cm7 sd boot?

droodski

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Is there a solid thread on how to boot CM7 from SD? Also who is doing it that way and how is it working compared to running it on the internal memory?

Thanks

Kadin

May 7, 2011
Visit site
While I'm sure there are plenty of threads around, the page below is the one I followed and it worked like a breeze. I considered installing to the internal but the supposed minimal bumps in performance don't outweigh the loss of the stock Nook system and loss of the B&N reader app included with it. I'm running CM7 7.0.2 off SD and 1.2 on the stock eMMC. I have a boot loader option set so it normally goes into the SD card unless I hold down the 'n' button which then tells the system to load the internal instead.

Nook Color CM7 Install Tutorial and Review - Android 2.3 GingerBread on Nook Color

Reactions: droodski

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm running it on a Class 10 card and it runs pretty well. I find the 1.2 B&N update ruined the web browser so I decided to try CM7 on SD and I have to tell you that I haven't used the stock software since. I will boot the stock software when I need to read a magazine subscription, but other than that, CM7 seems smoother, especially browsing the web, and more battery efficient.

G-Man2879

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
While I'm sure there are plenty of threads around, the page below is the one I followed and it worked like a breeze. I considered installing to the internal but the supposed minimal bumps in performance don't outweigh the loss of the stock Nook system and loss of the B&N reader app included with it. I'm running CM7 7.0.2 off SD and 1.2 on the stock eMMC. I have a boot loader option set so it normally goes into the SD card unless I hold down the 'n' button which then tells the system to load the internal instead.

Nook Color CM7 Install Tutorial and Review - Android 2.3 GingerBread on Nook Color

I tried this process and failed. I don't understand step #4 where it says "drop the file in the main root folder of your new CM7 card"?

My NC failed to boot after step 4. I don't see a prtition or main root on my card when I open it up, I just see the list of files.

I like this process because I REALLY like my NC but I also want an Adroid tablet so I don't really want to root the stock OS.

I'm confused????

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I am booting CM 7 off a 8 gig class 4 card without a hitch.

The instructions were pretty clear...

Did have a little problem getting Gapps installed as the timing sometimes can be a ***** to perfect.

If you follow the link and instruction in the #2 post, you shouldn't have a problem....

If you do, be sure to watch the video...

Lego....

Kadin

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried this process and failed. I don't understand step #4 where it says "drop the file in the main root folder of your new CM7 card"?

My NC failed to boot after step 4. I don't see a prtition or main root on my card when I open it up, I just see the list of files.

I like this process because I REALLY like my NC but I also want an Adroid tablet so I don't really want to root the stock OS.

I'm confused????

When it says the 'main root folder' it basically means the main directory of the memory card. As soon as you click on the driver letter to look at the contents of the disk, you're viewing the root directory. Is that where you put the .zip file?

And were you successful in doing the initial install of the file to the card? You'll know because the card itself will look abnormally small in available memory as a couple of the partitions can't be shown in Windows environment (if that's what you're doing this in).

cashX3r0

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
so i used win32diskimager .3 to image the generic-sdcard-v1.1.img and ended up with an 8gb card with a 117mb fat32 partition and the rest is unallocated. i have EASEUS partition manager installed to get the unallocated space allocated so that i can put CM7 on the card too, but i am getting errors that dont get me through the CM7 install when i see the penguin on the nook. am i doing something wrong?

Kadin

May 7, 2011
Visit site
so i used win32diskimager .3 to image the generic-sdcard-v1.1.img and ended up with an 8gb card with a 117mb fat32 partition and the rest is unallocated. i have EASEUS partition manager installed to get the unallocated space allocated so that i can put CM7 on the card too, but i am getting errors that dont get me through the CM7 install when i see the penguin on the nook. am i doing something wrong?

Yeah you don't need to do anything, the card should look like that in Windows. The partitions you can't see are necessary for CM7. All you should have to do is copy the file over as the directions say and boot up the Nook with the SD card inserted. It should go from there... You'll see the extra space once you boot into CM7 and look at the storage section in settings.

The CM7 file should fit right into the root directory with that small amount of space free.

mbglosta

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Good heads up on the Transcend card vs the Sandisk. I can't write to my Transcend, get an error message, I forget exactly what it stated. I can write other things to the card. I will grab a Sandisk card, and hopefully that is what is tripping me up. Auto Nooter worked fine on it, but not cm7.

G-Man2879

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I was using a Sandisk 16g card that I had and could not get this to work for some reason. Went to Radio Shack the other day and bought an 8g Sandisk, came home and finished this successfully in about 15 minutes. All that practice with the 16g card helped (I think I did get a few gray hairs for my frustration though)! Running great now, the Nook on CM7 is really something amazing! Is it too late to overclock or can I unmount my card, add the overclock and do it now? Is it really neccessary to overclock, system seems to be working really good, hate to mess with it if I don't really need to?? Thanks to all the folks who help out non-techy people like myself, your hard work is truly appreciated!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza