Avg antivirus shows adware threat from preinstalled ap "Crosswords" can't remove. HELP!!!!

tdreed

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Avg antivirus showed adware threat on pre-installed app "crosswords". Pops up everytime AVG runs!!! Can't uninstall app!! I just purchased Nook HD!!! HELP!!!!

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Re: Avg antivirus shows adware threat from preinstalled ap "Crosswords" can't remove. HELP!!!!

What happens when you try to uninstall it? What steps are you taking to uninstall it? Just deleting the icon doesn't remove the app. It must be uninstalled from "Apps".

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

tdreed

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: Avg antivirus shows adware threat from preinstalled ap "Crosswords" can't remove. HELP!!!!

I know. I have tried to uninstall from settings and antivirus gave me option uninstall to no avail. It is preinstalled. I went to settings under apps and uninstalled but did not remove. Same thing on my husbands new nNook hd. We both just got new ones.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

I know. I have tried to uninstall from settings and antivirus gave me option uninstall to no avail. It is preinstalled. I went to settings under apps and uninstalled but did not remove. Same thing on my husbands new nNook hd. We both just got new ones.

Oh, if it's preinstalled I'd just give AVG an email so they could add it to their false positives lists. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

mcshaggin

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

There's no AVG antivirus preinstalled on my two nook hds. Is this just posted in the wrong forum? Otherwise you may have installed it accidentally when installing something else.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

There's no AVG antivirus preinstalled on my two nook hds. Is this just posted in the wrong forum? Otherwise you may have installed it accidentally when installing something else.

The OP was saying that a different app is preinstalled on their devices and that AVG is reporting it as a virus.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

My Anti-virus program doesn't see a problem with the crossword app. It does say the particular version I have hasn't been fully vetted yet, but the only permissions the app has is internet, it should not be able to mess with other apps or system settings or read personal information.

tdreed

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

No avg antivirus was not preinstalled, Crosswords was

tdreed

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

I have the app locked so no one can click on the app and play game. When app is not running, is it safer?

tdreed

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

My avg does. I downloaded another antivirus after this and it doesn't. I chatted with support and she had me do a total reset and it was fine for a few days and now it is doing it again,. Its funny that it is happening on both new Nook HD's

tdreed

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site

Oh ok. Thx! By the way, do you know if micro SD cards work good on the Nook HD? Thanks!

SherB52

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site

I had the same problem. I have the AVG installed on my Nook Tablet HD. I talked with B&N and they suggested I "hide" it so it doesn't show up on my apps page. We even did a factory reset.

Each time AVG detected it, I clicked to uninstall and received the uninstall verification. However, at random, Crosswords would reinstall on its own and I would get the AVG popup when I was in the middle of something.

I emailed support many times. Finally, it seems to have been fixed. It is not doing this anymore. Don't know if B&N fixed it or what. I just know that when it detected "intrusive adware" it was truly intrusive to my Nook activity.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463