Full Root!

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
We have root just in case anyone missed is in the AndroidCentral News!

Full root for Nook Tablet. [11/20/11] [Yes this is a permanent root!] - xda-developers

UPDATE 04/2012
QUOTING BFOLLOWELL HERE:

"Also, nothing against these boards at all but this isn't the place to post for root help. If you really need advice, you need to register on and use the xda-developer forums. Make certain to post questions in the Q&A forum and you'll likely have no end of help."

I wanted to add this to this to the top of this thread because there are so many different versions of the B & N Nook out there now, they all use different methods to root. BFOLLOWELL is correct, if you are looking to root head over to the xda-developers site for all the info you'll need ;-).

Last edited:

dlcullen

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
so I got my new Nook Tablet last night, followed the instructions above to root

Love it, I can now read library books via Overdrive, video streaming is beautiful, it feels a little lighter than the nookcolor... selling my nookcolor on ebay for over $100 makes the tablet definitely worth upgrading to!

Pepi

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Did my wife's the other day. Works great. I do get some errors now and then about jobs failing but it still runs fine.

poppy3378

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
i'm a guy who didn't finish high school, traveled and worked thru out the world started and sold three publishing co. was consultant to ucsd and a large newspaper chain. Now in my late 70s am in awe of whats going on in the android market place and want to learn all about it. maybe this will be my next career. i have a nook color that is rooted and want to see how far i can take it . I have so much to learn and i love reading about what you guy are accumplishing. I will be reading and probing.:cool:

Pepi

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
i'm a guy who didn't finish high school, traveled and worked thru out the world started and sold three publishing co. was consultant to ucsd and a large newspaper chain. Now in my late 70s am in awe of whats going on in the android market place and want to learn all about it. maybe this will be my next career. i have a nook color that is rooted and want to see how far i can take it . I have so much to learn and i love reading about what you guy are accumplishing. I will be reading and probing.:cool:

GO for it ... I love hacking :) Now my NT has BN, Amazon and Android market. I can do all kinds of stuff with it. I will also point out when I did the 'root' I didn't think it worked so I tried running it again. It came back saying that my unit was already 'rooted' but it asked if I wanted to apply the patch to keep the new BN update OTA to happen. I did and so far no crappy update :D:D

Jacob06

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I rooted the other day and have both amazon and google marketplace. I was using go launcher but someone suggested using nook color file manager in google app store, now i can bring the apps to the main screen with my other stuff.

So awesome!!!

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Does this still work since the latest update. Just bought my wife a NT and she's pissed she has re-buy apps that she's already gotten for free off the market on her phone.

Cuda

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Does this still work since the latest update. Just bought my wife a NT and she's pissed she has re-buy apps that she's already gotten for free off the market on her phone.

Cuda

Can't she just add her rooted NT to her Google account and then download the apps onto her NT?

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Tell me more. I haven't really played with it yet. I can't imagine how pissed she's gonna be if she finds out she's been doing it wrong the while time. LOL.

Well, if her NT isn't rooted, that's a little more than I can get into with just a quick post. I'll need to steer you towards another forum with more details.

From what you're saying, I'm assuming the NT is rooted. If that's so, depending on the method used, you should have the Android Marketplace installed. Just start it up and register using the same login you normally use for the Android Marketplace. Doing this will this new device to your account and I would think you'd be able to install any purchased apps to your NT without repurchasing.

- Byron

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, if her NT isn't rooted, that's a little more than I can get into with just a quick post. I'll need to steer you towards another forum with more details.

From what you're saying, I'm assuming the NT is rooted. If that's so, depending on the method used, you should have the Android Marketplace installed. Just start it up and register using the same login you normally use for the Android Marketplace. Doing this will this new device to your account and I would think you'd be able to install any purchased apps to your NT without repurchasing.

- Byron

That was my original question. Do the rooting procedures in this thread still apply to the recently updated NT? Her NT is not rooted. I would like to root it but just want to know how easy it is and if there are any step by step instructions for noobs yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
That was my original question. Do the rooting procedures in this thread still apply to the recently updated NT? Her NT is not rooted. I would like to root it but just want to know how easy it is and if there are any step by step instructions for noobs yet.

I haven't looked through the steps listed here but, even if I did, more likely than not this probably refers back to threads on the xda-developers site, the main home of the NT rooting scene.

I used a method confirmed to work for 1.4.0, 1.4.1 and 1.4.2. You use the instructions to create a root sd card and then boot from it. Follow the instructions and then you're rooted. As far as I'm concerned, it couldn't be simpler.

You can check out the thread here:

[SD Root] Make 16GB Nook Tablet Root SD Cards by Albert Wertz [SDNT16gbV4.6] - xda-developers

You can also look around at the other threads. There are other methods and you may see something that appeals to you more. Pay special attention to anything from Albert Wertz. He puts together excellent procedures and usually has accompanying videos. He has a great YouTube channel.

- Byron

Reactions: Cuda52774

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I looked back at the beginning of this thread. Just as I thought, it refers back to xda-developers. I originally used this method on my NT back in December when I was version 1.4.0. This method still works but only for version 1.4.0. If you're running a later version, you'll need to revert back 1.4.0 and then root. I used this method and it worked well for a while but eventually Read In-Store stopped working for me and I was pretty sure it was related to the way OTA updates were blocked.

After looking around, I found the method I linked you to previously and it sounded better since I could use it to root 1.4.2. Once rooted, I used a different method for blocking OTA updates and I have full NT functionality back including Read In-Store as well as root access and all it provides.

I say take the plunge. I think it's pretty hard to really mess anything up so bad that you can't do a full factory restore to recover from so what have you got to lose other than time? I had never rooted anything in my life until I started this. I had a couple of false starts and learned quite a bit in the process but it's all relatively easy.

Good luck.

- Byron

Reactions: Cuda52774

Cuda52774

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey Byron, didn't work for me as we bought the new 8gb tablet for my wife. B&N went through some great lengths to keep people from rooting this thing but I found a guy on XDA that found a way to root it. Going to start a new thread here for it. Thanks for all your help.

Cuda

bfollowell

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Hey Byron, didn't work for me as we bought the new 8gb tablet for my wife. B&N went through some great lengths to keep people from rooting this thing but I found a guy on XDA that found a way to root it. Going to start a new thread here for it. Thanks for all your help.

Cuda

I'm sorry. You didn't say and the 8GB is so new that I just assumed it was a 16GB unit. Yes, I'd heard that there were finally some root methods for these but I can't really comment on them. Good luck and steer towards anything from Albert Wertz or Indirect if they have anything available for the 8GB.

Also, nothing against these boards at all but this isn't the place to post for root help. If you really need advice, you need to register on and use the xda-developer forums. Make certain to post questions in the Q&A forum and you'll likely have no end of help.

- Byron