how much does the sdcard matter?

mikey4226

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I am currently running CM7 with the overclock kernal set to 1.1 GHz off of a class 2 16gb micro sdcard that came from my old Droid X phone. CM7 works fine, but I find that it's generally slow and lags quite a bit when opening/closing apps, opening menus, and such. Does this have to do with the fact that it's only a class 2 card? Would upgrading to a class 4 or class 6 card minimize the lag I'm experiencing? Or is there something else that is causing the issue? Thanks for your input.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think they make microSD cards in anything other than class 2. Not that I've seen, anyway. I just got my Nook today... Time to have some fun with it...

Ultimoose

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they make microSD cards in anything other than class 2. Not that I've seen, anyway. I just got my Nook today... Time to have some fun with it...

Sorry, that's incorrect. They come a lot faster than a class 2. And yes the 2 is going to cause serious lag/performance issues. You need at least a class 4 if not a class 6 to get reasonable performance. A class 10 is probably overkill.

anon(19758)

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Cool... I like being wrong when it comes to better tech. I'm gonna have to find me one of those!

As I mentioned, I'm new to the nc. (And it turns out there may be a new one in a few weeks. Grr. At least it's within my return window.) I got CM7 installed last night via Rom Manager. Is it installed on the sd or internal memory? How can I tell. I suppose if I boot w/o the sd in... Right? This thing's fun to work with.

soundsource

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to share my recent experience. for a few months i have been running nookie froyo on a an 8 GB samsung class 6. it served all my tablet needs, and i liked it so much i never really was motivated enough to even try honeycomb when the devs released it.
This past week, i decided to start browsing the forums again with the intention of throwing something on my new ADATA 16 GB class 10. I put a dual boot phiremod/honey image on it and gave it a test drive. everything looked real nice, but the more apps i added from the market, the more force closes i would get. So i tried CM7 on the same SD, Same results. force close every minute. Market, Launcher...force close. unbearable.
So i used winimage to create an image of each of them (instead of re-installing clean). I then put the dual boot phiremod/honey image on the Samsung card and it works with NO force close issues. Ive set the phiremod up with everything i need, including netflix, and it's fast and friendly.
I'm not in such a hurry to load apps into honeycomb though, but when i've bumped around on it, there were no issues with speed or stability.
There's a great thread on xda where one member shares his moment of clarity , after using a CLASS 2, 8 GB sandisk card. SD Strange-results - or - How I learned to love CM7 - xda-developers

read up before wasting money on an ADATA class 10 like i did. good luck.

bb_girl

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
The card made all the difference for me. I burned CM7 to a PNY 2 GB class 2 card over the weekend, and it worked but was incredibly slow (it took over an hour to download 7 apps from the market) and web browsing was painful also. Yesterday, I found a San Disk 8 GB class 4 card, and re-did the CM7 imaging, and it is quite speedy now. I got Netflix enabled and streamed a couple of things to test it out with no video problems at all--it was very smooth. I am thrilled with the "CM7 on a class 4 card" method.

irisclara

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The xda - developers thread cited above truly is the answer here. Sandisk cards aren't the only ones that work properly but they are the easiest solution. I'm running CM7 off a 16 GB class 4 Dane-Elec and it works great. The trick is to find a card with fast small block random writes. In that thread there are people having trouble with class 10 Patriot cards but the Sandisk class 4s benchmark 50x faster in this one crucial category and it makes all the difference.

speedtrap63

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm running CM7 on a 4GB Patriot Class 10 card and it runs very smooth. I've got more than a dozen apps downloaded from the market and have had no force closes. I'm not running oc'ed. Sometimes you just get a bad card, or a good one or your oc might be unstable.

My results are all anecdotal, I haven't done any benchmarks, so take my experience for what it's worth. :cool:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma