Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Farish
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HD+ pure android tablet?

Two weeks ago walked by a B&N store & bought he HD+ bargain.
    Excellent screen and built (feel) quality, slight 'lag' on touch command execution (my regular tool is a nexus4, fast) which I blame on the B&N overlay, very sweet machine indeed.
    After looking at the OS & apps, I'm not really interested in joining the B&N universe (google/amazon already own me ). Yes there are features to it's reader that are interesting but (as far as I can tell) not enough to make me a devoted patron to their business model (though I do read electronic books I much prefer the feel of paper-books & I buy some of it from them). So, I'm planning to root it & make it a pure android tablet (which already is to some extent, I've installed the nova launcher, still....).
    Question...what if anything will I miss by rooting it this way? Dual booting is possible. Thanks.

Default Re: HD+ pure android tablet?

Quote Originally Posted by Charapa View Post
    Excellent screen and built (feel) quality, slight 'lag' on touch command execution (my regular tool is a nexus4, fast) which I blame on the B&N overlay, very sweet machine indeed.
    After looking at the OS & apps, I'm not really interested in joining the B&N universe (google/amazon already own me ). Yes there are features to it's reader that are interesting but (as far as I can tell) not enough to make me a devoted patron to their business model (though I do read electronic books I much prefer the feel of paper-books & I buy some of it from them). So, I'm planning to root it & make it a pure android tablet (which already is to some extent, I've installed the nova launcher, still....).
    Question...what if anything will I miss by rooting it this way? Dual booting is possible. Thanks.
    Only the BN ecosystem which you may find lackluster anyways.
    firepsych likes this.

Even rooting won't make it pure. The only way to make it pure Android is dual booting.
    Sent from my GT-P3113

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Charapa View Post
    I have made mine a pure android machine and really the only thing that you will miss is as was stated before, the B&N stuff. You can download the Nook app but the Android version has a bit more limited features than the version that comes with stock ROM. And isn't as nice for reading magazines either but I decided that the pros of running straight android outweighed the pros of keeping the stock ROM. I would highly recommend it if you are seriously considering the move. The device has official CyanogenMod support, so there will always be updates, which is nice too.

Sent from my Nook HD+ with official CM10.1 on emmc using Tapatalk HD
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thank you all for the comments. Root it & flashed pure android (backed up B&N software, just in case) cyanogenmod 10.1.3, jb4.2.2. Very nice & very stable, no problems. Not as fast as my Nexus4 initially but after flashing I see/feel no lag.

i also bought the nook hd+ with the express plan to wipe it and install jellybean. so far, i've put it aside, as i cannot find any simple way to do this. i've never rooted anything, and am reluctant to mess with this and make it a brick. since i've read many instances where this has happened, is there a safe, easy way to put JB on it? most sites don't even list the nook hd+. Charapa and bpaulian, could you point me to the site where I can DL what i need to do this?

could you please point me to the site where i can also find what i need to root/flash my nook hd+? so far, i'm fearfull of bricking it if I don't do it correctly, but am determined to get the BN overlay off of it. i bought it to wipe it and make it android only

ROM
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

Quote Originally Posted by dubbyluv View Post
    could you please point me to the site where i can also find what i need to root/flash my nook hd+? so far, i'm fearfull of bricking it if I don't do it correctly, but am determined to get the BN overlay off of it. i bought it to wipe it and make it android only
    Here is what I am looking at: Turn Your Nook Color & Nook Tablet Into A Powerful Android Tablet with AndroidForNook! ... seems amazingly straight forward: send the guy $20 bucks and you get memory card with all the necessary files... drop the card in, turn it on and BOOM done. I suppose the files could be found on the internet but I'm lazy and I do not have micro-card reader to put the files on.

Looks like you have two options:
    1. Leave the memory card inside *all the time* and you will boot to Android
    1a. Pro: your Nook OS is perfectly preserved... want to return to stock BN? just remove the card and reboot.
    1b. Con: you cannot use/remove the boot micro card -- it has to stay in all the time (which means you no longer "have" a micro-sd card option for storage)

2. Use the AFN card that roots the HD+ .. completely removes Nook OS and gives you 100% Android tablet. (this is the route I'll be going.)

I used this thread to download the boot image so you can boot from an microsd card (make sure you download the right one as the post has several files). I used this thread to download the ROM and Gapps package. Very easy to do, just make sure you use CM 10.1.3 stable ROM as 10.2 seems to still have some issues.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by dubbyluv View Post
    i also bought the nook hd+ with the express plan to wipe it and install jellybean. so far, i've put it aside, as i cannot find any simple way to do this. i've never rooted anything, and am reluctant to mess with this and make it a brick. since i've read many instances where this has happened, is there a safe, easy way to put JB on it? most sites don't even list the nook hd+. Charapa and bpaulian, could you point me to the site where I can DL what i need to do this?
    Read/reread carefully the instructions here (whatever you don't understand, forum search/google it)- [NOOK HD/HD+] Installing CyanogenMod 10.1 for Dummies - xda-developers. Thank e.mote. It also provides a troubleshooting section/FAQ.
    Memory card option - I couldn't 'stomach' having to pay for something freely available &/or repackaged for profit (on the sweat of others)
    Good luck & enjoy.

I did this (N2A) and it works fine. The only real issue is that it is running off the external microSD card which is not generally as fast as the internal storage. I notice a far bit of sluggishness and so I may move toward a wipe and flash option to move it back to the internal SD storage and see if the performance improves any. An earlier poster indicated that while not a quick as a Nexus 7 it is quite a bit quicker than the Nook overlay and my N2A seems a slight bit slower than the stock overlay.