Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default CM7 .03 Stable v's -87 Nightly

Guys,

For everyday use which is better? Stable .03, or nightly -87
    ioo

ROM
    Stock

Im using 87 right now. The only issue I ever have is occasional wifi problems. Sometimes it hangs and I have to turn the wifi radio off then on again to get it going again. Other than that it seems plenty stable.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

I am seeing some WiFi issues. When it's not working, turning WiFi off & on doesn't work. Under settings for WiFi it shows Error. I have to reboot. I am also seeing a problem updating apps from Market. The status shows that it dnloaded, but freezes the system at some point during install. After reboot, the app has not been updated. I am anxiously awaiting a new release, but it has been a long time since a "Stable" & "Nightlies" are slow too.

Cheers,
    kev

Been using 87 nightly off an SD card boot with zero issues. It just works.

Sorry but what is 87? Also why do folks do nightly updates?

Global Posts
    646 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by third son View Post
    Sorry but what is 87? Also why do folks do nightly updates?
    87 is just the number of the latest nightly build of CM7 for the Nook. And I don't think most people actually do nightly updates, they're just there so people have access to the latest features. A good example is that better power management (deep sleep) has been added since the last stable build, so to get it, you have to be using one of the more recent nightly builds, above 65 or so I believe. Think of the nightly builds as just beta versions of CM - you'll get the latest features, but there could be a few bugs.

As for me, I've been using nightly 87 and have experience no problems whatsoever - WiFi works perfectly, no premature battery drain problems or getting stuck in sleep. Working really well.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply...I have been using CM7 off the SD but don't recall the build. It is stable and I am also running the dual boot option....cool stuff!

I have tried a few times to get 87 on my nook but when it boots it goes to black screen and wont do anything. I end up giving it the three finger salute and booting to my recovery sd where I reload 37 and gapps and OC. Then it's back to normal. Is there some particular formatting that has to be done on the /boot partition to make 87 work?

I am using 86 with no issues so far. I didn't see any advantage in going higher at this point. They are up to 94 as of today. You can see the change log here: CyanogenMod nightlies changelog for Encore
    ioo

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by n3tguru View Post
    I have tried a few times to get 87 on my nook but when it boots it goes to black screen and wont do anything. I end up giving it the three finger salute and booting to my recovery sd where I reload 37 and gapps and OC. Then it's back to normal. Is there some particular formatting that has to be done on the /boot partition to make 87 work?
    Are you using the SD installer from this thread?

[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards. - xda-developers

If so, I think you need to upgrade the boot partition to 1.3 for nightlies 87 and up.

I've been using the stable #3 since it was released (upgraded from #2). Have installed to internal memory. The only problems I've encountered so far are the occasional wi-fi disconnect and my menu bar force closing. Other than that I love it!

late,
    Coz
    "I don't want to spend my life explaining myself. Either you get it or you don't." Frank Zappa

Since no one mentioned it, the latest nightly's starting at n86 are running a new version of the Linux kernel (2.6.32). This allows the NC to deep sleep which makes a huge difference in battery life during standby. Also the NC runs better in general without overclocking.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Since no one mentioned it, the latest nightly's starting at n86 are running a new version of the Linux kernel (2.6.32). This allows the NC to deep sleep which makes a huge difference in battery life during standby. Also the NC runs better in general without overclocking.
    Precisely why I went to 86. I have been reading the change log for the nightlies up to 95 and can't really see a reason to go higher. Many of the changes are for features that we do not have such as camera, 3g, etc. I'm pretty happy at 86 and can't think of something that I would want to do with the Nook that I cannot given the hardware.

when you pick a nightly what device type are you choosing?

Quote Originally Posted by jackchaos View Post
    when you pick a nightly what device type are you choosing?
    Encore

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    Precisely why I went to 86. I have been reading the change log for the nightlies up to 95 and can't really see a reason to go higher. Many of the changes are for features that we do not have such as camera, 3g, etc. I'm pretty happy at 86 and can't think of something that I would want to do with the Nook that I cannot given the hardware.
    There are changes in n91+ which are attempts to fix the PDB (premature battery death) issue. I'm running n95 right now but haven't let my battery run down far enough to see if the issue is fixed.

ROM
    CM7 92611Ntly / CM 7.0.3

I just loaded 99 today, awesome! You can definitely see improvements with the updated nightlies.

Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM

Do the nightlies need anything else beyond the rom or do I need to load a separate kernel at the same time?

I was considering resetting my Nook back to stock because of the battery issue but if it's definitely fixed/better in 86 and up I'll just re-flash.

Quote Originally Posted by frankspin View Post
    Do the nightlies need anything else beyond the rom or do I need to load a separate kernel at the same time?

I was considering resetting my Nook back to stock because of the battery issue but if it's definitely fixed/better in 86 and up I'll just re-flash.
    86 and up includes the new kernel. You do not need a separate one.

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    86 and up includes the new kernel. You do not need a separate one.
    Unless you want to overclock.
    ioo

ROM
    Stock

Flashed 101 today. So far rock solid.

I flashed CM7 and want to update. I checked "About Tablet" and it says: Kernel=2.6.29-omap1, Mod Version=CyanogenMod-7.0.0-encore, Build=GRI40.

Can anyone tell me which version I have of the nightlies? I want the upgrade to the latest but dont want to lose data.

Any instructions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!