Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Default CM7 + Recovery Mode

I am installing CM7 via SD card. Got it installed and running but I cant seem to get the Nook to boot into recovery mode (holding N key and power) to install the 'gapps...zip' file to get the Market. I hold both keys and I just boot into normal CM7. Any suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by dajo View Post
    I am installing CM7 via SD card. Got it installed and running but I cant seem to get the Nook to boot into recovery mode (holding N key and power) to install the 'gapps...zip' file to get the Market. I hold both keys and I just boot into normal CM7. Any suggestion?
    Hi, I'm new to this stuff as well. I worked on mine today and am happy to report complete success. I had a lot of issues with the timing of this particular part of the process as well and eventually mine worked when I let go of the power button after a few seconds and then the N button a few seconds later. It just popped right into copy mode and I was good to go. It took me probably 15-20 tries before it eventually worked.

Carrier
    Business Gingersense 3.0

There is a vid on youtube that showed me how to do it. Worked like a charm.

Carrier
    Business Gingersense 3.0

After hitting power try holding n key and volume down.

Default All about timing...

I couldn;t get teh timing down right either...I was too timid with my steps. Then I saw this: Success!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I took a different approach. I started over and added the GAPPS zip file at the same time I installed CM7. Everything got extracted perfectly. Took me an extra 30 minutes but in the end, it was worth it. I remembered from the 1st install that CM7 extract program looked for GAPPS.zip

Mine never shows "Touch the future of reading"..just straight to the "Loading" screen so that I can't get into recovery mode.

My wife got a nook this weekend, but I wanted to be able to 'use' it also. Added CM7 to sdcard and it works, but I can't boot to recovery either. I don't see the "touch the future" message either. Just loading, then goes to small ANDROID prompt before the CM7 screen hits. Can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis_H View Post
    My wife got a nook this weekend, but I wanted to be able to 'use' it also. Added CM7 to sdcard and it works, but I can't boot to recovery either. I don't see the "touch the future" message either. Just loading, then goes to small ANDROID prompt before the CM7 screen hits. Can't figure it out. Anyone have any ideas?
    I have the same issue. I only get the "Loading..." screen. I never get the "touch the future of reading" screen. Anyone know why this happens and how to fix it? Thanks!

The timing of the dual presses is critical, but there are other ways to enter recovery, Once you are in CM7, when you press the power button to shut down a menu will pop up, giving you the opportunity to reboot. This will lead to a second menu which allows you to choose recovery.

Before deciding to install CM7 internally, I used j4mm3r's dual-boot menu to select between stock on the eMMC and CM7 on a SD card: [ADV] Boot menu for the Nook Color [2011-03-19] - xda-developers. This menu will also allow you to choose recovery.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis_H View Post
    I too have this issue... I can't seem to access Recovery using the buttons method. I don't see the "touch the future" message either. It just says "Loading..."

I also tried accessing from the Android desktop, then pressing power > reboot > recovery, but it boots normally to Android, not Recovery.

I'm trying now as dajo mentioned and doing the first install with both the CM7 and the GAPPS zip file to see if I can do both at the same time, and at least this way install the Google Apps.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

Anyone have any idea why we can't boot to recovery mode? I've tried dozens of times using the n+power key combo, without success... it just shows "Loading" then boots normally to CM7.

I also tried rebooting to recovery from CM7 power menu options, but it just boots normally.

Here is a video of that:

Any ideas?

I have the same issue, and I'm wondering if something went wrong with the installation process and now the recovery file is messed up. I am planning on uninstalling these steps to hopefully restore the stock recovery and start over from scratch. I'll let you know how it goes.

Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

I had to start over from scratch, this time using a nightly build (87), and now it works... check this response I got from xda.
    xda-developers - View Single Post - [ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards.
    Do you run u-boot derived from installer v1.2 or v1.2.1?
    (i.e. what was your original install image?)
    If your original install image was 1.3 and you used .29 based CM7, then the u-boot in v1.3 is not a general purpose one and is only suitable for initial install.
    Pick a u-boot.bin from a recent nightly or from v1.2.1 update zip file, put it on your first partition and the functionality will be back.

I had a similar issue trying to get the timing of those buttons right. I read this at XDA Developers and it works like a charm:

How to install market and gapps:

Alternatively if you do not want to fight the timing, boot normally into Android, then from desktop hold power key until a poweroff menu appears, In the poweroff menu choose "reboot", in the next menu choose "recovery" and press "OK". The nook would reboot straight into recovery.