Why I didn't return the Nook HD+

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've often seen posts titled "Why I'm returning..." some device and in truth the first 2-3 days I had my Nook Hd+ I was thinking I would have to post the same. But, I gave it a little more time, and did a little more reading (both on and off the Nook ;-) ) and I'm very pleased that I'm keeping my new Nook HD!

Some background on where I was comming from. Just before the Nook HD+, I had a imported unlocked Galaxy SII, a Nexus 7 16GB (bought at release), and a Nook Color I had picked up early on when they first did the $50 off when they sold it on Ebay deal. I was pretty happy with all the devices. I had used manualnooter to root my Nook Color so that I could have my E-Reader but also a taste of a 7 inch tablet. When the Nexus 7 came out I knew it was something I'd use given my experience with my Nook Color. After that I pretty much reverted the Nook back to stock and just used it as an E-Reader. Problem was the Nexus 7 had a better screen, even though it was heavier it was the better reading experience for my eyes. So the Nook was used less and less. Near the end the Nook Color was only used to read content that didn't work on the Nook for Android app (some magazines mostly).

Then the Nook HDs came out. The Nook HD (7" display) wasn't for me as it was almost a duplicate of what I already had in my Nexus 7. But, the Nook HD+ (8.9") had a bigger much higher resolution display, was lighter and offered access to all Nook content. Price wasn't bad either, so figured it would be a great way to have a light experience of a larger format tablet for less money while giving me a great screen for reading. I read primarily books, but enjoy and occasional magazine or comic book which really does lend well to larger high-res displays. Video viewing is rare, but a nice option to have.

So I purchased it, loved the screen, but felt underwelmed by the functionality. I had no video content, it was a pain to mount to my Macbook pro (MTP, ugh..), ultraviolet didn't seem to work as it was supposed to, and app choice were limited and expensive. I really didn't want to have to go the rooted method again, it's nice functionality wise, but a pain to maintain. So I started having buyers remorse. Was $299 I spent on it a bad idea (I got the 32GB model), could I just forget some of the content access and stick with my smaller Nexus 7 screen? I had my doubts.

Then, I started reading. I started using it for reading and wow, the screen really is great. And it's light, lighter than my Nexus 7 yet a larger screen and a lot more pixels. It's just comfortable to the hands and the eyes. And all the magazine content worked, and browsing the web was even very nice. It has this nice little function called "Article View" which stiprs out all the adds and distracting side stuff of the webpage you are view and present just the text of the article. It does an incredibly good job of doing this, really amazing. And though dealing with MTP on the Mac is a pain I was able to sideload books from other sources no problems and though the covers didn't show up the book titles did and they worked great. Finally I read up on how to relatively easily sideload apps. This is a developer option, but works reasonably well for the ocassional app from google play store I want to use. Just copy the app off my Nexus 7, load it with adb onto the Nook HD+ and then use the secret key combo (Goto applications, press and hold up volume while tapping the app header at the top of the screen and you get the "extras" screen with your sideloaded apps) to access my apps when needed. Not super easy, but not to hard, and works for the occasional app use.

So now I'm very happy with it, and actually took the Nook + laptop on my last long vacation instaed of the Nexus + laptop. That screen is just wonderfull and the battery life has been great. For less than 2 hours a day of reading and light webbrowsing (usually at night in bed with the backlight low), I've had the thing last a week plus on a single charge.

My only challenges now are to find a decent case, the two I've tried so far have failed to work to my needs. I'll post reviews of those seperately. Also still waiting for zagg to put out a screen protector for this model, would love to cut down on some of the glare and fingerprints.

So, happy customer, and I'm NOT returning mine.

Last edited:

Celandine

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Loved your experience and thanks for sharing it! I too am loving my HD+ and after having a Nook Color, it's quite amazing. I love it especially for my magazine subscriptions as the pictures literally pop out at you with their vibrancy. Best investment I've made and a wonderful Christmas pressie to myself. :)

For any interested, there is a N2A (Nook to Android) card that can be purchased and which, when inserted into the sd card slot, changes your Nook HD+ to a full-fledged Jellybean experience. Absolutely DOES NOT void your warranty either. Google Play store is there and any apps you've bought there will simply be waiting for you to download again. All content is saved on the N2A card, too, so no worries about filling up the memory of the Nook. Once you're done playing, simply take the N2A card out of the Nook, restart and it will revert back to the original Nook screen and content. Very easy. I had a 32g micro so downloaded the N2A content for $19.99 from the site. It has added to my enjoyment of my Nook HD+.

Target and BN sells a screen protector especially for the Nook HD+. I picked mine up from Target (much closer than a brick and mortar BN store for me), installed it simply enough and love the matte finish I now have. Cuts the glare and fingerprints ten-fold.

Good luck with your Nook and again, thanks for sharing!

uflac1105

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Loved your experience and thanks for sharing it! I too am loving my HD+ and after having a Nook Color, it's quite amazing. I love it especially for my magazine subscriptions as the pictures literally pop out at you with their vibrancy. Best investment I've made and a wonderful Christmas pressie to myself. :)

For any interested, there is a N2A (Nook to Android) card that can be purchased and which, when inserted into the sd card slot, changes your Nook HD+ to a full-fledged Jellybean experience. Absolutely DOES NOT void your warranty either. Google Play store is there and any apps you've bought there will simply be waiting for you to download again. All content is saved on the N2A card, too, so no worries about filling up the memory of the Nook. Once you're done playing, simply take the N2A card out of the Nook, restart and it will revert back to the original Nook screen and content. Very easy. I had a 32g micro so downloaded the N2A content for $19.99 from the site. It has added to my enjoyment of my Nook HD+.

Target and BN sells a screen protector especially for the Nook HD+. I picked mine up from Target (much closer than a brick and mortar BN store for me), installed it simply enough and love the matte finish I now have. Cuts the glare and fingerprints ten-fold.

Good luck with your Nook and again, thanks for sharing!

Do you have a web address on where to purchase that N2A download?

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to add my $.02 on this subject here one year later.

I picked up a book a couple weeks ago on the play store and was reading it on my Nexus 7 (2012). It's got a great screen but the text never seemed quite clear enough. Also I'd already tried reading comics on it but the screen was just too small for that.

I'd heard great things about the nook HD+, and the price is great right now so picked one up on 'the bay' last week. Boy am I happy, the screen is such a good size, it seems downright huge when compared to the Nexus. Reading, by design, is great on this tablet. Comics and magazines are awesome as well. I was pleasantly surprised to find videos play quite well on the nook, this has become my Netflix go to device. Even more surprising is many of my games play fine on it as well, just not the 3D graphic intensive or THD games.

I liked it so much I got another one for my wife for valentines day, so no, I will NOT be returning these tablets! I cannot speak highly enough about the HD+, you'd be hard pressed to find a better spec tablet in this price range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995