1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default auto reset at B&N

I was in a B&N store this afternoon and my rooted nook was automatically reset by B&N. I lost my root and all my data.

Has anyone experienced this?

Did it automatically update you to 1.2?

Quote Originally Posted by stevek28 View Post
    I was in a B&N store this afternoon and my rooted nook was automatically reset by B&N. I lost my root and all my data.

Yeah, a ton of people are experiencing their NCs being rebooted and wiped. Barnes and Noble says they are working on figuring out what happened. But for now we must just wait.

Yep, happend to me and I haven't been to a b&n in forever.this is bullcrap.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jeregano View Post
    Did it automatically update you to 1.2?
    No. I went home and manually updated to 1.2 myself. I thought, what the hell, I wait until someone(s) figures out how to root 1.2

It has nothing to do with going to B&N, that was just a coincidence for the OP. I've never been to a store with my Nook and it happened. And according to people on the B&N Nook forums it isn't just a 1.2 update issue, it is affecting all NCs.

came home to mine wiped too, i hadn't updated yet, wiped and at v 1.1 so i figured hey thanks for wiping it for me b&n now i'll update to 1.2

Global Posts
    43 Global Posts

I did the update yesterday afternoon and things were going swimmingly. This afternoon it went into the registration loop. Now, the thing's a brick.

Default BS!!

Yeah I have not been to BN since I bought the bloody thing and now my root is gone, all my stuff is gone (thank God for the back up on my laptop!)

NOW I can not connect to my home WiFi, the only thing changed is my Nook rebooted! What the FRACK!!! NEED HELP PLEASE!

What is going on here???

OH PS I can not re-register the Bloody Nook as well BUT I can get on the Internet through the browser!

OH BTW did the power and home fix.................did not work!
    Last edited by mdgarland11@gmail.com; 04-27-2011 at 07:25 PM.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Just re-registered.
    Now waiting to root 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by stevek28 View Post

Did you have the OTA blocked in the fota.mode?

Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    ROM
    No Idea

Quote Originally Posted by dparrothead1 View Post
    Did you have the OTA blocked in the fota.mode?
    What is the fota.mode and how do I do this?

Unhappy

Same thing here, wiped it and I have nothing...but it never updated. I was just sitting there reading a book and it rebooted & wiped everything- not at B&N either...

I actually tried to do the B&N 1.2 update...but it keeps crashing, so I assume there's a file out there that's causing problems?

I can't get my gmail working, every time I enter my email & pw it acts like it's working, then says "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server- This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call Customer Care." Has anyone else seen this?

If I go to Settings>Social, it says invalid parameters.

I think I would just like to re-root and the update to froyo or honeycomb that way. Do I need to return to stock, or just re-root??

Help!
    Last edited by buckeyecass; 04-28-2011 at 08:03 AM. Reason: typo

I'm getting the same message despite reflashing auto-nooter.

I have had enough with this thing resetting, it has happen to my rooted NOOK twice before last week.

SO this time I flashed CM7 and I LOVE IT! Got all my apps back thanks to APP Brain, and now I have other apps that would not work on a rooted NOOK!

Here is how I did it, I find this HOW TO better than the one posted on the "How to Forum".

Trying you might just like it!

Quote Originally Posted by uflac1105 View Post
    What is the fota.mode and how do I do this?
    Here are the directions.

Required Apps:

- SQLite Editor (in market)

Process:
    1. Open SQLite
    2. Open devicemanager.db
    3. Select "registry" - this should open up a spreadsheet looking file.(This step is easier if you turn the nook to landscape)
    4. Find row: com.bn.device.fota.mode
    5. Highlight and go over to the column marked "Values"
    6. Press and hold "auto" until the "Actions" window pops up
    7. Select "Edit Field"
    8. Replace auto with manual
    9. Select "Save"

This app cost about 3 bucks but it lets you into everything thats on your nook..
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    658 Global Posts

You know, I was worried about this, so I flashed CM7. Holy Cow, was I grateful I did. CM7 (tablet optimized) is awesome.

It's such a great experience.