Can't edit build.prop

Arterra

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
When I try saving it says there was an error doing so. (and so I can't change my NC to fix double speed on Netflix.) Have tried numerous file browsers.
Cm7 on SD card

boude

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I?m having the same issue with my CM7 rooted CN. The ?permission bits? are locked because it is a system file and it does not allow writing to that file or changing those permission bits as far as I can see. I downloaded freebie ES File Explorer and got an error message. Apparently not everyone does. Then I bought Root Explorer, gave it Superuser rights and was still unsuccessful. In a more roundabout manor I tried copying the file to SD card, editing it, and then replacing the original. A bonehead desperation move.

My understanding it that with ADB on the computer, this will allow this build.prop file to be overwritten via USB by using DOS like (linux?) syntax. I haven?t used a CLI for all intents and purposes for twenty years. <SIGH>

For this: Menu/Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging must be checked (which apparently is default and can be unchecked for routine PC USB connectivity.)

I wiped out Honeycomb and everything else and installed CM7 just to get Netflix, only to listen to Alvin and his hyperactive buddies. I?ve got a full day troubleshooting this and I?m not convinced that changing this file will work but it seems our only option. If nothing else I might be able to see Netflix in the Marketplace and maybe install a different version. The real irony here is that the one reason I went to all this work, is the ONLY glitch I?ve had.

The big plus here is that CM7 is much more polished and elegant than HC. All the hard work that has gone on to get this system up and running on the CN is mindboggling.

boude

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I’ve got bad news, good news and better news.

It was my own stupidity that I couldn’t edit the file. ... that’s the bad news.

In Root Explorer at the top of each page, near the parent folder portion of the screen, there is a small box that says ‘Mount R/W’ for the System Folder. A simple one finger press toggles this to Read/Write and any text file in that folder is now editable. Root Explorer is smart enough to automatically create a back-up (.bak) of the edited file. After editing the folder should be toggled back to R/O…read/only.

After I edited the folder, I rebooted and to my surprise Netflix works perfectly.

Good Luck

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12