Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By richcxx
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Love the Nook Tablet!

Decided to go Android. Never had an android device. Not even a smart phone. Wanted a good reader that could double as a bare bones tablet. I purchased a Nook Color from Walmart, a Fire from Amazon and a Nook Tablet from B&N. Used all three side by side for 3 days. For me the Nook Tablet was the clear winner for useability, functionality and overall value. I can see the Tablet still going strong with software upgrades and 1gig of ram two years down the road. I think the Fire will be replace by the Fire2 or maybe call it the "Inferno". The fire in it's current form is not ready for prime time IMO. Walmart took back the Nook Color no questions asked as did Amazon with the Fire.
    The tablet won out for me as soon as I disabled the lock out for 3rd party downloads. Having access to all of Amazon's kindle content and all their apps plus the google marketplace was the real kicker for me in deciding on the Tablet. Best of all, there were no custom SD cards to buy, no rooting to be done. Just a 5 minute fix in the hidden settings menu to enable 3rd party vendors.
    This is what I was hoping the Nook Tablet would be.

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

Default Re: Love the Nook Tablet!

How did you "disable the lock out for 3rd party downloads"?
    Rew001's Smartphone History: Tmo Dash --> BB Curve --> BB Storm(1) --> iPhone 3GS -->Droid Incredible --> Droid X -->Galaxy Nexus --> iPhone 5 --> HTC DNA --> Galaxy S4!!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by rew001 View Post
    How did you "disable the lock out for 3rd party downloads"?
    First I found an interesting article on XDA about many people having problems with getting their SD card to work properly in the Nook Tablet. It was stated that if you format your SD card internally with the Nook you may have problems downloading apps with it. Same goes for formating your card using your desktop or laptop windows formatter. The ONLY formatter that will assure you of trouble free downloads is SD Formatter 3.1 which is a free download to your desktop computer. Once I had my Sandisk 16gig formatted I followed this link How to sideload apps on the NOOK Tablet (Amazon Appstore, GO Launcher EX) - Liliputing to the letter and eveything worked like a charm. When I'm in the Nook Home page I just hit the nook button at the bottom, hit search and type "GO", select it and the home page switches to all my apps including third party apps such as Amazon store. I hit that app and I've got access to all of Amazon content. Once you enable 3rd party downloads the Nook Tablet just comes alive with possibilities. After spending two days brousing Barns & Noble apps and finding nothing but junk I'm positively stunned at the variety and selection available to me now.
    I highly recommend you download the ez go loader app and the ZDBox toolkit app that the person recommends. Just those two, open up the doors to full android apps and tears down the B&N Walls. Best of all, no rooting or custom SD cards required. Just a 5 minute reset of yur settings menu.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    JBSourcery 2.4/ Franco 6

The audio volume on the Nook Tablet is too low to be heard unless I hold it up to my ear like a phone. I had high hopes for this device but unfortunately it's going back tomorrow. Even my smartphone has way louder volume. Too bad.

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wtherrell View Post
    The audio volume on the Nook Tablet is too low to be heard unless I hold it up to my ear like a phone. I had high hopes for this device but unfortunately it's going back tomorrow. Even my smartphone has way louder volume. Too bad.
    That would be my one complaint about the Nook Tablet. It was not a deal breaker for me, since I usually use my headphones for audio.

Mohawkz- I just asked about this in another thread and found that your link is the one I was sent. It still seems very complicated to me. To purchase a Fire is not under consideration...

Grump.

Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    ROM
    Sideload App Method

I got one last night its awesome and the price is great.

The processor is fast, it played videos that I use for my iPhone, pictures, view PDF's no problem, the email client is ok but not great.

I did the side load app method it was so simple, just the harder part is finding the APK files to load in. I'm still debating if I should do a full root to get the android market.

And the speaker is plenty loud; I don't know why others were saying its so low unless they were talking about the color and they improved the speaker in the tablet.

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I love my NT as well. For what it is it works great. And I love the size, perfect! My wife has the iPad and I could not see me reading as much as I do holding that thing up all the time. Yeah the NT has opportunities to improve but for a good reader with decent tablet capabilities it works just fine for me.
    tinal38 likes this.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

hi, I'm thinking of getting a Nook Tablet. Would you recommend an 8Gb or a 16Gb one? Is there enough space for personal data?

Thanks for advice!

Quote Originally Posted by niura View Post
    hi, I'm thinking of getting a Nook Tablet. Would you recommend an 8Gb or a 16Gb one? Is there enough space for personal data?

Thanks for advice!
    Depends on how much personal data you want to keep on there. If you buy a lot of apps and books and want to keep them all on the device, the 16Gb would probably be the better option. But don't buy one expecting to be able to sideload 3rd party apps onto the device anymore unless you don't mind rooting it. B&N disabled that abilty right before Christmas last year. If you want more options on the device without rooting it, your only option now is to run it off a dual-boot sd card.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Thank you very much... as far as i understand, by rooting a Nook I would be able to install android apps bought from non- B&N markets. Are there any dangers in rooting a Nook?

No dangers really, just make sure you've read directions on the process and understand what you're doing. You should also be aware that rooting it does invalidate the warranty.

Ok so I have the Nook Color! I was wondering if there was a way that I could turn my nook & my refurbished computer into adroid operating systems. Like could I turn my refurbished computer into a tablet? Does that make sense? Androids rock! I just want my laptop to be a machine that runs on apps I know that it might sound stupid but I know that it can be done. How would I turn my Nook Color into an Android operating system. The apps that are available I have to pay for I really don't know what the Nook Color runs on .....HELP!!!!! LOL!

Shekinah Russell

Do you have any easier steps so i could get apps without rooting my nook tablet ? What kind of SD card do i need to get ?

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Sandisk speed 4 16 GB is what I am using. Works great!