Amazon Kindle App crashes & how to root stock ROM

anon(630106)

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I have just bought a Nook HD+ and have installed CM 10.1 (latest version as per the xda link:
[NOOK HD/HD+] Installing CyanogenMod 10.1 for Dummies - xda-developers

All is fine except that I have installed the kindle reader app, which works some of the time, but crashes most of the time. I have noticed that when I install it, I can sign in and get my books delivered to my device without problem. However, if I lock the screen or even reboot the device, when I try and run the app it crashes and I return to my home screen.
I have tried clearing out the cache and then removing the information from the app (in the app settings section of the device settings) but it still doesn't work. I have to deinstall the app then reinstall it to get it to work - until I reboot / lock screen again, when it starts all over again!!

I have tried manually installing older versions of the app but the problem still persists.

I really need the kindle app to work (this is my primary use of the tablet at the moment) so would be grateful for any assistance you could give.

My only alternative would be to return to the stock ROM and run it through the Nook tailored home page (something I don't want to do unless I have to). Speaking of which, does anyone know how to root the HD+ stock ROM? Not replace it, but root it? If I have to use the kindle app via the Nook ROM, I also need to restore my other apps to the device via Titanium backup, which needs root access.

Any assistance would be welcome.

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sorry I won't be much help here, but I have run the Amazon Kindle app under the stock B&N rom (installed via google play) with no problem. Couldn't find the book study book I needed in the B&N store so had to buy via amazon. So it would work on the stock rom.

Don't have any good links for rooting. Sorry.

Good luck!

anon(630106)

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Thanks for the reply. I've found a link that shows how to root the stock ROM, but I'm not at my PC at the moment so I'll post it when I can.
It's a shame that I have to revert back to stock - I don't really want to do it but if I want to use the kindle reader app without it crashing it looks like I'll have to...... Unless anyone else has any ideas?

Edit: Here's the link, in case anyone is interested in rooting the stock ROM.
[Nook HD/HD+] Ultimate and hassle-free root for stock roms (2.1.1) - xda-developers

Any ideas on how to stop thekindle reader app from crashing would be welcome.

Last edited: