Upgrading SD Cards for CM7

nfgman325

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello All,

I just installed CM7 on a Kingston 8gb class 4 the other day. It runs fine except force close on Pandora and Pulse once in a while. I'm thinking of upgrading to a class 6 or 10 card. My question is, would I just copy and paste the contents of 1 card to the other? Or is there something trickier than that?

Also for reference, I tried CM7 on a Kingston 16gb class 4 card and it was just way too slow. Force closed on device setup. Ha ha.

picopir8

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
There are several partitions on the card so no you can not just copy the files. If you use linux or mac then you can use dd to create an image of the card and then dd the image to the new card.

killab

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There are several partitions on the card so no you can not just copy the files. If you use linux or mac then you can use dd to create an image of the card and then dd the image to the new card.

Would it be possible to add the steps for doing this in Linux? I am interested in upgrading my SD as well. Thank you.

swoozle

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you used Win32DiskImage to write your original card, you can use the same program in reverse to create an image file, then write that to the new SD card.

killab

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
If you used Win32DiskImage to write your original card, you can use the same program in reverse to create an image file, then write that to the new SD card.

Genius, pure genius! Worked like a charm. Although, I did need to add the unallocated space using EASEUS. SD card has been upgraded and I did not loose any of my data. Thanks!

mikey4226

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Can someone do a step-by-step tutuorial of this process? I bought a new class 6 micro sd card that I would like to transfer my setup to. I just want to make sure I create the image correctly, and I'm also not sure how to do the EASEUS part. Thanks for your help!

Jrid32

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would like to know as well...

Can someone do a step-by-step tutuorial of this process? I bought a new class 6 micro sd card that I would like to transfer my setup to. I just want to make sure I create the image correctly, and I'm also not sure how to do the EASEUS part. Thanks for your help!

killab

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
What I did was unzip an old CM7 image to a folder on my computer. I inserted my SD with the CM7 I was using and opened Win32DiskImage and made sure it had the correct drive letter selected. In the Image File box, I selected the old CM7 image that I had unzipped earlier (ramdisk.img) and clicked on Read (do not click on Write!! or else you will format the SD card). Read will write your entire SD card as an image including paid apps and settings. After the image is done copying, remove the original SD card and insert your new SD card. In Win32, make sure you have the correct drive letter then select the image file you just copied. Click on Write and wait for it to finish.

Now open EASEUS and you should see a list of partitions for your SD card. Select the “CM7 SDCARD FAT32…..”. Right click on it and you will see the option to Resize/Move partition. Click on the slider and move it all the way to the right. This will add all the unallocated space to the CM7 partition. After that click on OK, close EASEUS, and safely remove your SD card. Instructions are also here from their web site.
This is what worked for me. I am not sure if the results may vary. As long as you made an image of your card, you can always go back if things go wrong. Good luck everyone.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig