1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Best Option For 1.2.0 Nook Color

I just picked up a nook color with 1.2.0 installed from factory. What in your opinion would be the best options for my nook? I am open to do anything to it, im just curious to hear what has and has not worked for everyone.

CM7. I have not rooted 1.2 yet, so I can't comment on the manual root process or how well anything works, but CM7 is the shiznit.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

I have 1.2 stock and CM7 on a SD card with a dual-boot menu, so far it's the best of all possible worlds (as Voltaire once wrote). The manual nooter is getting better all the time and maybe an autonooter will show up before long.

I had someone install Honeycomb for me (too dumb to do it myself!) on an SD card so I can have my cake (B&N ereader) and eat it (Amazon), too!

Rooted 7.02 (not 7.03) Huskermania's Youtube video will walk you through it

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Why not 7.03? I installed it the other day because it was the newest, is there a good reason to downgrade?

Sent via Tapatalk
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

Quote Originally Posted by cae2685 View Post
    Why not 7.03? I installed it the other day because it was the newest, is there a good reason to downgrade?

Sent via Tapatalk
    When I rooted via CM7, 7.03 wasn't bring along the Android Market
    Maybe it's been fixed

ROM
    Evo: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by roberto View Post
    I have 1.2 stock and CM7 on a SD card with a dual-boot menu, so far it's the best of all possible worlds (as Voltaire once wrote). The manual nooter is getting better all the time and maybe an autonooter will show up before long.
    Can you link to the instructions you used to get CM7 bootable from an SD card?

Quote Originally Posted by bjordan View Post
    Can you link to the instructions you used to get CM7 bootable from an SD card?

Not dual boot but pretty clear
    Thanked by:

CM7 7.0.3 is by far the best way to go....

I started off booting via the card, but it was just a little slow... but it gave me a great feel on how it would operate.

I finally bit the bullet and installed it to internal mem and it works great....

The upside is you don't have to be rooted to do either.

SD boots up first, so no root needed... whether you use it from the card or want to install direct.

Lego
    HTC ONE (M8)!

ChromeCast
    Nexus 7 (2012)

BB 6510>7510>8830>8330 Curve>9530 Storm> HTC Droid Incredible > HTC REZOUND!> HTC One (M8)

ROM
    Evo: CM7

Quote Originally Posted by third son View Post

Not dual boot but pretty clear
    Awesome thanks. I'm pretty familiar with flashing SD cards, but my first attempt I screwed this up. I didn't really read up on it much though. I'm sure the vid will help.

Global Posts
    727 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by stevek28 View Post
    When I rooted via CM7, 7.03 wasn't bring along the Android Market
    Maybe it's been fixed
    It's a separate DL, but I used Rom Manager so it asked and I said yes.
    Droid X
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - CM10

Default Dual Boot-CM7

I just did the dual boot mod yesterday. What a great thing! Now I just keep my SD card in the slot!

Thanks!

cm7 on the internal memory. overclocked also. blazing fast.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM10 11/08 Nightly

Is there a root for 1.2 stock to CM7.0.3 on internal memory?

Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

Default Depending what you want

I used the Nook primarily for reading book and secondary for a cheap tablet. In my case, I will wait for the autonooter for the 1.2 and then put in an overclock android 2.2 kernel or you can use the manual rooter but with more tedious steps and still with some minor problems. The great thing about using autonooter is that you don't have to dual boot and you can have access of the native nook ereader functions, which is superior to the nook or kindle app in the market place. For instance, I subscribe WSJ newspaper and read them everyday. I use the native nook reader and with rooted nook, I also have the access to the market place without reboot into the SD. It's the best of both worlds if you want to keep the native nook ereader app. If you don't care about the nook color as a reader then go ahead, try all other kernel or try dual boot from internal or external SD.

I change my original answer of CM7 and I now suggest Phiremod. It is CM7 with a few tweaks that more closely match my use and needs. Truly awesome ROM build.
    Devices:

Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound

Default Help!

Ok I'm in a limbo in part because I need to wait till morning to get a micro SD adapter but while I would normaly just put my head down & muddle through (always get there in the end) I'm struggling a little with the wealth of options..

CM7 looks like the go but it seems that I dont need to root first if putting it on internal partition..? can anyone give me a pointer (or 2) as to where I can find a focus on this procedure?

I'm currently stock on 1.2..

many thanks.

There are a ton of forums with all of this info. The mostcomplicated part for a noob is burning the sd card with a clockwork image. This is NOT just dropping a file on your SD card. Once you have aclockwork SD card, then you only need the zip file for cm7, a zip for clockwork recovery, gapps, and an overclocked kernel. No rooting of your nook is necessary. The clockwork recoverysd card will install all of on the internal memory erasing everything that came stock. Search for the thread install cm7 on internal.
    Devices:

Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound

Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

If I flash cyanogen to the internal memory, can I revert back to stock if I ever need to get the nook replaced or repaired?
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

Yes, but it's more of a PITA than just the 8x restart restore. xdadevs has the files you would need. You essentially need to rebuild the stock setup. I'd just put CM7 on a 16GB sandisk card and not have to mess with all that.

If you just manualroot stock 1.2 you'll still have the simple restore and any BN stuff you might want. With the boot menu uboot you can boot CM7 from the card or rooted stock from internal without removing the card. With my current setup I can even have both ROMs running apps that use the same files stored on the card.