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Caf View Post
    Yep looks like you are right:

Nookcolor Specs | Android Central

It's a 2.4GHz only device. So that's two who have it running on N networks.
    I did some more tests with a Router in our lab after I saw your notes.

D-Link GamerLounge DGL-4500:

Color Nook works with any combination of: WPA2 only; WPA or WPA2; TKIP only; AES only; TKIP or AES; 802.11 b,g,n; 802.11 g,n; 802.11 n (2.4 GHz mode)

Color Nook does not work with: 802.11 n (in 5 GHz only mode)
    However at home with my old Belkin 802.11 g Router I have not been able to get AES to work and I have to use TKIP.

Seems like the Color Nook may not be compatible with some older routers versions of AES, but it does work fine on the 2.4 GHz band of 802.11 n

Global Posts
    227 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

It's possible that the Belkin is one of those routers released before the g standard was finally ratified and is missing something from the final ratification that affects the Nooks ability to connect to it. I know there were some routers released between Jan-June that were basically pre-g routers. Is the belkin running the latest firmware? Otherwise, might just be bad luck on the older belkin...

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts

I've experienced quite often with various devices where the pass phrase won't work but if I enter the actual key it connects.

ROM
    CM7 and Dalingrin's OC

Quote Originally Posted by bigjimmy57 View Post
    I'm new here and this question may have already been asked and answered. If so please point me to the thread.
    My wife and I both have NC's. It will connect to our router but then says no internet connection. All four of our computers are running off the wireless router. It's driving me nuts. I can't do anything with the tablet without going into town and connecting to a hotspot. Has anyone else had this problem. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Jimmy
    Jimmy,

- Is your nook rooted and if so, which program did you use?
    - Are you using a ROM? (Froyo, Honeycomb, Gingerbread)
    - Are you using an Overclock mod? (Dalingrin)

I'm not sure if you are running stock or not - I connect to multiple wireless networks without a problem with my NC running CM7 and Dalingrin's OC kernel
    Last edited by Hektu; 04-05-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: bad info