Mapping tool for Android

traveld

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the Nook HD+ this weekend because of the addition of Google Play to its repertoire and the great pricing still in effect. So far, so good, except no camera. A little disappointing there.
Anyway, I currently have an HP Touchpad that I run an app called MapTool Pro--a really nice gps type app that reads location from a bluetooth gps receiver. Is there a similar type of app running on Android that can locate off a bluetooth gps receiver as well as wi-fi?

Thanks

traveld

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I tried the link provided. Unfortunately that app is not compatible with the operating system on the Nook.
However, it appears that Google Maps for Android should work like a gps, but I can't figure out how to get it to use the bluetooth gps receiver. I can get the device to pair up. I turned off wi-fi, but that doesn't work; I am prompted to turn it back on.
Any suggestions?

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
From what I read google maps doesn't access bluetooth gps devices only the built in gps service. So to get google maps to work with it you have to have an app that takes the bluetooth gps results and converts them to simulate onboard gps signals. This then allows google maps to read the gps signal.

The app I linked to above was just one app. There are some other ones like this one https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...details?id=com.turboirc.bgp.v1&token=g8Sp5iwl

So you basically pair the bluetooth device. Turn on mock locations. Run the app, then run google maps and hope.

It's also possible you could install the app on another device and then sideload it onto the nook, but that involves lots of hoops.

Sorry I can't help you more. I don't have a bluetooth gps to try it with.

traveld

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try both.
I did see the other apps in Google Play, but most indicated they were not compatible with the Nook.
Can you tell me what side loading is? I've seen the term on other forums, but don't have a clue what that is. Pardon my ignorance. I an new to the Nook and tablet world.

Thanks

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Sideloading is when you download an app outside of google play and install it via the filesystem or external program. On the Nook it can be a little hard, you basically have to setup the developer tools on your desktop and use that to install apps onto your Nook over USB cable. It's an "advanced" method to install software.

I just checked and the Bluetooth GPS provider app is NookHD+ compatible (according to the web version of the google play store).

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Easiest way would be to buy a sd card with cm 10.1 on it, just pop it in, and you are good to go. If course, rooting isn't that difficult either.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4 Beta

traveld

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the feedback.
I am able to successfully pair the GPS receiver with the Nook. I need to find a mapping app that will read location from the receiver and not wi-fi. I don't think Google Maps will do this, at least I haven't figured out how to do it yet.

OK, now I need to know what rooting is! I just installed a micro SD card, so have lots of capacity. Just need to figure out how to use it all

Thanks for helping.

D_Whatley

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Nook HD+ paired to GlobalSat BT-359 bluetooth GPS using Bluetooth GPS (GooglePlay) (Note this is NOT Bluetooth GPS Provider which does not seem to include any settings screens displayed on the Nook, not sure what its problem is). I am still researching Nav apps but this pairing seems to work well. The bluetooth GPS is an older (2007) name brand, well respected model that has only recently been outdated. You can find it new, as of today (09/15/2013) for $15.00 including shipping on eBay, almost worth getting even if it never connected. The biggest problem (an all night headache trying to find software that would work) was locating the extra settings option that allowed the two units to pair. There are tweaks for the tablet <-> GPS communication at the bottom of the settings list but they cannot be seen or accessed unless the tablet is in portrait mode. In spite of the lack of documentation, I was so happy to get the Nook HD+ connected and reading a GPS that I gave it 5 stars as once the setting was marked, it connected immediately. Here is my GooglePlay review:

Nook HD+ paired with GlobalSat BT-359 After a night of frustration, I successfully paired, connected and was found using this app and my bluetooth external GPS. The app works with the Nook HD+ but needed a setting change. There are a few tweaks you can try in the settings. HOWEVER, these options, titled Connection Problems Related, CAN ONLY BE ACCESSED in PORTRAIT MODE. Landscape mode fails to scroll to reveal the choices .........For the Nook HD+ and GlobalSat BT-359 select: Use Insecure Connection ........ .As soon as you try to connect with this option checked, you should see the blue light on the GPS unit blinking rapidly, showing that you are connected. Data will display on the Main screen. Scroll right (or click status) to see your visible satellites, scroll right again ( Click NMEA) for the raw data and finally right again (Map) for your position. The map can optionally be hidden in the settings if you are not WiFi connected but is a great to have to validate that you have been found. ........ Now to find navigation software that can use the data!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruchi Chandel