1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sudden WI-FI issues with new NC update 1.2.0

I ran the 1.2 update for my Nook Color a few days ago and it suddenly won't connect to my Wi-FI (D-Link 625). It wreaked havoc on my home network because it kept hammering my router,which is denying it. Once I shut off the nook, all is restored.

I've tried everything. My ISP says my signal is fine from my modem, and my network tells me that's true as long as the nook is shut off.

I've gone inside my router to make sure all the settings were correct. It's simply denying service to the Nook. I don't know how to add the Nook Mac Address to the router. I'm more computer savy than most but simply can't find where to do that.

Does anyone know how I can add the Mac address for the Nook to my Wi-Fi Router??

This happened to me as well. What I did was restored the factory settings. This kept the update but wiped my drives clean of books I had downloaded. It fixed the jamming problem you mentioned and runs fine now. I had my books backed up on the computer so that was an easy restore.

Paul

PS....to do the factory reset just hold the "on" button and the home button at the same time. After a few seconds it will reboot and restore your settings.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I talked to NC support at length, after asking to speak with a supervisor in tech support. The first guy just kept telling me to call my ISP. My ISP is Brighthouse and they have nothing to do with my wireless router. The signal to the modem is good and that's where they stop. I looked in the logs on my router and it's denying access to the Nook, dropping TCP packets. I need to be able to add the Nook's MAC address to the router, but that's where my experience falls short. I WANT the new update, I don't want to revert it to 1.1 - but in the end that is what tech support told me to do. I would even buy a new router if I was sure it would fix this problem.

They did actually have me go into the router and change the security settings from WEP to various WAP settings but that didn't work. They suggested doing a Firmware update on my router, which is a DI-624, not 625 as I said earlier. Anyway - it's too old and D-LINK doesn't offer a firmware update.

I've been through everything, and not sure what to do next other than trying to buy a new router. Then I have to worry if the 2 laptops and 3 XBOX's in this house are going to play nice with a new router, and if it will even fix this problem.

ARGH. That's about all I have left to say. I wish I knew HOW to add a MAC address to my WI-FI router, but I dont.

Quote Originally Posted by snowdove View Post
    I ran the 1.2 update for my Nook Color a few days ago and it suddenly won't connect to my Wi-FI (D-Link 625). It wreaked havoc on my home network because it kept hammering my router,which is denying it. Once I shut off the nook, all is restored.

I've tried everything. My ISP says my signal is fine from my modem, and my network tells me that's true as long as the nook is shut off.

I've gone inside my router to make sure all the settings were correct. It's simply denying service to the Nook. I don't know how to add the Nook Mac Address to the router. I'm more computer savy than most but simply can't find where to do that.

Does anyone know how I can add the Mac address for the Nook to my Wi-Fi Router??
    Requesting a connection should have no effect on the functioning of your network. It sounds like you are having an ARP storm. Do you have any devices that have a fixed IP addresses (ex. printers, TVs, etc)? If so, verify that those device's address do not fit into the address space from which the DHCP server on your router provides addresses.

Also, you should not have to care about device MAC addresses.

If you do get a new router you should look into linksys. I just picked up a Cisco linksys wireless n router for 39.99 at Walmart. I started out with a Linksys many years ago and it was great. When wireless n came out I went with a cheap netgear then a d-link and always had to restart because one of my devices would not connect. I finally bought the Linksys again and have had zero problems for four months. Just my two cents tho.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah, I added the MAC address and it didn't work so I turned off MAC filters again.

I looked into my router's logs and the Nook was definitely hammering my router, which was denying it access. As soon as I shut off the NC, my network returned to normal.

Everything was fine on my network until I did the Nook update. Everything is fine again now that I shut off WIFI on the Nook.

I am about to bring it to a hotspot to see if it will connect somewhere else. If it doesn't, I will have to revert to 1.1 and will not get to enjoy the new update. I hesistate to buy a new router when I'm not sure that will take care of the problem. If I do buy a new router, at least I will have support from the router people, which at this time I do not. DLINK no longer supports the DI-624.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Here is what is in my router log, entry after entry after entry:

Apr/27/2011 11:20:56 Drop TCP packet from WAN xxx.xx.xx.xx:xxxx xxx.xxx.xx.xx:xxxxx Rule: Default deny

I replaced the numbers with x's but you get the idea.

What is an ARP storm? I have two laptops, two XBOX's and one wireless printer all connected to my WIFI with no issues.

Default Ummmm

I mentioned I had the same problem and offered a fix....did you try it?

Default This may relate to updated DHCP client/wpa supplicant

Hi --

Recently Slashdot picked up an article about the Princeton network having a lot of trouble with Android devices.

The Android DHCP and WPA implementation is winding up with devices getting an address reserved for X time and then holding that address past the expiration. Once that happens, the device still replies to ARP requests, but the DHCP server knows that the address should not be in use.

An option to try is (if you can) to make your DHCP leases never expire. Another is to permanently assign the IP that the Nook has picked up to its MAC address.

I hope the rooters are able to look at this and let us know if the old DHCP client and supplicant can work under 1.2.

For far more info:

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Paul - I am going to try that as a last resort but as I said, tech support told me that would totally revert my nook to 1.1 or 1.0, and I also don't want to have to DL all my books again.

I just tried it at a hotspot and it worked. It simply can't hook up at home.

Roustabout, a IT friend of mine suggested the exact same thing with permanently assigning IP address for the Nook, but I don't know how to find out the IP address that the nook is getting.

Also, I can't set DHCP to never expire, longest it lets lease is 1 week. I would have disable DHCP, which isn't what you are saying, right? Maybe the new routers let you do that but this one is old, and though it's worked over the years with every device I've tried to connect to it (and there have been many many many) maybe it has run it's course.

The error I get on the Nook is that it's trying to obtain the IP address for my network. I AM broadcasting SSID.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Also, it may be interesting to note that I already tried different security settings, changing from WEP to all the versions of WAP, and even set security to NONE for a quick test - and I still can't connect the NOOK to the WIFI, even when no security is set on it.

The nook can't read the IP address from my network - for whatever reason. There are no spaces in my SSID and I am broacasting. NC sees router, tries to connect and can't obtain IP address - and totally locks up my network in the process.

My nook is not rooted, btw.
    Last edited by snowdove; 04-27-2011 at 12:54 PM.

When I did the reboot it kept the 1.2 upgrade. It was a simple fix. I had the exact problem you had and now I don't.

i had a similar problem after updating to 1.2, where the NC kept trying but couldn't connect to my network...so i just turned it off then on again, and it's been connecting fine since
    Not quite a noob

ROM
    Synergy r64

One silly idea: did you try to delete your known network on your nook and then shut down your nook (completely, not standby) and restart your modem and router? After everything is online again, start the nook and try to connect to the network.

I Did the Power and Home button fix...........................yeah that did not work

I can not connect to register my nook after that damned reset, BUT I can get on line and get my email.

what the frack is going on?

Yeah i have reset everything from my Nook to the router and wireless

Quote Originally Posted by snowdove View Post
    Roustabout, a IT friend of mine suggested the exact same thing with permanently assigning IP address for the Nook, but I don't know how to find out the IP address that the nook is getting.
    Your router should allow you to set static DHCP leases, mapping a static IP address to the unique MAC address of your Nook or other device. DD-WRT definitely does. If you're running CM7 you can run Terminal Emulator and type "cat /sys/devices/virtual/net/tiwlan0/address" to get the MAC address. If you're able to connect to a router and login to its internal webserver it should list the MAC addresses of all devices connected to it.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Ok, guys I tried everything. Nook tech people couldn't help either - eventually when I called I got a message saying that they are having trouble with the new update. No, really? It says they are working on it.

I gave up and went a bought a new router. I was hesitant to do that because I didn't know for sure that would fix it - but we have a very busy online house and it was time anyway so I did it. IT WORKED!!!!

I bought a Linksys E3000 N Dual Access High Performance wireless router. It worked immediately with the laptops AND THE NOOK COLOR. With the XBOX's, I had to hardwire first and then could go wireless.

I did have a little trouble with the update to the firmware on the router after everything was up and running, but their live chat helped me through that.

So... if someone is bound and determined to get past this issue (it became a personal vendetta for me), you could try buying a new router.

After all that, not real impressed with the update and app store. LOL

snowdove, I just did the fix thirdson gave. It worked.

I still have 1.2 - in fact, yesterday I asked NC support how to get back to 1.1 and they told me it was not possible.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

The issue my wife is having with her NC is prior to the new Update we she had no probs connecting the the network which we also have a PC and 2 other android tablets connecting to. Since the update her NC connects to the network but kicks everything else off of the network. I have to disconnect her and restart everything for it to get everything back up. I have and Westell and have tried all the suggestions with it.

I have not tried the reset NC option as i have heard other on BN saying it did not work.

Are there other options to try- without having to buy another router or resetting the device?

Is this something that should be addressed in other firmware updates?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz3 View Post
    The issue my wife is having with her NC is prior to the new Update we she had no probs connecting the the network which we also have a PC and 2 other android tablets connecting to. Since the update her NC connects to the network but kicks everything else off of the network. I have to disconnect her and restart everything for it to get everything back up. I have and Westell and have tried all the suggestions with it.

I have not tried the reset NC option as i have heard other on BN saying it did not work.

Are there other options to try- without having to buy another router or resetting the device?

Is this something that should be addressed in other firmware updates?

I would power off every device and then add them back one by one. Start with the router and then power up each computer. Play with each device for a few minutes and make sure it works before you add the next device. That will help you determine when things fail. Also, I would verify that your Wifi router is running DHCP and not doing something crazy like fixed IP addresses or Mac addresses.

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerryk View Post
    I would power off every device and then add them back one by one. Start with the router and then power up each computer. Play with each device for a few minutes and make sure it works before you add the next device. That will help you determine when things fail. Also, I would verify that your Wifi router is running DHCP and not doing something crazy like fixed IP addresses or Mac addresses.
    thanks for the reply.....

Everything works until i add the NC. The NC will connect and work but kicks my two Android tablets off and PC off the network.

Not sure about the last thing you mentioned about DHCP. How do you do that?

It seems to be the NC that is causing the probs- how to resolve it?

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tonyz3 View Post
    thanks for the reply.....

Everything works until i add the NC. The NC will connect and work but kicks my two Android tablets off and PC off the network.

Not sure about the last thing you mentioned about DHCP. How do you do that?

It seems to be the NC that is causing the probs- how to resolve it?
    i am pretty sure i verified it is running DHCP