Saving Wikipedia Offline to the computer before factory reset

BhargavJ

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I have a one year old Nook HD+. I've been using it all this time without any issues. It was only yesterday that I had a problem. When I tried to open Coolreader (for reading epubs), it wouldn't open, then the Nook would give a message that Shop had stopped working, and there was another problem with "com.google.process.gapps". I searched for a solution on the net but couldn't find one, so I finally did a factory reset. Its working fine now; I did have to connect the tablet to the computer to copy the books again, which is not a problem, but I lost all the apps that I had downloaded, which is again not a problem, since I can install them again. But one app was huge, Wikipedia Offline, 2+ GBs. I'll have to download it again.

Now my question is, suppose I face a similar problem in the future, is there any way to copy the Wikipedia folder from the Nook to the computer, so that I can copy it back after the factory reset? Where exactly does this folder lie?

Edit: Does Google Play allow stopping and resuming downloads? What I'm planning to do is to download the Offline Wikipedia to the computer from Google Play (if it is possible), and then copy it to the tablet. I don't have unlimited internet, only certain hours of the day are free.

Thanks.

Last edited:

D-Caf

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
First, thing, when you nook started acting up, before you did a reset, did you try powering down then back up? Just something to try if you didn't before reseting to factory.

As for copying stuff off before hand, you could use a program from google play like File Manager https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...apps/details?id=com.rhmsoft.fm&token=OiO61zlU to copy the files to an SD card, but that assumes that Wikipedia offline stores it's infomration in a user accessible area (and not in protected storage). If it's in protected storage you might be able to use ADB from the Android Developer Kit, but it's not a quick and easy process.

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/21943338-NOOK-Developer-Start-Up-Guide

BhargavJ

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
When the problem started, I tried shutting it down and restarting it a couple of times, but the problem didn't go away. I searched on the net and found that stopping the Google service and clearing the cache could help, so I tried that, but again no luck. It was only then that I did a factory reset.

I've learned that its not possible to stop/resume downloads from Google Play, nor is it possible to download first to the computer and then simply copy it to the Nook. First I'll have to download the whole ~3.5 GBs and then make a backup. I have downloaded the ES file manager at present; I'll download the file manager you've mentioned, and I'll tinker around a bit.

Thanks for the reply. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol