How to pick your Nook Color operating system

coolVariable

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Quinxy von Besiex has a great post on his blog about the early decisions to make when modifying the Nook Color.

How to Pick your Nook Color Operating System and Install Options | The Misadventures of Quinxy von Besiex

His topics include:
Rooting vs. New Install
eMMC vs. SD
Froyo vs. Gingerbread vs. Honeycomb
Installers and Keeping your install up to date

Ok article, though he obviously is a noob in some areas.
1. his suggestion to leave stock B&N on the emmc is BS, if you run ROMs, you should know how to restore.
2. Running from SD vs. emmc is like night and day. SD is slooooooooooooooooow.

gbeardmore

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I am trying to decide which rom at this point as well.

I've had my Nook for about 4 weeks now and have tried several flavors. I'd vote for CM7 with the 1100Mhz overclock. Phiremod is nice, but I'd rather have more control over what programs are installed. Honeycomb isn't finished enough for my tastes.

CM7 is great for me, and the Nook is amazing, especially when you consider the price of admission.

irid10t

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Nook for about 4 weeks now and have tried several flavors. I'd vote for CM7 with the 1100Mhz overclock. Phiremod is nice, but I'd rather have more control over what programs are installed. Honeycomb isn't finished enough for my tastes.

CM7 is great for me, and the Nook is amazing, especially when you consider the price of admission.

+100000

bugeyed

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
1. his suggestion to leave stock B&N on the emmc is BS, if you run ROMs, you should know how to restore.

"BS" is pretty harsh! Some have needs that only the stock B&N can address. The author is filling an important need for those less technical, but somewhat adventurous folk. He states that in his article.
On a similar note, I remember when those that were fluent in DOS hated it that Windows allowed "noobs" to actually be productive on the PC without knowing a single DOS command.
On a humorous note, we were at a Mexican restaurant & one of the developers, (Pakistani new in country) after looking at the menu, looked up & asked "What are "DOS Tacos"?" :D

Cheers,
kev

acab1025

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone find there's a good deal of input lag involved with cm7 even with the overclock kernel, in comparison with rooted stock? As great as cm7 is, in my experience, rooted stock was noticeably zippier for the month or so I used it. Though CM7 is an overall much more 'whole' OS.

Last edited:

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I prefer rooted stock. I bought the unit as a book reader and rooting gave me a more tablet experience as a bonus. Also, my unit is very reliable and almost everything works all the time. The only thing I am lacking is flash support which is supposed to appear soon.

gmmoon1218

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I also made my choice based on the ability to still use the NC as a reader , but to have periodicals automatically download and update. With some mods, the B&N store wont recognize it as a NC and the issues wont download. I went around Autonooter, Nookie Froyo, then CM7, then Honeycomb, and finally restored to stock and re-rooted with Autonooter. That's the mod for me. Don’t want a lifetime of swapping sdcards and booting !

bruceatk

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
"Obviously a noob". I disagree with you. Maybe you need to buy a better SD card. Can you backup your comments with some facts? Can you give some examples of the difference in timings that you have between the two?

I'm perfectly happy with everything on the SD card and I still have a perfectly stock Nook Color if I desire.

bruceatk

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
bruceatk, what SD card do you recommend for its speed and class?
I'm not really qualified to recommend any specific card. I can tell you what I use. I am using a Sandisk 16 Gig Class 4 that I got for $25.00. I have tried Honeycomb and Froyo and wasn't satisfied with either. On Fri. I put on Gingerbread with CM7 and overclocked to 1100mhz and it is working so much better. I have a Droid X and the Nook out performs it on every benchmark.

I think the best thing to do is just get a card and do some benchmarks on it. My card benchmarks better then a class 4 and benchmarks just shy of a class 6. I found CM7 on Gingerbread quite responsive before overclocking (compared to Froyo and Honeycomb) and with overclocking it is very snappy.

Don't worry about using an SD card. Remember that you are still using the Nook's memory to run in. The SD card is just used for storage, as long as it is a Class 4 or better the performance should be fine. Like I said my Nook with it's OS on a Class 4 SD card performs better then my Droid X.

Reactions: pr0t0

pr0t0

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Bruce, thanks for posting your experience! I've been really torn about which way I'm going to go with the NC. I've read everything I could find on the subject and really felt no-nearer a decision. This past Friday, I was sure I was going with Gingerbread on eMMC. Saturday I changed my mind and was thinking Honeycomb on eMMC.

Unfortunately, I just won't have the time to try different things out and see which I like so I'd really prefer to just do this once to get me started for now. Then maybe when El Goog releases HC I can put that on once the devs get done porting it to the NC.

After reading your last post, I think I'm back to Gingerbread but now on SD which gives me a little peace of mind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty